• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&I

Established Member
Most people would change at South Parkway onto Merseyrail anyway even if you did turn them at Edge Hill. Most people wouldn't walk in from Edge Hill which is only on the edge of the city centre in what is a rather run-down scummy suburb.

It's far from ideal, but it is 4 miles closer to the city centre than Huyton. Hopefully, both station and neighbourhood will see some revival at some point

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
If you reverse trains at Edge Hill, you block capacity for the temporary single line into Lime St.
Reversing 350s there seems to be one reason why so few trains are running via Huyton (eg no TPE).

The 350 I saw at at Edge Hill on Monday was using platform 3 or 4 at Edge Hill, and did not conflict with Huyton line services on platforms 1 & 2. Not sure why they were using platform 2 today (according to RTT).

Polarbear

Established Member
A colleague of mine is lookin to travel between Liverpool & Warrington on Sunday 24 June - but it looks like the line between South Parkway & Warrington Central is closed? Given the ongoing work at Lime Street, I would question the wisdom of such a closure!

EMT have two statements on their website that seem to contradict each other (one saying their trains will be starting/terminating at Warrington Central, the other stating South Parkway). Northern make no mention of any engineering work, but National Rail Enquiries is suggesting that buses are operating between South Parkway & Warrington.

Any concrete info would be welcome!

M28361M

A colleague of mine is lookin to travel between Liverpool & Warrington on Sunday 24 June - but it looks like the line between South Parkway & Warrington Central is closed? Given the ongoing work at Lime Street, I would question the wisdom of such a closure!

Looks like it's all buses to Warrington. Nothing on the "improvement works" part of Northern's website, but there is an amended timetable shown on the "temporary timetable changes" pages (i.e. the crew shortage timetables) https://be803fe5c416e39d38ae-aa2108...verpool---Warrington-Central---Manchester.pdf

Your friend could travel by train all the way by travelling from Lime Street to Earlestown and changing there for a train to Bank Quay. Unfortunately there is a long wait for a connecting train at Earlestown so it is slower than the bus.

MichaelAMW

Bit of a boo-boo by EMT, which is even on the engineering pdf on their web site. I think what has happened is that the "default" statement on that pdf, that trains are only going as far as Parkway, has been accidentally left there, alongside the correct statement that *this* weekend trains are terminating at Warrington.

There seem to be non-stop EMT buses from Warrington to Lime Street, so the overall journey time is actually not too bad.

andytriv

I think there is a track repair taking place just outside Widnes Station as I have received a letter from Network Rail saying there are working into the small hours of Monday morning.

fowler9

Established Member
Most people would change at South Parkway onto Merseyrail anyway even if you did turn them at Edge Hill. Most people wouldn't walk in from Edge Hill which is only on the edge of the city centre in what is a rather run-down scummy suburb.
Yeah, no offence to the good people who live near Edge Hill but it really isn't the kind of area you want to get off a train if you are new to the city and arrive of an evening. Good if you are, ahem, looking for business (or so a work mate tells me).

frodshamfella

Established Member
Yeah, no offence to the good people who live near Edge Hill but it really isn't the kind of area you want to get off a train if you are new to the city and arrive of an evening. Good if you are, ahem, looking for business (or so a work mate tells me).

Years and Years ago I lived in Prescot, I was coming back from London and I must have changed at Crewe, because the train stopped at Edge Hill. I planned to change at Lime Street, but then I thought what if I missed a connection before I got to Lime Street, so I jumped out.

After checking the timetable I could see it was a long wait, it was dark, winter and freezing cold, eventually I gave in and managed to flag a cab, which I could ill afford in those days !

KevinTurvey

A couple of pics of the extension works to Platform 2 in progress from yesterday:

Attachments

• P6232084RR.jpg
    P6232084RR.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 151
  • P6232085RR.jpg
    P6232085RR.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 117

mcnw35282

Is the 2/3 island platform also being widened by moving the track into the old carriage sidings like they did with 6 and 4? The massive steel post they’ve fitted at the concourse end of P2 seems to suggest otherwise. I was under the impression all the platforms were being widened?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the 2/3 island platform also being widened by moving the track into the old carriage sidings like they did with 6 and 4? The massive steel post they’ve fitted at the concourse end of P2 seems to suggest otherwise. I was under the impression all the platforms were being widened?
Doesn’t look like it if the images in post #14 are considered accurate.

nw-sparks

The right hand track, old platform 2 new platform 1, will go along the left of the new construction and in to the "rat-hole" with no pointwork whatsoever. This will not be in use until 8 October.

The crossover in the foreground is the temporary one linking old 1 and old 2, only in use during the single line working in 2017 and now. Last use will be 13 July after which it will go.

The point going nowhere is the former incoming route to old platform 1.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
OK
Sort of makes sense but using a concrete bearer crosssover as a temporary measure seems excessive, or is it what was to hand back at the yard?

There were also new starting signals, out of view to the left, which were solely used for the single line working from P1/2 to Edge Hill.
Presumably they are also coming out on July 13.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
OK
Sort of makes sense but using a concrete bearer crosssover as a temporary measure seems excessive, or is it what was to hand back at the yard?

There were also new starting signals, out of view to the left, which were solely used for the single line working from P1/2 to Edge Hill.
Presumably they are also coming out on July 13.

Those signals are founded in baskets of ballast deliberately to make them cheaper and easier to install and remove, and the crossover is a standard modular unit that can be removed later and recycled (this has already been done twice on another project, and both crossovers are now in their second and final locations)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
While there's a lot of platform construction obviously going on, the most impressive work visible today was the rewiring of the station throat and platforms 3-6 .
This extends half way to Edge Hill, on mostly new gantries, and is a major electrification project in itself.
The new contact wires give the station a, well, coppery feel.
Another tiny change - the loco siding which dead-ended in the tunnel has been severed, although the buffers are still there.

xtradj

So old platform one will be out of use forever from July 13

And old platform two will be out of use until october?

nw-sparks

The 350 I saw at at Edge Hill on Monday was using platform 3 or 4 at Edge Hill, and did not conflict with Huyton line services on platforms 1 & 2. Not sure why they were using platform 2 today (according to RTT).

The possession today runs to the east end of platform 3 at Edge Hill, and is probably the same on P4 although I didn't see. This allows easy access into the possession from the work site on the south side of the line at Edge Hill. ECS from Parkway seem to be reversing in P2 today.

Geeves

Established Member
Its no doubt been asked before, but looking at the photos it looks like platform one could have been kept, what is the thinking behind making 2 so long? How often will 2 see a train that takes up its whole length? Seems a bit of a waste to lose a platform

driver_m

Established Member
1 will be out of use til October, 2 will be in use but not full length. (until October).

Status
Not open for further replies.