• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool - Southampton Cheapest Fare Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
Hello Boys and Girls.

In August I am jetting off on holiday to sunny Portugal, I am flying out on the 2nd from Manchester, this is the easy bit. If anyone has any tips for Southampton - Manchester Airport arriving at 1630 then that would be greatly appreciated but I was just going to go for a bog standard Advance.

Now for the difficult (ish) bit, I am due to land in Liverpool John Lennon Airport at 1130 on the 9th of August, so assuming it takes an hour to get through customs and baggage reclaim, I will then take the bus to either Liverpool Lime Street or Liverpool South Parkway, not fussed which too be honest. I will then need to catch the train down to Southampton, not fussed on route, just needs to be a reasonable price (with 16-25 railcard). It could be an Advance but I am a bit skeptical about getting these as the flight could be delayed and render the ticket useless.

So I am looking for a (semi) flexible ticket from Liverpool to Southampton with YP discount at a decent cost (I want to say no more than about £60 if possible) on the 9th of August.

Many thanks.

Lewis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pen Mill

One option is to get an off peak return Southampton to Manchester Airport for £67.40 :-09:46 ex-Southampton on 2/8/12 change Birmingham New Street and Man Piccadilly (arrives 14:38). Returning Man Airport change Man Pic and direct to Southmapton at 14:00 on the 9th.

The little matter of the gap between Liverpool & Man Airport can be filled by an anytime single @ £8.90 , changing at Man Picc. Leave LPY at 12:32 arr Man Airpoirt at 13:42.
You are actually able to skip the Man Airport leg from this trip as you would've had to change at Piccadilly anyway to get the XC train home.

Total cost of the round trip is £76.30

Full route is Southampton/Birmingham/Man Picc/Man Airport .... Liverpool South Pky/Man Picc/Southampton.

Actually you don't need to book Liverpool - Man Airport just Picadilly which cuts that leg back to 7.25. If you really wanted to gamble , you can book that leg advance for £1.30 !!!!!!!!!!!! If the plane is late you're all of £1.30 down , if not you're anoither £6 up !!

You've got basically full flexibility as far as I can see.

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
book Liverpool - Man Airport just Picadilly which cuts that leg back to 7.25. If you really wanted to gamble , you can book that leg advance for £1.30 !!!!!!!!!!!! If the plane is late you're all of £1.30 down
If you book this through FTPE you can be up to 3 hours late on arrival, with an advance ticket (Manchester Airport and Liverpool), just go to the Ticket Office before travel and have your ticket endorsed

soil

Established Member
Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
When travelling back from Liverpool John Lennon to either Liverpool Lime Street or Liverpool South Parkway, don't forget before you travel to purchase the Single add-on fare set by Merseyrail :)

You get Y-P discount.

Lime Street fare here. South Parkway fare here.

johnnycache

Its not the fastest ever journey but...

Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston £11 Advance with LM 1504/1849 changing at Stafford
London Victoria to Southampton Central £4 Advance with Southern 1932/2207
direct

These are full adult prices - less with Railcard

6% cashback with topcashback if you buy from southernrailway.com!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Maybe you could get return flights with Flybe to manchester airport? Then when you come back get a £8.90 single from liverpool south parkway to manchester airport?

I don't know this is just off the top of my head and just a suggestion.

sonic2009

Established Member
Maybe you could get return flights with Flybe to manchester airport? Then when you come back get a £8.90 single from liverpool south parkway to manchester airport?

I don't know this is just off the top of my head and just a suggestion.

I've just looked at this and it will cost the OP roughly about £100.

Lrd

Established Member
Many thanks for the replys, didn't realize the normal return to Manchester/Liverpool was so reasonable.

When travelling back from Liverpool John Lennon to either Liverpool Lime Street or Liverpool South Parkway, don't forget before you travel to purchase the Single add-on fare set by Merseyrail :)

You get Y-P discount.

Lime Street fare here. South Parkway fare here.
Thanks Sonic, they look like great fares for the bus but I'm not sure what I add them on to?

Its not the fastest ever journey but...

Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston £11 Advance with LM 1504/1849 changing at Stafford
London Victoria to Southampton Central £4 Advance with Southern 1932/2207
direct

These are full adult prices - less with Railcard

6% cashback with topcashback if you buy from southernrailway.com!
I've done Southampton to Birmingham this way before all for a grand total of about £8 (How can you possibly make money on that is beyond me!) and I may just book it anyway and not be too worried if I miss it, just need to make sure I have money on me, but I see the LM only off peak fares are quite cheap as well so will need to have a think.

sonic2009

Established Member
For the Liverpool Airport to Liverpool South Parkway fare I believe you can purchase this at the ticket office and not online.

I'm sure if you show them flight details and any ticket from Liverpool South Parkway, then will sell it to you, as I don't think you can buy it online.

calc7

Established Member
I've done Southampton to Birmingham this way before all for a grand total of about £8 (How can you possibly make money on that is beyond me!) and I may just book it anyway and not be too worried if I miss it, just need to make sure I have money on me, but I see the LM only off peak fares are quite cheap as well so will need to have a think.

They're not making money on that ;) It's market-skimming pricing: the service is going to run anyway (so that they can get a share of the lucrative "Anytime" commuter market) so that revenue is just a seat that would have otherwise been empty!

Lrd

Established Member
For the Liverpool Airport to Liverpool South Parkway fare I believe you can purchase this at the ticket office and not online.

I'm sure if you show them flight details and any ticket from Liverpool South Parkway, then will sell it to you, as I don't think you can buy it online.
Do you think i'll be able to do this at say Southampton or Manchester? Or will it have to be a Merseyrail station? If not, I might as well just get Plusbus online.

Established Member
Now for the difficult (ish) bit, I am due to land in Liverpool John Lennon Airport at 1130 on the 9th of August, so assuming it takes an hour to get through customs and baggage reclaim.....

Liverpool is never an hour.

My flight from Barcelona, Thursday just gone....

Plane lands 1721
Plane door opens 1723
On steps 1725
On tarmac 1726
Passport control 1727
Airport concourse 1729
Through door of Manchester Terravison bus 1730
for a 1730 bus to Manchester :)

calc7

Established Member
Liverpool is never an hour.

My flight from Barcelona, Thursday just gone....

Plane lands 1721
Plane door opens 1723
On steps 1725
On tarmac 1726
Passport control 1727
Airport concourse 1729
Through door of Manchester Terravison bus 1730
for a 1730 bus to Manchester :)

I assume you just had hand luggage. Baggage reclaim can be a bit of a lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.