• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime Street upper level ticket barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH1971

Established Member
Heard off someone this morning that they are planning to install ticket barriers at Liverpool Lime Street upper level.

Anyone else know about this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
I think it's part of the project to rebuild Lime Street main-line station in the latter part of 2017 & going into 2018.

More information is available here;https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2016/mar/railway-upgrade-Liverpool-City-Region/

Network Rail is contributing £229m, and the Liverpool City Region £111m – much through the Government’s Growth Deal funding – to provide passengers with faster, more frequent and more reliable train services by 2019.

The improvements are part of Network Rail’s Northern Programmes – several billion pounds’ worth of work included in the company’s £40 billion nationwide Railway Upgrade Plan, delivered across the five years to 31 March 2019 – and will help to meet a forecast 100 per cent increase in demand for rail travel across the region. By 2043 there will be double the number of passengers entering Liverpool in the morning peak.

The plan is designed to provide more capacity, relieve crowding and respond to the tremendous growth the railway has seen.

They will pave the way for additional services, such as planned new First Transpennine Express services from Liverpool to Glasgow in 2019, and new services from Liverpool to Chester.

Among the work to take place, new and longer platforms at Liverpool Lime Street station will accommodate more services and longer trains. A new station will be built at Maghull North, while Newton-le-Willows station will be revamped, with improvements including a new bus interchange and extended car park facilities and a new booking hall on the south side of the station, with improved access to facilities via new lifts, subway and stairs.

New sections of railway will enable improvements to journeys, with frequent new services planned between Liverpool and Chester – if approved, work is expected to begin in June 2017 and be completed by May 2018 – and the ambition to extend these into North Wales. New track between Huyton and Roby will allow faster trains to overtake local services, completing work undertaken at Huyton in 2014. Tracks on the underground loop on the Merseyrail network will also be renewed.

Our aim over the next three years is to give the people of Liverpool the high-quality rail services they deserve. With demand for rail travel expected to rise by 100 per cent over the coming years, these improvements are vital for the future growth and prosperity of this great city region.

During this work Liverpool will remain open for business, welcoming visitors to the city as well as providing vital transport links for commuters.

Our focus during any disruption is to take a similar approach to the Commonwealth Games, to ensure that while journeys will be slightly different, that they run smoothly enabling access to the city at all times.

Martin Frobisher, route managing director for Network Rail

Network Rail has been working closely with partners to ensure that robust alternative travel arrangements are in place while these improvements are carried out.

Merseytravel is the strategic transport advisor to the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and project lead for a number of the schemes.

We welcome this investment. It’s essential in keeping the Liverpool City Region moving now, and in the future. Network Rail’s investment is in addition to the funding we have secured from Government for certain key schemes and also that we’ve raised locally.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well they've already got rid of the awful booths which held everybody up until you realised there was nobody home...
They now gang up on you nearer the concourse, but it is faster.
Presumably all this will be swept away by the remodelling, with a common system for both halves of the main station.
Low Level has gates but not if you use the lift...

frodshamfella

Established Member
If they do, I would want London Midland to be a bit more pro active selling tickets on trains. I get on at Acton Bridge, there is no where to buy a ticket, and its not un-common to ride into Lime Street which out seeing the guard come through the train to purchase one, mind you sometimes its so packed I wonder if that why, extra carriages maybe ??

8A Rail

Established Member
If they do, I would want London Midland to be a bit more pro active selling tickets on trains. I get on at Acton Bridge, there is no where to buy a ticket, and its not un-common to ride into Lime Street which out seeing the guard come through the train to purchase one, mind you sometimes its so packed I wonder if that why, extra carriages maybe ??

When I have visited Acton Bridge Station, I thought the ticket machine was inside the upper building as you enter - must be seeing things then or it is something else? Nothing stopping passengers visiting the guard if they wish to purchase tickets though! :lol:

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
According to the Northern franchise agreement Liverpool Lime St must have 9 ticket barriers installed and manned from 1st departure to last departure by 30th September 2016. These will be on 1-6 only.

LowLevel

Established Member
Good. Too many scum wandering in and out of that place at will that you can do very little about once they're onboard. Barriers in my experience do work to dissuade them. Just needs 7-9 doing then although I'd imagine that's much harder with the current layout.

notlob.divad

Established Member
1-6 appear to be being done prior to the major refurbishment next year. As in within the next month. I suspect something will be done in the south shed when they do the refurb and add the extra platforms in between 7&8 next year.

As Scrapy Says, 9 barriers for platform 1-6. Here is hoping they work with the Walrus Saveaway smart cards from the get go.

DJH1971

Established Member
1-6 appear to be being done prior to the major refurbishment next year. As in within the next month. I suspect something will be done in the south shed when they do the refurb and add the extra platforms in between 7&8 next year.

As Scrapy Says, 9 barriers for platform 1-6. Here is hoping they work with the Walrus Saveaway smart cards from the get go.

I take it there will be a manned gate for those whose tickets can't go through the ticket barriers such as rail season tickets.

Green Lane

I take it there will be a manned gate for those whose tickets can't go through the ticket barriers such as rail season tickets.

Indeed, my annual Merseytravel Trio ticket is too big to fit.:D There is always a manned gate which I must use at nearby stations on the Wirral & Northern lines including Lime Street low level.

frodshamfella

Established Member
When I have visited Acton Bridge Station, I thought the ticket machine was inside the upper building as you enter - must be seeing things then or it is something else? Nothing stopping passengers visiting the guard if they wish to purchase tickets though! :lol:

Its just a permit to travel machine, you put a pound in, and its taken off the fare, although its a bit hit or miss if it works. I don't think many would hunt for a guard to be honest, particularly if busy.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Its just a permit to travel machine, you put a pound in, and its taken off the fare, although its a bit hit or miss if it works. I don't think many would hunt for a guard to be honest, particularly if busy.

Or if you have the cash, put in the total amount of your fare and exchange that for a ticket without having to spend any more money. Makes for a much easier transaction (although I guess that the Railway doesn't really want the risk of lots of money being put in those machines which needs to be emptied).

Up_Tilt_390

If I may comment on Liverpool Lime Street's refurbishment/remodelling, it sounds like it'll make the station better in terms of facilities and capacity for platforms, but where will all the other trains go? Will Northern terminate at Edge Hill? Operate buses from Manchester or somewhere? Will Virgin and London Midland terminate at Runcorn and Liverpool South Parkway respectively? Does anybody know this?

jamesst

Most of the services from the South and the Warrington Central direction are to turn back at Liverpool South Parkway with an enhanced Merseyrail Northern Line service to Liverpool Central to connect. Not sure about the Chat Moss route, I'd imagine Huyton?

Up_Tilt_390

Most of the services from the South and the Warrington Central direction are to turn back at Liverpool South Parkway with an enhanced Merseyrail Northern Line service to Liverpool Central to connect. Not sure about the Chat Moss route, I'd imagine Huyton?

Huyton seems like a good location actually in my opinion. I'd be surprised if it wasn't. South Parkway seems like an odd place to terminate a Pendolino though isn't it? Unless of course you didn't include that when you referred to services from the south.

notlob.divad

Established Member
There was a report in the Liverpool Echo a few months back. Detailing what the plan is. Trains from the WCML will terminate at South Parkway for some of the time, however when the Weaver Junction to Edge Hill re-signalling work is taking place, they will divert via Warrington and Chat Moss.

Services from Chat Moss and Wigan will terminate at the St Helens stations for some of the time (with Buses for onwards journeys) This is because of the 4th tracking between Roby Junction and Huyton Junction.

However it is not consistent through the whole project, looks like there is going to be a few weeks at each end as a full blockade, but during the major part there will be a couple of platforms open at Lime Street accessible from the Chat Moss line.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/lime-street-station-faces-nine-11069077

Up_Tilt_390

Well I for one sort of look forward to the new Lime Street. It would be nice to see how this new layout would like in the flesh, though the First Class lounge for Virgin Trains will be a sad loss, even though they'll probably have another one afterwards.

Up_Tilt_390

There is a proposal to extend Platform 4 at South Parkway 250 yards to the south to enable Pendolinos to terminate.

Sounds a bit difficult, but at least on platform 4 you don't have Allerton Junction blocking the south end. North end still has its bridge though, so the only way is downwards .

QueensCurve

Established Member
When I have visited Acton Bridge Station, I thought the ticket machine was inside the upper building as you enter - must be seeing things then or it is something else? Nothing stopping passengers visiting the guard if they wish to purchase tickets though!

I haven't used Acton Bridge station for about 35 years so can't help.:oops:

frodshamfella

Established Member
Most London Midland guards do continuous ticket inspections especially at the two unstaffed stations on the line.

In my experience and I travel the route quite often, this happens some of the time. Its more likely on a train out of Lime Street than one on the way in.

8A Rail

Established Member
Thanks for clarification about machine - a strange one though. As for my latter comment, hence why I put a laughing smiley as the end of it, as it anyone would look for the guard if they have not paid - more like sit quietly and fingers cross! :lol:

frodshamfella

Established Member
Thanks for clarification about machine - a strange one though. As for my latter comment, hence why I put a laughing smiley as the end of it, as it anyone would look for the guard if they have not paid - more like sit quietly and fingers cross! :lol:

Yes your right there.... I know Acton Bridge is a small station ( passengers wise ) but do you think there is any chance of getting a proper ticket machine ?! Actually there would be more passengers if car parking was extended....far too little available for commuters.

childwallblues

Established Member
Actually there would be more passengers if car parking was extended....far too little available for commuters.[/QUOTE]

I understand that there is a proposal to extend the car park.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Is this refurb purely to platforms or are we going to see a concourse filled with overpriced crap ala New Street, Kings cross etc and devoid of vaguely useful stuff like boots and BK?

Also will there be more and maybe faster lifts down to Mersyrail as current provision seams a bit lacking

childwallblues

Established Member
Is this refurb purely to platforms or are we going to see a concourse filled with overpriced crap ala New Street, Kings cross etc and devoid of vaguely useful stuff like boots and BK?

Also will there be more and maybe faster lifts down to Mersyrail as current provision seams a bit lacking

The current lift is satisfactory for the number of passengers using it. There are escalators from the main concourse to the Merseyrail station entrance under St Georges Plateau which is also served by two other entrances.

Status
Not open for further replies.