• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool-London 90 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loop Line

I was attending a hat party in the West End a few years ago and I'm sure I had a 90 minute journey from Lime street which, if I recall correctly, only stopped at Runcorn. I have seen no evidence of this since and it has met with scepticsm but I'm quite sure it happened. Does anyone else know of such a phenomenon?
know that the stops at Crewe and Nuneaton are not on every journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That would require an average speed of 129mph so I'm not quite so sure that it has happened I'm afraid.

Loop Line

Hmm, odd. I read in another topic that the trains from Liverpool stop at crewe hourly but I have been on London trains that missed Crewe. Is Crewe a peak time only stop?

Shimbleshanks

I travelled from Liverpool Lime Street to Euston non-stop about five years ago after trains were disrupted by a lineside fire. We did the run on just under two hours and the driver came on the tannoy at the end saying that we had broken the record for a Liverpool-London run. So 90 minutes seems a bit unlikely. Maybe when High Speed 2 is built...

Loop Line

Well perhaps not but it certainly seemed noticably faster than the normal route.

Camden

Established Member
HS2 will make it in just over one and a half hours.

Maybe it just seemed like 90 minutes? I did the journey in under half an hour one day when I had a tonne of work to do and only the journey time to do it in. On the other hand it has also sometimes taken me several long excruciating lifetimes to make the trip.

driver_m

Established Member
I was attending a hat party in the West End a few years ago and I'm sure I had a 90 minute journey from Lime street which, if I recall correctly, only stopped at Runcorn. I have seen no evidence of this since and it has met with scepticsm but I'm quite sure it happened. Does anyone else know of such a phenomenon?

No chance. The 0700 takes 2 hours now with only one stop at Runcorn. Even if it had the clearest run with nothing near it. It would take 1hr 50 at an educated guess. There's no way you'd have done it in 90

martinsh

Established Member
The service used to be first stop Runcorn for most of the day but Crewe stops were added to some services later.

Never was first stop Runcorn - always stopped at Stafford first.

There is still the odd journey that doesn't stop at Crewe - what would be the 0943 Crewe - Liverpool doesn't stop. Might be others.

fowler9

Established Member
Hey Martinsh how does the 09:43 Crewe to Liverpool not stop at Crewe Ha ha. Neil Williams apart from the trains leaving Liverpool which ones are first stop Runcorn? Loop Line, pretty much every Liverpool to London service and vice versa stops at Crewe and you haven't done the journey in 90 mins.

tony_mac

Established Member
The Crewe stop is a relatively recent addition.
Before 2014, the usual daytime stops were Runcorn and Stafford, taking 2:08.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Hey Martinsh how does the 09:43 Crewe to Liverpool not stop at Crewe Ha ha. Neil Williams apart from the trains leaving Liverpool which ones are first stop Runcorn? Loop Line, pretty much every Liverpool to London service and vice versa stops at Crewe and you haven't done the journey in 90 mins.

Re-read the post again. What he means is it doesn't stop there but if it did it would be the 09:43 from Crewe to Liverpool...

dk1

Veteran Member
As already well covered on another thread, the 19:07 Eus-Liv is to become first stop Runcorn from May. Still booked to take half hour more than this 90 min 'rocket' timing though ;)

Altfish

In my experience, if you managed to get to Euston in 90-minutes, you'd then spend 35-minutes sat in the throat waiting for a platform

ScouserGirl

That's he 07:00 train that just stops at Runcorn
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That would require an average speed of 129mph so I'm not quite so sure that it has happened I'm afraid.

The 07:00 am train just stops at Runcorn but that does take 2 hours never been 90 mins

Class 170101

Established Member
The best you will get is probably a couple of minutes short of 2hrs with the current infrastructure and trains.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Standard fast line 390 schedule Euston-Weaver Jn is 99 minutes non-stop (the Glasgows).
You then have to add the slower run to/from Liverpool, a minimum of about 20 minutes I guess.
So not easy to get below a 2h timing.
Will improve fractionally after Norton Bridge is finished (more route run at 125mph).

Class 170101

Established Member
Indeed around 20 minutes Liverpool Lime Street to Weaver Junction and probably slightly slower over the junction compared to the Glasgow heading straight on.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Hmm, odd. I read in another topic that the trains from Liverpool stop at crewe hourly but I have been on London trains that missed Crewe. Is Crewe a peak time only stop?

From 2008 the Liverpool to Eustons didn't stop at Crewe. The Crewe stop was reinstated a year or so ago.

6Gman

Established Member
There's a tea-time departure from Liverpool which misses Crewe.

But it's a different train depending on day of the week!

Polarbear

Established Member
I was on the 07:00 Lime St-Euston one day last year, and due to a problem with the 390 at Lime St, it was 18 late from Runcorn. Cue an excellent non stop run from there to Euston which, remarkably, experienced no checks until Camden. The driver was darn good, with quite a few chunky (but smooth) brake applications at certain points such as Crewe.

Arrival at Euston was 8 late, and by far one of the fastest runs I've ever had down the WCML.

NeilWatson

May I ask what a 'hat party' is?

Jona26

Thinking of Norwich in 90 from London Liverpool Street stopping at Stratford instead of Liverpool Lime Street stopping at Stafford? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.