• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinTurvey

Well I passed through about 2 hours ago. The job looks nearly finished, hoardings have now gone and there were lots of people sweeping & tidying up ready for tomorrow. Hope it all goes to plan!

The new upper level Virgin lounge has now been glazed externally so presumably this will open in a few weeks time. I assume then, the present one is just a temporary arrangement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossforth

Established Member
Well I’m working the 05:56 from Lime Street this morning and we left on time with no problems so all is well.

driver_m

Established Member
All seems good so far. Having 3 signals in the tunnels and 25mph almost right up to the platforms will significantly speed up arrivals and departures.

nw-sparks

All seems good so far. Having 3 signals in the tunnels and 25mph almost right up to the platforms will significantly speed up arrivals and departures.
Good so far??????

Eleven cancellations today at Huyton, plus all the Lime Street/Warrington Bank Quay trains which were removed from the timetable a week ago.

driver_m

Established Member
Speaking from my TOC's point of view .Left on time, arrived on time. I do apologise for not knowing how northern, LNWR or TPE got on. Has any of that been purely down to Lime St or other factors?

notlob.divad

Established Member
There seemed to be an issue with Train Crew for the first departure of Wigan this morning, and its return from Liverpool. Whether this knocked onto the whole diagram I don't know.

There was then an issue with a train aroudn Lunchtime that resulted in it running empty from Wigan back to Liverpool.

Add in the knock-ons for the inevitable disaster that is Manchester these days, and things seem to be doing alright with the new infrastructure at the Liverpool end considering.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Have speeds gone up in the cutting then?
Wasn't it 30mph throughout, with 40mph on the Down Slow?
It used to mean the xx47 Pacer leaving Lime St on the Slow could overtake the xx47 390 on the Fast before Edge Hill!

The_Engineer

There seemed to be an issue with Train Crew for the first departure of Wigan this morning, and its return from Liverpool. Whether this knocked onto the whole diagram I don't know.

There was then an issue with a train around Lunchtime that resulted in it running empty from Wigan back to Liverpool.

Add in the knock-ons for the inevitable disaster that is Manchester these days, and things seem to be doing alright with the new infrastructure at the Liverpool end considering.
Yes, the issues seem to be around train crew and the introduction of the enhanced (May) Northern timetable - and not any signalling/track issues. Both Northern and Transpennine had some cancellations earlier.

driver_m

Established Member
The speeds are still broadly the same for non freight trains. (Those've been lowered to 15mph). It's just the 15mph only starts for trains now right at the entrance to the platforms, whereas before, it was just after the old final signals. It's 39mph dropping in as before and a short 25mph stretch. 30 or 40 coming out on the ups.

driver_m

Established Member
Have speeds gone up in the cutting then?
Wasn't it 30mph throughout, with 40mph on the Down Slow?
It used to mean the xx47 Pacer leaving Lime St on the Slow could overtake the xx47 390 on the Fast before Edge Hill!

Even a 319 could overtake us! So they're not that slow off the mark! Be interesting to see how the 'races' pan out with the layout now.

LowLevel

Established Member
It feels much faster from the back end. Straight in too with no pregnant pause and queue as we became used to with the interim layout. Manchester is still a complete and utter disgrace of course but no complaints about Liverpool.

peter166

This has probably been answered before but why has the old platform 1 not been used ?
It seems a waste & could have increased capacity with the total number of platforms in use being 11 and not just 10

fowler9

Established Member
The train I went for at West Allerton this morning was cancelled which was a pain. Every Northern service from Parkway this evening was pretty late but not cancelled which is a vast improvement on 2 months ago. Got an airport service in to Lime Street this evening which crawled in to Lime Street behind the late running stopper. Not as reliable as the rail replacement service but a hell of a lot quicker.

Could it not have taken a 4 car Class 319 emu?
I think it's to do with the location of the points if you wanted to split the line coming in from the single bore tunnel. As the new platform is much extended but the old platform one curves at the top end the points would be fouled a lot of the time so rendering it useless for a large part of the day.

HUY2ROB

I went from Roby to Lime Street on a train from Crewe today (on time at 13:13). It arrived at platform 6. No automatic barriers and nobody checking tickets. Will that be normal?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This has probably been answered before but why has the old platform 1 not been used ?
It seems a waste & could have increased capacity with the total number of platforms in use being 11 and not just 10
The best explanation, and there have been quite a few, is in post #755, just a few weeks/pages back.

urbophile

Established Member
I went from Roby to Lime Street on a train from Crewe today (on time at 13:13). It arrived at platform 6. No automatic barriers and nobody checking tickets. Will that be normal?
Is that the old platform 7? Have Virgin trains moved their regular platform?

Up_Tilt_390

Paid a visit to the new station today, and it's significantly better now that it has been finished being remodelled. It also feels more open than beforehand with the new platform space.

The only issue I have now is that I'm far too used to Virgin Trains using platform 7, and it feels so weird having them use 9 + 10 now. P7 was always the traditional platform for London trains even as far back as the steam era, so it's a lot to get used to for a lot of people I imagine.

Even so, there doesn't seem to be an announcement for Platform 10 yet, as the 1752 service to Norwich didn't get any announcements.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Has platform 6 (old 7) been shortened now to allow access to new 7&8? Old 7 was the long one laid out like an S so I guess it would have been a nightmare dispatching long trains from. I remember from the original presentation of the work, old 9 (new 10) was to be extended to take a full 11 car Pendolino.

playboy81

Has platform 6 (old 7) been shortened now to allow access to new 7&8? Old 7 was the long one laid out like an S so I guess it would have been a nightmare dispatching long trains from. I remember from the original presentation of the work, old 9 (new 10) was to be extended to take a full 11 car Pendolino.

If you look at the first image from Google Earth, you can see an 11 car pendo parked on old platform 7. By reducing its length to accommodate a rail track through the tunnel you can clearly see that it’s still long enough for the driver to reach the end cab.

I believe the reduction of old platform 8 however doesn’t allow enough length for 11 coaches necessitating the lengthening of old platform 9
E8A6D2AF-1C73-4A9E-8B02-BE15716C6311.jpeg 80E02641-0A56-474B-A37A-A74FC618AB32.jpeg

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well, Lime St and its approaches at last seem to have escaped the 1960s.
P6-9 have a pleasant air about them with wide uncluttered platforms and no gates.
Pity the new PIS is the same old spidery scrolling stuff, not even up to the new screens at Manchester Airport.
P6 seems to be where Northern will park its spare Pacers between the peaks.
Despite all the rebuilding, there is an odd kink of a couple of feet northwards at the outer end of P1/2.
One of the new platform walls has already been defaced by the builder's white paint.
But all told, a nice upgrade.
Still plenty of resignalling work to do between Edge Hill and Ditton.
As far as I could see, P3/4 are now unused at Liverpool South Parkway off peak at least.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
We can use platforms 6, 9 and 10. Even 11 cars can go in 9 (the old 8) it just fits and was done before the current blockade. Must admit that it didn't look like it would fit an 11 but it fits snugly.

When 1 and 2 fully open, we will be able to take 9 cars down there into 2 only.

DJH1971

Established Member
One thing I noticed that between Edge Hill and Lime Street was that the train didn't wait in the tunnel for a few minutes this time round.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
One thing I noticed that between Edge Hill and Lime Street was that the train didn't wait in the tunnel for a few minutes this time round.

Mine did yesterday.
Late running LNWR into P8 on the DF waited at signals in the tunnel for VT to depart from P9 on the UF.
But generally the layout looks a lot more flexible.
On the slows, arrivals were often held at every signal from Bootle Branch Jn.
I see they seem to put 319s into P3/4/5 now, instead of the old P1/2/3.
There's also a better distribution between the two halves of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.