• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Street-Norwich, loco hauled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Guys, I have not been on this route for about 20 years, I am thinking of going to Cromer, leaving about lunchtime and returning mid day ish the next day.

I note that there is a half hourly service between Liverpool Street and Norwich, are they all Class 90s on this service or are some trains units?
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As far as I understand, other than some peak time services (so shouldn't be an issue for you) or occasional substitutions (announced as being short formed and without catering) they're all 90 + mark 3. Drab, run down, mark 3s mind. As long as the service is marked in the timetable/journey planner as having catering it should, as far as I know, be hauled (or, rather, shoved on the down- the locos are at the london end)

lincolnshire

Rather have the seats to sit on in drab MK3,s than them hard and uncomfortable seats on East Coast. The hardest and most uncomfortable seats on any train I have been on.

lemonic

The trains to avoid are 17:02 London-Norwich and 19:30 Norwich-London on weekdays which are formed of 12-carriage 321s. All other Norwich-London trains are booked for Class 90+Mk3, although as jopsuk says, there are occasional substitutions but this is fairly rare.

38Cto15E

Thanks for that guys, a First advance is only £8.60 with railcard,I am not sure if the First seating is any more comfortable.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I prefer standard, only going first if its cheaper (as is often the case)

TP

dk1

Veteran Member
Also try to avoid 06.25, 11.30 & 16.30 ex-Liv.St & 09.00, 14.00 & 22.00 ex Norwich. These trains are first to be substituted by a 321s in the event of 90/DVT shortage due to being self contained diagrams for London crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.