• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool and Manchester, back to four track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Can anybody tell me how much truth there is in this?

Yes, Dave is right, it has been payed for, and the work is due to start early next year, the four track section will start just after Broadgreen Station, and then run through Roby and Huyton before leading off to St Helens and Wigan. It will allow faster and more frequent services between Liverpool and Blackpool, Preston, Wigan and Manchester.

Joe Airtime

(from the Auran N3V trainz Forum)

I thought this was just a rumour? It will be great if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it!
Thanks,
Rob

It could explain the huge amount of foliage clearance thats just been done in Roby and Huyton Stations, although I assumed that was just for leaf-fall purposes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
If the work has been indeed been payed for, then it's highly likley that is the reason for the tree felling. ;)

DavidL

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid there's no real significant details* (we know that the work, or a subset of it, has appeared in a RUS / Hub plan), but I started a thread about the Veg clearance at Roby, which may be worth a read:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53495

* - I think the significant detail was that four tracking will/probably occur somewhere between Broadgreen and Roby, and may run to Huyton Jct, past Huyton Jct, or not quite to Huyton Jct ;)

-David

John55

The NR website has in the Northern Hub area a document called "The Manchester Hub Rail Study". (The name has changed since to Northern Hub)
This in option 2 (the one being taken forward) has the following statement

5.26 Broad Green –
Huyton four-tracking

Two additional electrified tracks over
two miles, including Roby and Huyton
stations, with associated resignalling

Improved capacity allowing freight
and stopping services to recess.

The junction for the extra tracks has to be some distance east of Broad Green as the track has to slew from the old slow lines through Broad Green station to the other side of the formation to take up former fast line path. So the 2 miles mentioned above would cover as far a Huyton Junction.

When I passed the vegetation clearance at Roby a week or so ago it looked as though a haul road was being created to allow plant road access to Roby station from Huyton station were there is road access. There is a stone arch road bridge at the west end of Roby station platforms which will require some work to achieve electrification clearances and new access will be required for the electrification work anyway.

pablo

When I were a lad it were four tracks all the way from Edge Hill to Huyton. Fast on southern side. Dare say M62 b*88ered that up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.