• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Literal translations of placenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Diverging from this thread, discussing the name of Llwynypia station. (I'm trying to be good and not drag the thread off-topic.)
What's the matter with it ? It is a Welsh place name and there are hundreds more of them. I think the English meaning would sound more strange, "The Grove of The Magpie".
That's a thought-game I've sometimes played: coming up with literal English equivalents of Welsh place names that have no translation. They can give a completely different impression of a place. Here's a few that I've formed:

Well's Dale: Pantyffynnon
Fairfields: Maesteg
Little St Mary's : Llanfairfechan
White Isle: Ynyswen

I'd be interested in hearing non-Welsh-speakers' impressions of these names (and also those of our bilingual members).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Great idea for a thread. Can we include Scottish ones?

What's the literal translation for that extremely long Welsh one, Llanfairpwl.......gogogoch?

Established Member
Great idea for a thread. Can we include Scottish ones?

What's the literal translation for that extremely long Welsh one, Llanfairpwl.......gogogoch?

"Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave."

transmanche

Established Member
"Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave."
Although Llan is often translated as 'church' in this context, it's probably more accurate to say it's akin to 'parish' and effectively just means the place is/was a small town or village.

(In Welsh, a church is Eglwys.)

Parallel

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a literal translation for Pontarddulais and Penrhyndeudraeth?

I know that Minffordd translates to ‘Road side’

Adlington

Wikipedia says : A literal English translation of the name Pontarddulais is "Bridge over the Dulais", with Dulais meaning "black stream", probably due to its course through coal measures.

transmanche

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a literal translation for Pontarddulais and Penrhyndeudraeth?
Pontarddulais: Pont is a bridge, so Pontarddulais is 'Bridge on the (River) Dulais' (or Dulaisbridge).

Penrhyndeudraeth: Pen usually refers to the top, head or end; e,g, the top of a hill and Penrhyn means a headland or peninsula. Dreath is a mutation of treath, which is a beach. So my best guess is 'Headland with two beaches' (or 'Two-beach headland').

Established Member
Although Llan is often translated as 'church' in this context, it's probably more accurate to say it's akin to 'parish' and effectively just means the place is/was a small town or village.

(In Welsh, a church is Eglwys.)

Ah yes, I remember now. :)

I studied Welsh in Year 7, but that was a long time ago!

transmanche

Established Member
Technically I believe the more commonly used name for Dublin in Irish is Baile Atha Cliath - Town of the hurdle ford.
Yes, the modern Irish name for the city of Dublin is Baile Átha Cliath, but Dubh Linn and Baile Átha Cliath originally referred to separate settlements. Dubh Linn was located where the River Poddle meets the River Liffey, roughly around the back of Dublin Castle. Baile Átha Cliath was a fording point located roughly where Father Matthew Bridge is today.

But regardless of that, the modern English name Dublin is a corruption of Dubh Linn, which means Blackpool.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
But regardless of that, the modern English name Dublin is a corruption of Dubh Linn, which means Blackpool.

I believe that's because Dubh Linn was the area where the British stayed when Britain first ruled over Ireland, while the Irish themselves inhabited Baile Atha Cliath?

transmanche

Established Member
I believe that's because Dubh Linn was the area where the British stayed when Britain first ruled over Ireland, while the Irish themselves inhabited Baile Atha Cliath?
Possibly. Although, there wasn't a political entity called Britain then - and the 'British' were more accurately the Anglo-Normans.

Getting closer back to the topic, the modern Welsh name for Dublin is Dulyn, which means Black Lake...

Howardh

Established Member
The literal translation for Bolton couldn't be shown on a family messageboard, although I can use the latter of the two words, Hole.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
While we're at it, don't leave out the derivations of English place names from various languages...
http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/ is a searchable academic place to start, from which:
Crewe = weir (from Primitive Welsh)
Bristol = bridge place (Old English)
Derby = deer farm/settlement (Old Norse)
Settle = dwelling (Old English)

Josie

I'm fond of the River Dore, whose name is said to come from Welsh dŵr ('water') but later be misinterpreted by the Normans to d'or ('of gold'). The part of Herefordshire it flows through is now called the Golden Valley.

gg1

Established Member
If we expand the rules to translations from languages other than Welsh, Bredon Hill in Worcestershire translates as Hill Hill Hill and the River Avon is River River.

There are also a few other location/geographical features in Britain who's names are derived from the same word in more than one language.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Porthcawl - "gate soup"
That sounds like an Uxbridge English Dictionary definition! :D

More likely is Harbour of the Gauls. (Porth, in the sense of a gateway, can also mean a harbour. Cawl is probably a corruption of Gaul rather than a reference to a delicious soup or broth.)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

More likely is Harbour of the Gauls. (Porth, in the sense of a gateway, can also mean a harbour. Cawl is probably a corruption of Gaul rather than a reference to a delicious soup or broth.)
It was a tongue-in-cheek one, should've used a smiley!

etr221

There is a story that somewhere on a map of one the farther reaches of the Empire there was a place whose name translated into English was "I don't know" - result of the the surveying team having asked a native less likely than he looked what it was called...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The literal translation for Bolton couldn't be shown on a family messageboard, although I can use the latter of the two words, Hole.

Wikipedia says it comes from the Olde English Bothl-tun or 'settlement with a dwelling'

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member

I wouldn't be so sure... Welsh place names can be strange indeed... near me there is a village called Nant-y-Caws which literally translates as "the Cheese Brook" and in Carmarthen {or to give it it's Welsh name Caerfyrddin - Merlin's Fort} the park & ride is at Nant-y-Ci or Dog Brook.

transmanche

Established Member
[QUOTE="Teflon Lettuce, post: 3534692, member: 21764]I wouldn't be so sure... Welsh place names can be strange indeed... near me there is a village called Nant-y-Caws which literally translates as "the Cheese Brook"[/QUOTE]Probably not the same one, but I've been to the one near Oswestry. I discussed its meaning, at length, with my Mum. She wonders if it was a place where cheese was left in the stream to cool.

Anyhoo, the Ordnance Survey seems to think that the cawl in Porthcawl comes from sea kale.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Touching on Germanic place names for a moment, Todmorden in West Yorks literally translates from German as Deathmurder.

The western German town of Geilenkirchen translates as Horny Churches.

And the northern German town of Fickmühlen translates as f*ckmills :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.