• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool - Hull ticketing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Hi guys,

This weekend,

Sat - Liverpool to Hull via Sheffield, need to break there for a few hours before continuing onto Hull.
Sun - returning via Leeds to stop there for a few hours, then back to Liverpool.

Best ticketing combination? Or this there a ticket that will allow me to do this?

Cheers n advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Off Peak return is £54.70 and is valid on any train.

There are barriers at Leeds, and they should accept the ticket, but if they don't show it at the gateline, you are allowed to break your journey always on the return portion of any ticket (and even if you weren't, you are allowed through barriers to access station facilities!)

Without checking the RG, I know that Leeds and Sheffield are equally valid routes. In both cases you will pass through Manchester so you could split there.

LIV-MAN SVR (valid for arrivals into MAN from 0930) £12.10 or
LIV-MAN SOR (Valid any train) £15.80

MAN-HUL SVR (Valid any train) £38.30

Total = £50.40 (Save £3.30) or £54.10 (Save 60p)

Absolute cheapest I can think of, If you don't mind a slow journey via Donny both ways...

Liverpool-Manc SVR £12.10
Ashton U Lyne-Thorne Stns SVR £16.90
Thorne Stns-Hull SOR £17.80

Total = £46.80 (Not worth it having to get stopping trains, and Hull-Leeds via Thorne and Adwick versus via Selby is a long way round)

Fares into Hull are scandalously high priced. And TPE charge quite a premium for going to Liverpool rather than Manchester. So, when combined, the price is rather poor value.

With the railways, you don't get a bulk discount for getting a longer distance ticket. Indeed, you get penalised. If the railways sold multipacks, they'd cost more than the individual products. And if they ran restaurants, a 3 course meal would cost more than the individual cost of each course.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Thanks Yorkie. Is the Man Hull ticket valid via Doncaster, I assume so as I don't know of another way to Hull other than that way!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Leeds is the obvious route for Hull-Manchester as all direct trains these days go that way. Donkeycaster and the Hope Valley is the 2nd most obvious route to take.

Valid routes between HUL and MAN are shown on the following map combinations:-

CE+MS
GM+WK
GM+WY
LY
LY+WK
MH+TP
TP TP+WK

Maps are here: http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/Maps.asp

You can even go via York if you like!

Pumbaa

Established Member
You can even go via York if you like!

Could it go Hull > Don > York > Leeds > Man > Liv? Is that a valid route - I really don't understand the maps!

There's also engineering works this weekend, keen to avoid them. As such only way out of Hull is to Don.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't imagine the HUL > DON > YRK bit would be valid
But how can we imagine what is / isn't valid according to the RG?

It is valid, and I'm not surprised it is, given that Hull to York is valid via Doncaster and there is a "Not Doncaster" ticket for Hull to York.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've checked the maps, it is valid (maps CE+MS)

It may not be sensible but there's no valid reason to stop people doing this - after all, the fare from 'ull is considerably higher than from York.

Status
Not open for further replies.