• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool St James - reopening - new name will be Liverpool Baltic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks. I did not know that.

Nor I, I've always wondered what Meols meant, given that it's a term you get in a few places in the area that aren't near one another (i.e. Meols on the Wirral, and Meols Cop in Southport).

What language is it?

Edit: sorry, could have tried Google first:

Meols was named as such by the Vikings; its original name from the Old Norse for 'sand dunes' was melr,[4][5] becoming melas by the time of the Domesday Survey.[6][7]

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meols

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth

Established Member
Headbolt Lane makes me think of Boris Karloff. The area may be in the civil parish of Simonswood, a pleasant name, but to add to the risk of confusion it's pronounced Simmonswood according to the spelling on old maps. One of my aunts lived in Kirkby Northwood, and her telephone exchange was officially called Simonswood. There used to be a set of sidings known as Simonswood Sidings as well, I think installed in the war to relieve pressure on Aintree or possibly as a back-up if Aintree yard was bombed.

Headbolt Lane is in Kirkby. It may have been in Simonswood prior to the building of the new town.

Andyjs247

Perhaps Cop means "not that close to the"!
The word Kop means hill and comes originally from Afrikaans; same as how the Kop at Anfield got its name.

Spion Kop was the location of a famous battle in the Boer War in which many soldiers from Liverpool fought.

vic-rijrode

The word Kop means hill and comes originally from Afrikaans; same as how the Kop at Anfield got its name.

Spion Kop was the location of a famous battle in the Boer War in which many soldiers from Liverpool fought.
There are other Spion Kops available - once at Hillsborough for instance.

S&CLER

Where is the hill at Meols Cop then? There is also a Wyke Cop crossing between Meols Cop and Bescar, an area known for its absence of hills, indeed it's practically flat, being reclaimed from a former lake called Martin Mere. And there was a station called Cop Lane at Penwortham, another non-hilly area in much the same part of the world. I'd be more inclined to look for an origin in some northwestern dialect peculiarity.

Meole

Where is the hill at Meols Cop then? There is also a Wyke Cop crossing between Meols Cop and Bescar, an area known for its absence of hills, indeed it's practically flat, being reclaimed from a former lake called Martin Mere. And there was a station called Cop Lane at Penwortham, another non-hilly area in much the same part of the world. I'd be more inclined to look for an origin in some northwestern dialect peculiarity.
Cop and Kop have differing origins.

John Luxton

Established Member
I always perceived the COP part of the name as being an abbreviation for coppice.

Lloyds siding

In Lancashire a cop is an earth wall or bank if artificial and a small hill if natural. so same etymology as Spion Kop in South Africa. Probably why the name Spion Kop was adopted for the earth bank at one end of Liverpool's Anfield football ground: it was already a 'cop' to the locals.
The 'sea banks' in Southport, that have been used to push the sea back as man has 'reclaimed' the beach and turn into land, are known as 'cops'. Cops were also used to push back Martin Mere as S&CLER says.

Last edited:

D821

Vote results are in, "Liverpool Baltic" was chosen with 74% of the votes, according to the Liverpool Echo today.

Established Member
So the people have voted.

Merseytravel, as usual will take on board the public's opinion and open Stationy McStationface in Summer 2032

Skie

Link here which goes into more detail with quotes form the usual talking heads. Does say the visuals are an idea of the layout of the station, not an example of the final design or fit and finish.

https://www.liverpoolcityregion-ca....altic-triangle-station-following-public-vote/
Voting was open for four weeks and there was a great response, with over 1,000 comments in the first 24 hours. The final results saw Liverpool Baltic the clear winner with 77.7% of the vote, with Liverpool Parliament Street in second on 15.2% and Liverpool Riverside third on 7.1%.

A decision was taken to change the station name to avoid any confusion with the existing James Street station in Liverpool city centre

The scheme is currently in the design development stage. Land has already been purchased to safeguard the site of the new station ticket office building. The current plans aim for the station to be open in 2025, subject to funding being secured for the construction stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

urbophile

Established Member
But to be consistent all the other stations within the city need to be prefixed 'Liverpool'. Quite unnecessary.

modernrail

But to be consistent all the other stations within the city need to be prefixed 'Liverpool'. Quite unnecessary.
Think I agree although ‘Baltic’ also sounds a bit odd without the prefix. That said there are plenty of odd sounding station names around the world that are true to their location and so yeah maybe the prefix is unnecessary.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nor I, I've always wondered what Meols meant, given that it's a term you get in a few places in the area that aren't near one another (i.e. Meols on the Wirral, and Meols Cop in Southport).
That probably is the origin of the name Eskmeals, an area of dunes just south of Ravenglass on the Cumbrian Coast line.
Also historically a Viking stronghold.
Station closed 1959.
Today is a nature reserve.

WesternS

Vote results are in, "Liverpool Baltic" was chosen with 74% of the votes, according to the Liverpool Echo today.
Obviously the Northern Irish/Ulster use of the term 'baltic' to mean 'it's absolutely bl****dy freezing today/out there' is not one that has crossed the Irish Sea. Not knowing Liverpool and its stations at all (bar one visit to Lime St), it may well of course be another example of super-ironic Scouse humour...

urbophile

Established Member
Obviously the Northern Irish/Ulster use of the term 'baltic' to mean 'it's absolutely bl****dy freezing today/out there' is not one that has crossed the Irish Sea. Not knowing Liverpool and its stations at all (bar one visit to Lime St), it may well of course be another example of super-ironic Scouse humour...
Oh it has. I'd think that in that case Baltic describes Sandhills better.

D821

I'm still surprised that 'Baltic Triangle' wasn't an option.

Obviously the Northern Irish/Ulster use of the term 'baltic' to mean 'it's absolutely bl****dy freezing today/out there' is not one that has crossed the Irish Sea.

It's certainly a phrase used locally, I don't think it's a preserve of NI.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
"Baltic Triangle" is what it should be.
I agree, otherwise the next stations south would be 'Liverpool Brunswick', 'Liverpool St. Michaels', etc., etc. It's almost like they've caught the governments disease of shoving 'Great British' in front of everything except with 'Liverpool'.

Gareth

Established Member

This reminds me of the so-called "fourth grace" debacle nearly two decades ago now. There were four designs for this new flagship waterfront building and a public vote was set up. The council went with the one that came fourth (that is, last) and that ended up not being built either.

The exile

Established Member
Out of the options offered it is probably the best, but it sounds clumsy as Baltic is an adjective and it is missing a noun. Even "Baltic Liverpool" would read better.
Only because we’re not used to it. The same applies to “Central, North, South” etc and no one bats an eye at them.

Established Member
Think I agree although ‘Baltic’ also sounds a bit odd without the prefix. That said there are plenty of odd sounding station names around the world that are true to their location and so yeah maybe the prefix is unnecessary.
Is it really any different to 'Botanic' in Belfast?

Or even University (Birmingham)?

Status
Not open for further replies.