• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireftrm

Turn back is from 4 now.

Incidentally. That link NR put out is wrong .The new platform 7 is still out of use.

No the 'new' platform 7 is NOT YET in use, the Network Rail press release says the new platforms 7 & 8 will be brought into use. There is a P7 in use, but it isn't the 'new' P7

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
No the 'new' platform 7 is NOT YET in use, the Network Rail press release says the new platforms 7 & 8 will be brought into use. There is a P7 in use, but it isn't the 'new' P7

That'll teach me to speed read it. I misread it saying it had brought the two into use already instead of just pl8 . But do you want TO STOP SHOUTING AT ME PLEASE and forgive my terrible mistake?! I've walked down pl7 (soon to be pl6 enough times to know it's it's there and it's currently in the system as line Y.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Mitchell

Does anyone have information regarding the concourse and how NR intends to redevelop it? I was really hoping they would demolish the barrier building to the old platforms 1 to 6 and, in doing so, expose the full glory of the northern train shed. NR did a fantastic job at Kings Cross and St Pancras stations in London and I am hoping those standards will be maintained at Lime Street.

nw-sparks

I wonder what they plan to do with the queue for the London trains? At the moment it trails right across the concourse, blocking all the other passenger flows. That's OK during rebuilding but surely it's not acceptable long term?

fowler9

Established Member
I wonder what they plan to do with the queue for the London trains? At the moment it trails right across the concourse, blocking all the other passenger flows. That's OK during rebuilding but surely it's not acceptable long term?
Blimey. Good question. There doesn't appear to be the space between the new six and seven to queue there.

B&I

Established Member
Blimey. Good question. There doesn't appear to be the space between the new six and seven to queue there.

About sums up VTWC. It's bad enough scrumming around Euston, but at least, unlike Lime St, there's a bit of space to do it there.

Is there any reason why the passage immediately north of the pillars alongside what will soon be platform 6 cannot be opened up to improve public circulation, if necessary moving new platform 6 slightly south to enable sufficient space to board between the pillars and the platform edge ?

notlob.divad

Established Member

I would hope they do what other train operators do at the station, and stop making people wait in a line like a herd of sheep or naughty school children.

I appreciate they may need a longer turnaround than other operators, and that minimising that is best done by avoiding passengers boarding too early. But using the length of the platform to allow people to wait adjacent to the carriage they have tickets in (like other operators do) would solve the queuing issue and improve the passenger experience.

nw-sparks

Is there any reason why the passage immediately north of the pillars alongside what will soon be platform 6 cannot be opened up to improve public circulation, if necessary moving new platform 6 slightly south to enable sufficient space to board between the pillars and the platform edge ?

Not sure what you mean. There's no pillars on platform 6 (new number). It's narrow enough already without moving the edge south.

Ianigsy

More's the pity. The concourse really could do with a complete overhaul as well

My recollection of the pre-1980s refurb concourse is limited, but I think the problem you would have with removing the building that was put in is that it contains the travel centre, ticket windows (and I'm guessing staff facilities above) as well as Costa and M&S. I think I'm right in saying that the booking office used to be behind and at right angles to the current travel centre, set in the wall at one side of the access to the taxi rank.

I can see a Piccadilly-style set up working there, but you need to find somewhere else for the booking office and operational facilities to go and there aren't that many options as the space on the opposite side of the concourse was eventually sold off as student accommodation. You would need to go the whole hog and replace all the retail units, although I can see an island arrangement working well in that space.

KevinTurvey

I thought I had a few photos of the concourse during the 1983 works, but cannot find them. Here a few from the platform side. From memory what was the travel centre was off to the side of platform 1 which was demolished when they built the multi story car park. The ticket windows were opposite where they are now, roughly where the Boots/WH smiths sit, possibly under the hotel building. The work involved filling about 1 or 2 carriage lengths worth of track to make the concourse deeper. You can get a rough idea how much closer the trains came into the station than now.
Also no proper hoardings in those days! Photos circa Feb 83.

Attachments

• img262 reduced.jpg
    img262 reduced.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 146
  • img294 reduced.jpg
    img294 reduced.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 145
  • img292reduced.jpg
    img292reduced.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 145

fowler9

Established Member
I thought I had a few photos of the concourse during the 1983 works, but cannot find them. Here a few from the platform side. From memory what was the travel centre was off to the side of platform 1 which was demolished when they built the multi story car park. The ticket windows were opposite where they are now, roughly where the Boots/WH smiths sit, possibly under the hotel building. The work involved filling about 1 or 2 carriage lengths worth of track to make the concourse deeper. You can get a rough idea how much closer the trains came into the station than now.
Also no proper hoardings in those days! Photos circa Feb 83.
Those photos are amazing. Is that a 303 on the right in the first one? What class are the DMU's in the first photo? They are the ones I remember best at Lime Street. The 304 i recognise instantly. In the third one is that a 110 and something else? I am rubbish with first gen DMU's.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Does anyone have information regarding the concourse and how NR intends to redevelop it? I was really hoping they would demolish the barrier building to the old platforms 1 to 6 and, in doing so, expose the full glory of the northern train shed. NR did a fantastic job at Kings Cross and St Pancras stations in London and I am hoping those standards will be maintained at Lime Street.

They are planning to expand the retail slightly by demolishing the old postal building on Nelson Street and replacing it with a supermarket.

driver_m

Established Member
Those photos are amazing. Is that a 303 on the right in the first one? What class are the DMU's in the first photo? They are the ones I remember best at Lime Street. The 304 i recognise instantly. In the third one is that a 110 and something else? I am rubbish with first gen DMU's.

Deffo a 303, didn't realise they'd come down south so early either. The other units are 108s and the all blue ones are 104s, and fully agree that those pics are brilliant. Showing something not often caught on camera.

B&I

Established Member
I would hope they do what other train operators do at the station, and stop making people wait in a line like a herd of sheep or naughty school children.

I appreciate they may need a longer turnaround than other operators, and that minimising that is best done by avoiding passengers boarding too early. But using the length of the platform to allow people to wait adjacent to the carriage they have tickets in (like other operators do) would solve the queuing issue and improve the passenger experience.

That would involve VTWC not treating Liverpool passengees with thinly-veiled contempt, for which I'm not holding my breath

B&I

Established Member
Not sure what you mean. There's no pillars on platform 6 (new number). It's narrow enough already without moving the edge south.

I was thinking of the (old) platform 7, the northernmost platform in the south shed, which has pillars close to its northern edge. I assumed there was sone reason why passengers couldn't disembark on the side where the pillars are, whether for safety reasons or because trains can't stop there without pillars blocking some of the doors.

B&I

Established Member
They are planning to expand the retail slightly by demolishing the old postal building on Nelson Street and replacing it with a supermarket.

What postal building? And do you mean LORD Nelson Street?

nw-sparks

I was thinking of the (old) platform 7, the northernmost platform in the south shed, which has pillars close to its northern edge. I assumed there was sone reason why passengers couldn't disembark on the side where the pillars are, whether for safety reasons or because trains can't stop there without pillars blocking some of the doors.
Ah, I see. There are no plans to use the long disused platform edge with all the pillars.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting to see how much platform space there used to be on what was the reverse-curved platform 6 (now under reconstruction).
That was without the unsightly and obstructive staff/utility buildings which are now on the platform, narrowing it significantly especially near the buffers.
The current solution is to build out the platform and utilise the space occupied by the previous siding between P5/6, leaving the platform buildings in situ.
The old platform looked to have vehicular access, and went right up to the pillars supporting the north roof.

8A Rail

Established Member
An image taken in mid 1982, again on the platform side of the station before the changes. It may be of intersest?

39923524344_61d4f993a1_z.jpg

More images available on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8a-collection/

fowler9

Established Member
An image taken in mid 1982, again on the platform side of the station before the changes. It may be of intersest?

39923524344_61d4f993a1_z.jpg

More images available on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8a-collection/
Brilliant photo. I was only 8 in 82 but I have some memories. Another cheeky 303 sneaking in there. Ha ha. We did get them clearly but I remember 304's being far far more common. Brilliant seeing all this locos lined up in the roads between the platforms. Takes me back. Used to get all kinds stopped there. Plus more in the road up in the tunnels.

B&I

Established Member
Rail House, was originally built as a sorting office with platform access for mail trains.

Can I just check this is definitely not the now-demolished Copperas Hill Royal Mail sorting office you are referring to (the sute of which is earmarked for a John Moores University development), and is the Rail House office building on Lord Nelson Street? If so, have you a link for the plans, as I'd be interested to know what's in store for this site?

ivanhoe

Interesting looking at the older pictures of Lime Street. Lime Street in 2018 is a much more pleasant station and indeed much busier station. We sometimes look to the past through rose tinted spectacles but today’s gateway to the City is more complimentary to the heritage buildings that face Lime Street.

fowler9

Established Member
Can I just check this is definitely not the now-demolished Copperas Hill Royal Mail sorting office you are referring to (the sute of which is earmarked for a John Moores University development), and is the Rail House office building on Lord Nelson Street? If so, have you a link for the plans, as I'd be interested to know what's in store for this site?
Looks to be the other side where the soon to be no more Platform 1 is. Copperas Hill is already either student halls and facilities or a building site which is becoming them.

Status
Not open for further replies.