• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LIVERPOOL DERAILMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Apparently there has been a derailment in Liverpool

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Apparently there has. I'm trying to find infomation at the moment and I'll post it in Rail News. Ta to Simming for the heads up.

Tom B

Established Member
90 people on board a commuter train between Lime St and Central stations according to the 7pm news. Reported to be no casualties.

Guinness

Established Member
Happened around the Liverpool Cental Area. Merseyrail Electrics Tracks.

Guinness

Established Member
ITV News Website

A rush hour underground train packed with commuters has derailed in Liverpool city centre.

Around 90 passengers were thought to be on board the service as it travelled from Lime Street to Central station at around 6pm.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Ambulance Service said they had received no reports of any injuries at this stage.

A search and rescue team are at the scene attempting to reach stranded commuters, a spokesman for Merseyside Fire Service said.

Guinness

Established Member
Not much point in bets IMO.

Network Rail planting Bambo down in the Tunnel.

Tom B

Established Member
20mph minor derailments don't usually produce many deaths... though an excellent excuse for the tabloids to kick up.

Jim

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Cockfosters said:
20mph minor derailments don't usually produce many deaths... though an excellent excuse for the tabloids to kick up.
I can think of at least 1 exception

Like what?

Even the tube derailments like Chancery Lane did not kill anyone :!:

Guinness

Established Member
It could of Derailed at 20mph but then anything can happen such as Fire, Falling Down a Viaduct, Hitting Track Workers nearby (20mph TSR) doesn't matter about there speed depends on what happened fully from start to finish of the Accident.

T

Tom

Jim said:
TheSlash said:
Cockfosters said:
I can think of at least 1 exception

Like what?

Even the tube derailments like Chancery Lane did not kill anyone :!:

Tube derailments aren't that dangerous actually whatever happens as long as they are in deep tube, yes, the after-effects are what kill, but the initial derailment doesn't do much, it just bounces around in the tunnel like a bouncy ball, it can injure, but it certainly doesn't kill.

Tom B

Established Member
Indeed, but I'm sure you'll agree that, generally speaking of course, the faster the incident happened the more injuries / deaths will occur.

Jim

Established Member
AlexS said:
EPB hit the buffers at Cannon Street at a few miles per hour (5ish?) and people actually died.

That is shocking. On Slammers, evereyone is normally out before it gets anywere near the buffers :lol:

metrocammel

Of course the exception of deep tubes being "safe" was Moorgate, although there, altough no one is sure exactly what happend the driver didnt apply the brakes and it it the end of the tunnel at (30?mph-or whatever the max speed of 38 stock is) and plenty of people, including the driver died there as the train crumpled up.

I dont think vandalism could be the cause of the crash at Liverpool, as it was "underground", but there was a 20 TSR, so perhaps driving too fast? There have been a few buffer smash style crashes in Liverpool, two Pendo's this time last year hit the buffers at low speed this time last year (within a week-or-so of each other) and back when 142's were new one hit the buffers at Lime Street, and actually lifted up into angle the air(!), I think one car was written off, but it was either very lightly loaded or an ecs so there was no casualties.

T

Tom

metrocammel said:
Of course the exception of deep tubes being "safe" was Moorgate, although there, altough no one is sure exactly what happend the driver didnt apply the brakes and it it the end of the tunnel at (30?mph-or whatever the max speed of 38 stock is) and plenty of people, including the driver died there as the train crumpled up.

I dont think vandalism could be the cause of the crash at Liverpool, as it was "underground", but there was a 20 TSR, so perhaps driving too fast? There have been a few buffer smash style crashes in Liverpool, two Pendo's this time last year hit the buffers at low speed this time last year (within a week-or-so of each other) and back when 142's were new one hit the buffers at Lime Street, and actually lifted up into angle the air(!), I think one car was written off, but it was either very lightly loaded or an ecs so there was no casualties.

The tubes the train was running in was not designed for the trains. It was a tube sized train running in mainline gauge tunnels. The train crashed at 37mph (I believe), the couplers failed and the carriages ran on top of each other. This is not possible in tunnel which is designed for that particular train.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
btw metrocammel i think 38TS can do 40-45 (max speed if the island line stock anyway unless it was modified)

does anyone actually know the number of the 507/508 involved?

T

Tom

heart-of-wessex said:
btw metrocammel i think 38TS can do 40-45 (max speed if the island line stock anyway unless it was modified)

does anyone actually know the number of the 507/508 involved?

The 38TS can do 40-45mph max, BUT line speed into Moorgate at the time was 20mph, he sped up after half way through the platform... causing the hit speed of 37mph.

It was a refurbished unit which was involved from what I can make out.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
It was a refurbished unit which was involved from what I can make out.

well thats obvious seeing that they are all refurbs :P (well according to the plat. 5 EMUs 2006 they are)

TheSlash

Established Member
I was thinking of Cannon Street. A 10 coach train formed of 2 x 4 EPB and 1 x 2 EPB hit the buffers after the brakes failed to apply. The design of the vehicle allowed the 7th coach to ride up into the air and push through the end of the 6th coach. The coach strength was weakend beause all the doors were open.

Status
Not open for further replies.