• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Little peak/off peak station puzzle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Yesterday travelled into Manchester in the afternoon peak (and paid more for the privilege). Got off @ Oxford road and used the cafe there to kill 20 minutes.

Made me wonder, what are the rules if I had an off-peak ticket and arrived correctly, but then decided to use the cafe thus taking me into peak hours, and then attempted to leave the station?

Would the barrier "know" the train had arrived and I'd spent 20 mins in the cafe? Would the barrier guards be aware that some folk will be using that facility in peak times with an off-peak ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The barriers at Oxford Road aren't programmed correctly anyway, so it's even harder to say for certain what would have happened given that we don't know what ticket you held, or would hold. ;)

If the barriers did reject your ticket, and you'd arrived earlier whilst the off peak ticket was valid, a quick explanation to the gateline attendant should be enough, and if not I'm sure somebody in the cafe, or your receipt, would back your story up.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
The barriers at Oxford Road aren't programmed correctly anyway, so it's even harder to say for certain what would have happened given that we don't know what ticket you held, or would hold. ;)

If the barriers did reject your ticket, and you'd arrived earlier whilst the off peak ticket was valid, a quick explanation to the gateline attendant should be enough, and if not I'm sure somebody in the cafe, or your receipt, would back your story up.

That's a good shout - would solve any difficulties. If there's two of you with the one receipt, best leave at the same time though :idea:

BTW yesterday was a peak return so no worries, but if I'd caught the previous train and gone off-peak (arriving during the peak but that's OK) I could have used the cafe for some time into the peak hours. But the canned beer's a bit too expensive to have more than one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.