• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool stations question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I'm searching online (eastcoast as that's the one I usually use) for the price of a day return Southport to James Street. All the results tell me to walk from Moorfields to James Street, which they calculate at approx 25 mins. Surely this can't be right? Why don't they show the Wirral Line connection at Moorfields? Is this not an allowed journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Green Lane

I'm searching online (eastcoast as that's the one I usually use) for the price of a day return Southport to James Street. All the results tell me to walk from Moorfields to James Street, which they calculate at approx 25 mins. Surely this can't be right? Why don't they show the Wirral Line connection at Moorfields? Is this not an allowed journey?

I understand there's planned engineering work on the Wirral Line this weekend, with the loop line out of action. All Wirral Line trains will be terminating at James Street.

You might be seeing the above if you are looking at one of the affected dates.

EDIT: This starts tomorrow (Friday). The affected dates are 6th, 7th & 8th July.
http://ripassetseu.s3.amazonaws.com...l__1340697282_Loop_line_closure_July_2012.pdf

In addition, Ellesmere Port trains will be running a shuttle service to Hooton on the affected dates.

As a frequent user of the service, I can say that this mode of operation on the Wirral Line, whilst not exactly regular, is not uncommon during planned engineering works on the loop line.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks again, all clear now. What with Central out of action and now this there's not much point travelling to Liverpool by train this weekend. Good thing I was only idly considering the idea!

Last edited:

Established Member
When I was in Liverpool last month they were running a replacement bus from Lime Street to Central, so I assume that is still the case?

Green Lane

Thanks again, all clear now. What with Central out of action and now this there's not much point travelling to Liverpool by train this weekend. Good think I was only idly considering the idea!

Indeed and I'm still contemplating whether or not to do an All Zones Saveaway on Saturday. Got a couple of trips to stations on the City Line planned. I might still do it. Depends on the weather too. :D

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Hi.

All Wirral Line services are starting and terminating at James Street from 6th-8th July (tomorrow 'til Sunday), which is why no connection is shown.

The walk is easy. Use the 'Moorfields' exit (not Old Hall Street), turn right onto the main road, walking with the traffic until you reach the town hall. Turn left, walking towards the law courts, and James Street is the road at the next set of traffic lights. It takes me 5 minutes and will take you 10 mins max.

Yes, the rail replacement buses are still operating, as well as additional services between James Street and St. George's Hall - which makes no difference if travelling from Moorfields.

It's also worth notiing that Ellesmere Port services will only operate between Hooton and Ellesmere Port, with Chester trains strengthened to 6 cars, enabling passengers to connect at Hooton.

As for fares (as we're in the Fares section?) a ticket to either Moorfields, James Street or Lime Street will print as LIVERPOOL STNS.

Green Lane

When I was in Liverpool last month they were running a replacement bus from Lime Street to Central, so I assume that is still the case?

Yes that's still the case. The red buses (Moorfields -> Liverpool ONE -> Elliot Street -> Lime Street -> Moorfields) will still be running until the end of the Liverpool Central refurb (October I think). And this includes the next three days.

In addition, another rail replacement bus service will be running just from this Friday to Sunday between James Street station and St George's Hall, due to the loop line being out of action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.