• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool area: Pacers, 507s etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Liverpool next weekend. Other half is going to part of the Labour conference (yawn) so I have Sunday and up to about 12:00 Monday to bag as many outstanding 507/508s and Pacers as I can - all of which will likely be gone before I come back for another go. Obviously a lot will be parked up on the Sunday so suggestions please for the best locations to visit!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi all,

Planning a trip to Liverpool next weekend. Other half is going to part of the Labour conference (yawn) so I have Sunday and up to about 12:00 Monday to bag as many outstanding 507/508s and Pacers as I can - all of which will likely be gone before I come back for another go. Obviously a lot will be parked up on the Sunday so suggestions please for the best locations to visit!

The best place to get as many Class 507s/508s depends on which line you want to use, if you want to stay on the Northern Line then Sandhills is the best place to look, if you want to go on the Wirral Line (or both) then Liverpool Central is the best.

The best place for Class 142s is Lime Street.

Julia

Thanks... what about reliable places to find the ones not in service that day?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The depot is just after Birkenhead North towards West Kirby and New Brighton. You can pass it by getting on a New Brighton or West Kirby train. There is also a large stabling point which is likely to have quite a lot in at Kirkdale. Just get either an Ormskirk or Kirkby train to Kirkdale and you'll pass it. The 142 depot is in Manchester but by being on a non merseyrail train from Liverpool South Parkway to Hunts Cross you'll pass Allerton which should have loads of 319s and a few 156s in.

prod_pep

Established Member
On Sunday, I'd strongly recommend the Northern Line as it should have 22 units in service; the Wirral Line will only have 11. There will be plenty of units stabled at Kirkdale depot too so Sandhills would be a good base provided the weather isn't too nasty. It's worth noting that Southport has nothing stabled on weekends at this time of year so it's not worth the journey unless there is a failure in service.

On the Wirral Line, there will be a couple of units parked up at New Brighton and probably one or two visible at Birkenhead North depot on Sunday. If you do the Wirral Line, Hamilton Square is the best location for seeing all units quickly.

Allerton depot (visible from Liverpool South Parkway station) often has 142s stabled in the evenings, so I would assume the same is true for Sunday daytimes. Sundays are also a decent day for seeing 142s in service as diesels cover the regular 319s on the line through St Helens Central. I've had paired 142s on this route on Sundays earlier in the summer so this might be a decent shout.

On the Monday morning, you can see up to 50 units in service from around 8.00 to 09.30 at Liverpool Central. There will be 28 on the Northern Line and 22 on the Wirral Line during this period. You might also see one or two more at Kirkdale and Birkenhead North.

Status
Not open for further replies.