• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Disruption 28 Feb 2017 - RAIB report released 30/11/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswest

If the damage is confirmed to be a "third party" Do network rail claim for losses from guilty party ?? Never hear of anything like this after all the delay compensation / costs of repair etc etc ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If the damage is confirmed to be a "third party" Do network rail claim for losses from guilty party ?? Never hear of anything like this after all the delay compensation / costs of repair etc etc ??

I assume they will. After all, Great Heck was the largest motor insurance claim in UK history, wasn't it?

Zoidberg

Established Member
I'm surprised not to have seen published any photographs taken in daylight.

Is the site of the collapse not visible from nearby bridges, roads etc?

AndrewE

Established Member
I think "The Tesco" is quite OK in that context (giving directions), it's just short for "The Tesco shop."

Zoidberg

Established Member
And the coverage from the BBC and newspapers that a major northern cities main station has been cut off. A short clip and a few lines on page 6.

Oh they really care about Liverpool and the north don't they.

... and the Travel News woman on Radio 2 just announced that trains are unable to run in or out of London Liverpool Street due to a wall having collapsed!

Edit: she has just, at 10:38, apologised for the mistake.

Last edited:

fyldetrainfan

And the coverage from the BBC and newspapers that a major northern cities main station has been cut off. A short clip and a few lines on page 6.

Oh they really care about Liverpool and the north don't they.

They can't even get it right when they do report it - the traffic lady on the radio has just reported the disruption as being at London Liverpool Street! Now unless there also happens to have been a wall collapse there, this is inexcusably inaccurate reporting. Very sloppy. I imagine now there are loads of people wondering how they will get into London!

Zoidberg posted while I was typing!

Last edited:

Carntyne

It doesn't look like it from the photos available internally.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think "The Tesco" is quite OK in that context (giving directions), it's just short for "The Tesco shop."

Nowt grammatically wrong with it, nor with "Tesco's" which is short for (the) Tesco( company)'s( shop). Just isn't common parlance in Liverpool, that's all (unlike "deAsda" and "deAldi").

furnessvale

Established Member

These days, with drones, I'm sure the press would be in there if they wanted.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Washing machines on the line, that's a new one!

Going to be a hard one to fix, that. I would expect 2 of the 4 lines to be out of use for some time while that (very old) wall is redone from scratch. A bit like the Conwy Valley issue perhaps (albeit that being an issue with a natural rock wall rather than a stone built one).

Last edited:

40Mick

This from the Liverpool Echo website:

kat2.jpg

Full article here: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-lime-street-latest-after-12671625

Does anyone know how the Virgin trains are turning around at Runcorn? They are coming in to P2 as normal then departing P1. I am not certain of the track layout around there but would they be using the crossover normally used for Folly Lane, so reversing out of P2towards Halton Junction, crossing over then reversing up to P1 or is there another crossover somewhere?

broadgage

BBC news reports imply that this is being blamed on "others loading the retaining wall with cabins and concrete"

mikemcniven

BBC news reports imply that this is being blamed on "others loading the retaining wall with cabins and concrete"

It's the way Network Rail and National Rail are reporting it too, "Third Party" is how they are referring to it as. Looking at the images of the site it doesn't look too well maintained by who ever is operating there

Deepgreen

Established Member

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's the way Network Rail and National Rail are reporting it too, "Third Party" is how they are referring to it as. Looking at the images of the site it doesn't look too well maintained by who ever is operating there

I wouldn't want that bill if they are found to be liable! Effectively shutting down a major city's railway station! That's going to cost!

QueensCurve

Established Member
Why on earth can't they turn trains short, say at South Parkway? Then Merseyrail provide the "rail replacement" from Central.

Is the South Parkway Track layout suitable? The Lines are not bidirectional or optimised for reversing trains.

The picture does not give you enough information. Ground does not just give way because of a container has been placed on it. My money is on a lack of general maintenance over the years.

notlob.divad

Established Member
It looks a bit like a landslip, it looks they would have had their 'goods' behind the metal fence and not adjacent to the wall (and it has been pretty wet)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4047859,-2.9597839,65a,20y,90h,41.81t/data=!3m1!1e3

And I think that's not even the worst looking part of that area!

Good find. Looking at the Google Ariel photo of that same point, is it just my eyes or does the wall look slightly buckled at that point before the collapse.

Dropped pin

https://goo.gl/maps/r1AEmNUEsqy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.