• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime Street - Wembley (28 February)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam9413

Hi all, looking to make a last minute journey from Liverpool to Wembley Stadium for the League Cup Final tomorrow, Sunday 28 February. Kick off is 4:30, so full time should be around 6:30 unless there is extra time etc. At this stage advance fares are all gone so an Off Peak Return (Liverpool Stns - London Terminals) with a 16-25 Railcard would be likely (£54).

Is there a better ticket or route than Liverpool Stns - London Terminals then using Oyster for the Tube? By better I mean price-wise for going by VT. As far as I can see, there are no connections available for coming back via Birmingham (Chiltern&LM) in the evening and no options for returning LM only.

The main thing I am looking for is the likelihood of getting there and back safely on VT using an Off Peak Return. Has anyone used the train to Wembley before? I can picture long queues at Lime Street on Sunday morning (first train 0818) and at Euston coming back (last train 2121)..

I guess it may be safer to look for a coach.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Let's keep this simple.

In ticketing terms the Off Peak Return from Liverpool Stations to London Terminals is probably the most appropriate ticket. Then use Oyster PAYG or Contactless on the Metropolitan Line from Euston Square to Wembley Park.

This ticket is available on the day of travel however all the trains I've checked appear to be fully booked. I suspect boarding control will be in place at both Lime Street and Euston restricting the number of people allowed to stand on each train.

You might want to look at travelling via Chester, Birmingham or Warrington. I suspect you could get to London in time for the match but the issue will be the relatively fewer options on the return, particularly if you factor in the possibility of extra time etc. Also not ideal with supporters from two north west based clubs looking to do the same too.

Depending on how desperately you are to attend then you could even consider travelling via Sheffield or Leeds. Although Manchester supporters will no doubt be looking at these options too! This routeing would be more expensive as two tickets would be needed.

adam9413

Thanks a lot - I will look through all of those options. I'm guessing getting down there will be easier than getting back.

Hopefully a lot of people will have booked cheaper coaches down.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hi all, looking to make a last minute journey from Liverpool to Wembley Stadium for the League Cup Final tomorrow, Sunday 28 February. Kick off is 4:30, so full time should be around 6:30 unless there is extra time etc. At this stage advance fares are all gone so an Off Peak Return (Liverpool Stns - London Terminals) with a 16-25 Railcard would be likely (£54).

Is there a better ticket or route than Liverpool Stns - London Terminals then using Oyster for the Tube? By better I mean price-wise for going by VT. As far as I can see, there are no connections available for coming back via Birmingham (Chiltern&LM) in the evening and no options for returning LM only.

The main thing I am looking for is the likelihood of getting there and back safely on VT using an Off Peak Return. Has anyone used the train to Wembley before? I can picture long queues at Lime Street on Sunday morning (first train 0818) and at Euston coming back (last train 2121)..

I guess it may be safer to look for a coach.
Thanks

Which side of the stadium are you seated? A quick exit to Wembley Stadium station should give you northbound possibilities if it ends in 90 minutes. There do appear to be some extra services from Wembley Central to Merseyside tomorrow evening as well.

Romilly

Established Member
I am not sure that I can help with practicality in terms of crowds and queues, but the cheapest option I can find is:

Liverpool-Crewe £7.20 offpeak day return

Crewe-Watford Junction £17.15 super offpeak day return valid on London Midland only

Watford Junction-Wembley Central £7.80 anytime day return

Total: £32.15 (all prices are after railcard discount)

Times:

Liverpool Lime St 0818 or 0838 etc
Crewe arrive 0852 or 0911 etc

Crewe depart 0933 or 1037
Watford Junction arrive 1240 or 1334

Watford Junction depart 1301 etc
Wembley Central arrive 1325 etc

Wembley Central depart 1838 or 1858 or 1906 or 1918 or 1925
Watford Junction arrive 1904 or 1924 or 1916 or 1945 or 1937

Watford Junction depart 2006
Crewe arrive 2307

Crewe depart 2342
Liverpool arrive 0028

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
^If you do the above, buy the last ticket as a CDR from Watford North. You're welcome ;)

If you have Oyster or contactless then use that - £1.80 each way. You're doubly welcome. ;)

causton

Established Member
If you have Oyster or contactless then use that - £1.80 each way. You're doubly welcome. ;)

55p won't buy you much at Wembley :lol:
When I usually offer that option, the person never has contactless and the queue to top up the Oyster is 20-deep, so they usually say no, especially with Groupsave ;)

adam9413

Thanks everyone,

I'm sitting in the Club Wembley seats although my friend hasn't confirmed exactly where they are. I'm thinking a coach return for £36 is probably a safer option and avoids the crowds. Nevertheless, that is a clever split that would save a fair amount

exile

Established Member
Thanks everyone,

I'm sitting in the Club Wembley seats although my friend hasn't confirmed exactly where they are. I'm thinking a coach return for £36 is probably a safer option and avoids the crowds. Nevertheless, that is a clever split that would save a fair amount

It's only a safer option if you can get a ticket - coach services are limited to the seats available.

deltic

Established Member
I note there is a Liverpool South Parkway - Wembley Central extra today which on Realtime trains states its timing is based on Electric locomotive, trailing load 455 tonnes - followed a short time later by Liverpool Lime Street - Wembley Central extra - which is based on diesel loco timings.

Are these actually loco hauled services and given the limited platform lengths at Wembley how many coaches would they consist of?

Veteran Member
Can only go from the timetable (usual reminder that the traction and load are not a guaranteed guide!):
one ECS from Crewe DHS, one from Crewe CS, both D455 timings. Strongly suggests hauled stock to me, given the starting points.
First up is from Parkway to E455, early enough to allow the DL off the ECS to run to Lime Street to work the second up.
Or they could both be worked top and tail?

Someone will no doubt have seen them....and has, and D455+E455=top and tail.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127481

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.