• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Live signalling diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

I’ve just discovered Traksy, in addition to Real Train Times and Open Train Times:

https://traksy.uk

But no maps on:

Are there any other live maps of trains and signals?

Are some better than others? What are the things some might have that others don’t?

Are there any that cover the top part of Scotland? Traksy has no maps for Inverness or Aberdeen. Or is that a no because they all just portray the same Network Rail data in their own way?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Signalmaps is another one. Its my preferred one.

Same, with OpenTrainTimes a second choice. I prefer the layout and *black back ground (*saves battery), shows the position of points, colour coded delay boxes are a very nice touch, clicking next map stays within the same tab instead of opening another page and clicking the headcodes usually always comes up with the proper schedule (via RTT) where as clicking the headcodes on OpenTrainTimes usually doesn't work properly.

Inversnecky

OTT always seems to hang on my phone, saying it’s disconnected.

RTT doesn’t have a map though, does it?

Steve Harris

Same, with OpenTrainTimes a second choice. I prefer the layout and *black back ground (*saves battery), shows the position of points, colour coded delay boxes are a very nice touch, clicking next map stays within the same tab instead of opening another page and clicking the headcodes usually always comes up with the proper schedule (via RTT) where as clicking the headcodes on OpenTrainTimes usually doesn't work properly.
Yep, sometimes the headcodes don't work properly on OTT (normally do to running late or it being obfuscated), but between OTT and Traksy you can normally find out what you need to know.

I have only just come across Signalmaps, unfortunately for me, I'm not a lover of the black background.

One thing Traksy and Signalmaps do have in common is that they appear to be updated promptly when any changes are carried out, and also their diagrams seem to be more accurate than OTT.

OTT always seems to hang on my phone, saying it’s disconnected.

RTT doesn’t have a map though, does it?
Nope.

Domh245

Established Member
Signalmaps looks good, but it doesn't seem to have the same level of coverage as Traksy/OTT (or at the least, no particularly useful search tool)

Inversnecky

Here’s some comparative screenshots. Traksy has point labelling; signal maps seems to have a limited number of routes available.

It seems Traksy and OTT don’t have the same track layout even.

02C4B594-8E7C-4798-9534-437095B58A71.jpeg

FC9177A0-D95B-4666-A536-A9A014FB560B.jpeg

86B4BFF0-EE7F-467B-B557-D9A23B73BB68.jpeg

(No Edinburgh on Signal Maps.)

LAX54

Established Member
Signalmaps looks good, but it doesn't seem to have the same level of coverage as Traksy/OTT (or at the least, no particularly useful search tool)
Signalmaps easier on the eye (as it's black) and shows actual route set, If I cannot access CCF, this is my next go to, assuming I can get on t'internet at work !

Steve Harris

It seems Traksy and OTT don’t have the same track layout even.
That doesn't surprise me one bit.

I found a layout error on OTT and emailed them notifying them of the error. I even attached a youtube drivers eye view video to helo explain what was wrong. I'm still awaiting a reply 2 months later!

On the other hand I noticed some wrong platform numbering on traksy and had a reply in hours and the map was updated within 24hrs. The guy who runs Traksy said that he uses Sectional Appendix's (if he can get hold of current in date issues).

Therefore, I would go with the Traksy map being more accurate.

Signalmaps easier on the eye (as it's black) and shows actual route set, If I cannot access CCF, this is my next go to, assuming I can get on t'internet at work !
Actual route set is also shown on some OTT maps (obviously due to data feed limitations, as some feeds will have route set data and some won't).

CCF ?

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the other hand I noticed some wrong platform numbering on traksy and had a reply in hours and the map was updated within 24hrs. The guy who runs Traksy said that he uses Sectional Appendix's (if he can get hold of current in date issues).

Yep I've had a similar experience. I was on a railtour and spotted that the loop we were in was not showing on Traksy correctly. Sent an email, got a prompt reply and it was fixed shortly afterwards.

So, as you can probably guess, Traksy has been my go to for signal mapping for a while now.

TheEdge

Established Member
Signalmaps is made by someone within the industry which helps it. It almost identical to (in some way it actually shows more than) CCF.

Inversnecky

Does anyone else have trouble seeing Traksy on a PC? I have a big "about" dialogue box with a "hide" button, which doesn't work, making it unusable.

James284

does anyone know a signal map for Dundee, Aberdeen, highlands? Tracksy and signalmaps only seem to go as far as fife

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I now prefer Traksy to OTT, though some of the reasons for that are off topic for this thread ;)

The creators of Traksy, OTT and RTT are all on this forum; Traksy's creator (@takno) being the most active.

Romsey

Control Centre of the Future
Internal use only by signallers and control offices. Not (officially) available to train planners or engineering access planners.
When I last met it about 5 years ago there was a limited number of logins per control area.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Thanx for the full explanation. I presume CCF maps are only available to railway employees ?

CCF is the Network Rail mapping system (developed originally by AEA Technology) but some TOCs use alternative industry mapping systems like P2 or Tornado. Even internally NR IT charges company cost centres £600 for each installation and there are only a limited number of licenses available, so only certain staff can have access. CCF is due to be replaced by a more modern version called Train Movement Viewer in the next 12 months though I haven’t heard anything about it for a while.

Steve Harris

Yep, though to be honest you aren't missing anything much.
Thanx, that's not a problem.

The only issue is with the original mention of it on a forum which is open to non railway employees who obviously don't have access to it, so is only partially relevant to the topic being discussed.

That's not your fault btw as you are one of the few people in the industry who (remembers that not everyone on here is an "insider" and) explains things (very well) to us mere muggles.

does anyone know a signal map for Dundee, Aberdeen, highlands? Tracksy and signalmaps only seem to go as far as fife
You won't find any signal maps for areas controlled by Mechanical Signalbox's as I don't think they can generate a useable data feed.

Down my way, Manea to Peterborough isn't covered because of that very reason.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
You won't find any signal maps for areas controlled by Mechanical Signalbox's as I don't think they can generate a useable data feed.

Down my way, Manea to Peterborough isn't covered because of that very reason.
Some areas with mechanical boxes are covered. In general the Southern region has pretty comprehensive coverage even for mechanical or small panel boxes. Scotland by contrast doesn't have any coverage outside of the two signalling centres (except for the new Inverness workstations) . The data is never being hidden from the open data feed though - if we can't see it then neither can internal systems

Status
Not open for further replies.