• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Little dispute with First Capital Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

shlg2

I think one thing that frustrates me is that the rail companies have been recruiting passengers to help maintain stations and so on, but the voice of the passenger in terms of the overall lived experience on routes is a lot less than a modern system should allow. Given that the subsidy for all these companies remains substantial I do think passengers are seen too often as cash cows and not often enough as partners in the service.

<rant over>!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If I recall, FCC have done this before, where the ticket was being (incorrectly) advertised as perfectly valid on the FCC company journey planner but (correctly) being disputed by FCC company staff.

It was about 8 months ago - regarding Brookmans Park.

I'm really hoping there are some experts on here who can explain things for me. My daughter travelled from Brookman's Park to King's Cross having bought a return ticket and adding in the travelcard option from the machine at Brookman's Park. On her return journey later that day she got a text from her boyfriend saying he would pick her up at Hatfield where she'd normally change for Brookman's Park.

A revenue inspector checked her ticket at Hatfield and said she had to pay a penalty fare and the cost of a ticket from Brookman's Park. She asked why, some discussion ensued and she is now being prosecuted. She still has the receipt although her ticket was taken. We can't work out why it wasn't valid for the return journey and having checked conditions of carriage they confirm it is possible to end a journey early unless you've bought an advance ticket. I have checked the whole thing through on the National Rail website and her ticket was correct as far as we can work out.

We wrote to FCC on receipt of their notice of intent to prosecute but got no explanation, only a summons. Can anyone with more knowledge than I please shed some light on why this ticket was not valid for the return journey an why she is being prosecuted?

I wish they'd learn.

Established Member
I'm aware FCC later stated they were going to stand by the data on the website even though it was wrong, however no mention of what went on with the court case occured.

The ticket is not valid via Cambridge due to both the fares rule and a negative easement.

You can probably cycle from your house to Cambridge station in 15 minutes though, or use Foxton.

Otherwise simply ask for the cheapest ticket to Kings Cross via Cambridge. If they sell the incorrect ticket, get them to put it in writing that it's valid via Cambridge to cover you.

At the moment Shelford is partially unstaffed due to sickness, been travelling there everyday for the past three months and the booking office is locked up with a note in the window with possible dates the booking hall is open but no guarantees, basically the OP only has the machines to buy a ticket

If it was me I would travel down to Tottenham Hale and cross to Finsbury Park from there

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did we ever find out what happened there?
Yes. I contacted FCC. FCC customer services agreed an itinerary being shown makes the ticket valid. I was assured that they'd never take anyone to court over this.

Well, they did, but withdrew at the last moment when they realised the defendant had proper legal representation and was going to win the case.

Costs were awarded against FCC, which I understand were not a trivial sum.

Ultimately it'll be taxpayers who pay for such blunders, due to the way rail franchising works. We effectively subsidise TOCs to wrongly prosecute people and we pay the price when they get it wrong. Lovely.

If anyone is prosecuted by FCC, and is in the right, then make sure you get yourself good legal representation. (If you are in the wrong, try to settle out of court!)

I don't know the outcome of each case posted here, because not every person gets back to us. In some successful cases the person who won does not want to publicise the fact, which I will of course respect, so I can't always reveal the outcome. But in this case the customer involved in the Brookmans Park/Hatfield case is happy for me to reveal the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.