• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LIV-HFD, any more interesting routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I'm beyond useless at using the routing guide, so I'm having to ask you all here instead.

I'm a little bored of the Liverpool-Crewe-Hereford route, so I'm looking for something more interesting. It appears it's valid via Warrington, but not certain on that. I see I can book Advances with a change at either Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport, so it's a reasonable assumption it's valid that way too.

I know I can also go via Chester or via the Borderlands line, which on its own is interesting but then it still involves the awfully boring run between Wrexham and Shrewsbury. I hate that bit between Gobowen and Shrewsbury especially.

So anyone able to confirm validity via Manchester or Warrington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loop & Link

I've just had a look on the Journey Planner and it won't let me do it via Manchester or Warrington. The only way would be splitting the ticket.

Loop & Link

Am just as useless at the routing guide (must be in the wrong job) so just going off the journey planner on the Star machine!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ahhh. National Rail will happily route me via Warrington, then gives me a walk up single of more ching via Manchester but not a return fare!

Quakkerillo

Liverpool Group Hereford BV+HB//CH+AW//CH+BJ+HB//CV+AW//NO+BM+HB//NR+BM+HB

First is via Chester/Runcorn and Birmingham, second via Shrewsbury, third via Rugeley and Birgminham, fourth via Crewe and Shrewsbury, fifth is via Warrington (or Manchester) to Birmingham via Earlestown, last is same as the fifth, but via Warrington Central

So if I understood the routeing guide correctly, you can go via Manchester or Warrington.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Liverpool Group and Hereford are both routeing points so all you have to do is look up the map combinations in the Routeing Guide yellow pages: no fares checks are required. Via Manchester or Warrington seems to be allowed by map combinations NO+BM+HB or NR+BM+HB, so you are in luck.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I've just had a look on the Journey Planner and it won't let me do it via Manchester or Warrington. The only way would be splitting the ticket.
If you're going via Manchester you have to then continue via Birmingham - you can't take the direct train from Manchester to Hereford via Shrewsbury. Maybe you haven't put in enough via points?

Veteran Member
If you're going via Manchester you have to then continue via Birmingham - you can't take the direct train from Manchester to Hereford via Shrewsbury. Maybe you haven't put in enough via points?

That may be the case in terms of getting a through fare or itinerary, but in practice there would be no way of preventing Liverpool-Manchester-Crewe then Crewe-Hereford, switching to CV+AV, and I would be very surprised to have the second leg queried.

There was a similar anomaly that meant Marylebone-Birmingham-Blackburn was theoretically only valid via Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.