• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool "Sergeant Pepper" line proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

markindurham

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/could-new-sergeant-pepper-rail-12765049
A vision has been laid-out for a potential “Sergeant Pepper” rail line that could serve thousands of people in north Liverpool - as well as Everton’s new stadium.

Wirral-based Kayla Bibby , a technician for a structural engineering firm, has proposed the new line - which would include building 16 new stations and would serve the major new developments at Liverpool Waters and the proposed Knowledge Quarter.

Her idea involves building 16 new stations, bringing disused tunnels back into use and recreating the former Liverpool Overhead Railway.

Kayla is behind the Liverpool Underground campaign and has previously shared her idea for a massively expanded Merseyrail system, similar to the London tube network.

While the overall vision is a very long-term idea, she believes work could begin on her vision for a 9.25 mile Sergeant Pepper line right away as 80% of the proposed line already exists.
I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed as part of a bigger thread quite a while back, but it's worth revisiting.

I'm not totally convinced that the numbers would add up, particularly sufficient traffic flow to justify the eastern side. However, as that's utilising the existing Bootle Branch, the initial outlay there won't be as eye-watering as, inter alia, resurrecting the "Dockers' Umbrella" along the Dock Road. Quite what residents of the new properties built along the waterfront might say is, of course, another potential banana skin.

However, reusing the old Waterloo Tunnel, plus Atlantic Dock Junction to Canada Dock, would be a sensible reuse of resources.

As ever, this one would come down to political will and cold, hard, cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
The stations are so close together you could jump from the platform of one to the platform of another :P

PR1Berske

Established Member
That looks like it would exhaust every last supply of Crayola pencils. Bonkers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I hope that the staff uniform will consist of Sergeant Pepper style outfits (including monocles and moustaches where appropriate).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My mother would call this 'another hare brained scheme', although such comments are normally reserved for me!

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

daikilo

Established Member
She's missed out the Merseyrail extension from West Kirby to Rhyl...

Well, looks like she wants to reinstate the hovercraft link ...

I was hoping to see the Hooton-West Kirby line reinstated, but I agree more direct lines are better (although Heswall to Mickle Trafford is intriguing).

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Is she the same person who regularly posts fantasies on here about what new railways the council, Merseytravel or various mayoral candidates are going to build in Liverpool?

Her plans would be quite charming if she was at primary school but she's in her 30s.

urbophile

Established Member
Most of this is in the realm of fantasy, but reinstating a metro service along the Bootle dock branch (Edge Hill via Tue Brook) has been talked about often enough, and would help to revive some of those rather depressed areas. However the circular line she proposes would not offer a swift enough journey to the city centre and it would be better to join the Northern line at Sandhills. Nobody is going to go all the way round the houses on a train when they could get a direct bus.

The outer loop line via Gateacre and Broad Green could also be viable. I'm surprised that she hasn't included a station at Broad Green hospital which should be a no-brainer.

The yellow line (Metropolitan! - should be mulberry colour) on the Liverpool side virtually duplicates the ill-fated Merseytram proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

8A Rail

Established Member
It is actually one of the better suggestions to come out of the fantasy world over the last couple of years but like the rest of them, they will remain fantasy for numeorus reasons with money being the top of the list! As for Canada Dock, has someone not told her, it is no longer available as the main site has been infilled and being built upon! Not sure when she says it took three years to come up with it, I thought it may of been a short afternoon!

urbophile

Established Member
Post-Brexit, and post-everything else including the City Region Mayor, everything is uncertain. If we go into recession that's all the money gone; if on the other hand the optimists are right, and the Northern Powerhouse survives George Osborne's journalistic adventures (he could surely fund it single-handed), some of these proposals could take off. Several of them (including the Waterloo and Wapping tunnels) have been discussed in more serious circles. And we were promised more expansion of Merseyrail after the collapse of the tram scheme: but that money has probably leaked away by now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Follows my rule of always bewaring proposals where the proposer feels it necessary to highlight their credentials (they are an engineer, don't you know?) before the end of the first paragraph, as if it gives their idea some sort of automatic legitimacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.