• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Euston Non-Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E6007

1T10 and 1Z63 08:00 and 08:10 Euston - Liverpool Lime St arr 10:49 and 10:55 for Fulham football fans playing Liverpool today. Return 1T54 at 15:21 arrive Euston 17:30 (scheduled), 17:14 actual. No idea if this is a record.

E6007

Note that usual 08:10 Euston - Manchester started from Crewe at 10:33 as connection out of 1Z63 above

The Planner

Veteran Member
It looked a decent run but it was only that early as it didn't use up any of the pathing and engineering allowances.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Quick question... how was 1Z63 able to terminate in Lime St platform 9, given that 1T10 was supposedly still occupying it? Then there's 5Z63 which logically looks like an ECS working related to 1Z63, but departs from p10 despite 1F10 having arrived there not 6 minutes previously...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea.../11/11/1055?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=VT
hellup.

I don't think RTT can be relied upon to show correct platform information but i may be wrong.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I don't think RTT can be relied upon to show correct platform information but i may be wrong.
Out on the North Wales Coast, it'll show booked platform information, but any alterations by the signaller will be left as a surprise when you get to the station.

louis97

Established Member
Quick question... how was 1Z63 able to terminate in Lime St platform 9, given that 1T10 was supposedly still occupying it? Then there's 5Z63 which logically looks like an ECS working related to 1Z63, but departs from p10 despite 1F10 having arrived there not 6 minutes previously...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea.../11/11/1055?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=VT
hellup.

All looks like it reported correctly to me. Sounds like you are relying on what you'd expect to happen without looking at the actual arrival/departure times of said trains.

Platform 9: 1A14 departed at 1038, 1T10 arrived 1042, 5T41 departed at 1059 and 1Z63 arrived at 1103.
Platform 10: 1F10 arrived 1108, and departed as 5Z63 at 1119.

The_Train

Established Member
I saw this in the scheduling yesterday and wondered what it was. I still imagine football specials being specially arranged charters with some classic traction at the helm not a modern pendolino run by Virgin.

Are these sort of things arranged by the relevant clubs based on how much interest there is? Can't imagine VT sticking specials on just on the off chance Fulham fans can't be bothered to drive up to Liverpool

_toommm_

Established Member
I saw this in the scheduling yesterday and wondered what it was. I still imagine football specials being specially arranged charters with some classic traction at the helm not a modern pendolino run by Virgin.

Are these sort of things arranged by the relevant clubs based on how much interest there is? Can't imagine VT sticking specials on just on the off chance Fulham fans can't be bothered to drive up to Liverpool

It may not be a special as such, more an extra service to release pressure off the other services serving other stops - just an express to London that's not normally in the timetable.

Forward thinking, which isn't used on the railways much these days.

AK1982

Interesting thread.

Does anyone know how easy it is for virgin west coast to provide these extra services bearing in mind rolling stock issues?

Also is it network rail who provide the timings, just thinking about how busy the WCML is south of weaver junction?

Lastly would this service of been advertised in advance or just via travel companies for Fulham fans?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Interesting thread.

Does anyone know how easy it is for virgin west coast to provide these extra services bearing in mind rolling stock issues?

Also is it network rail who provide the timings, just thinking about how busy the WCML is south of weaver junction?
These are probably less of an issue on a Sunday.

The_Train

Established Member
It may not be a special as such, more an extra service to release pressure off the other services serving other stops - just an express to London that's not normally in the timetable.

Forward thinking, which isn't used on the railways much these days.

So on this basis then, Virgin would just have taken a punt that enough Fulham fans would travel to make it a profitable service? Very brave move if that is the case.

Interestingly it was showing on RTT as an 'unadvertised express' which is how charters are usually listed and I guess would not have shown up on booking sites. I assume train tickets would have had to be purchased at the club when buying your match ticket?

Triumph

These are probably less of an issue on a Sunday.
A sunday sees 50 out of 56 Pendos out. So its just good diagramming. Lots of sets don't come into service until the late afternoon on a Sunday. An extra set stabled at Euston Saturday overnight instead of running ECS to XOY and this then balanced out on Sunday night by the return trip from LIV running an extra service to WVH. 1H63 was started ECS from XML using the last set off the depot for 5A41 which came ECS from LIV of one of the extra down services from EUS.

snowball

Established Member
A sunday sees 50 out of 56 Pendos out. So its just good diagramming. Lots of sets don't come into service until the late afternoon on a Sunday. An extra set stabled at Euston Saturday overnight instead of running ECS to XOY and this then balanced out on Sunday night by the return trip from LIV running an extra service to WVH. 1H63 was started ECS from XML using the last set off the depot for 5A41 which came ECS from LIV of one of the extra down services from EUS.
Where's XOY? Come to that, where's XML?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So on this basis then, Virgin would just have taken a punt that enough Fulham fans would travel to make it a profitable service? Very brave move if that is the case.

Not sure - i expect the club or Thomas Cook ( who are the official travel partner of the premier league) will have been involved although i cant find any mention of a fans only train.

Interestingly it was showing on RTT as an 'unadvertised express' which is how charters are usually listed and I guess would not have shown up on booking sites. I assume train tickets would have had to be purchased at the club when buying your match ticket?

not for a game like this. For some of the charters Thomas Cook have run ( most often for London clubs at Liverpool or Newcastle and vice versa) you can buy a combined travel and match package but usually travel is up to you.

Fulham might have advertised the extra train but it looks like a normal train rather than a special. I have seen clubs do that and get the corporate virgin discount on tickets ( c.25%)

Clubs also block book team travel on service trains and Virign in particular You often see them at Euston with a coach on the platform waiting for them. Bigger clubs go first class. I wonder if Fulham contacted Virgin to block book first class and Virgin offered them their own train.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure - i expect the club or Thomas Cook ( who are the official travel partner of the premier league) will have been involved although i cant find any mention of a fans only train.

not for a game like this. For some of the charters Thomas Cook have run ( most often for London clubs at Liverpool or Newcastle and vice versa) you can buy a combined travel and match package but usually travel is up to you.

Fulham might have advertised the extra train but it looks like a normal train rather than a special. I have seen clubs do that and get the corporate virgin discount on tickets ( c.25%)

Clubs also block book team travel on service trains and Virign in particular You often see them at Euston with a coach on the platform waiting for them. Bigger clubs go first class. I wonder if Fulham contacted Virgin to block book first class and Virgin offered them their own train.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the reply @DarloRich.

I have seen pictures of teams waiting on platforms for trains, particularly Man Utd at Stockport (didn't Fellaini have a run in with a 'fan' whilst waiting for a train?) I'm surprised certain clubs haven't purchased a train set and had it re-liveried into their club colours for official use. I suppose they would be a big target for vandals though

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Interesting stuff, thanks for the reply @DarloRich.

I have seen pictures of teams waiting on platforms for trains, particularly Man Utd at Stockport (didn't Fellaini have a run in with a 'fan' whilst waiting for a train?) I'm surprised certain clubs haven't purchased a train set and had it re-liveried into their club colours for official use. I suppose they would be a big target for vandals though

it isnt worth the hassle nor the money as it wont get used often enough. Better to just hire one in. The risk is all on the TOC then. The train is mainly used for clubs in London going north or Northern clubs coming to London but it isnt just Premier league clubs who use the train. It is happening more and more as I suspect it saves both time and cost for the club. No overnight if you get the train.

ag51ruk

I caught an extra train at Crewe on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago, which was "Wolverhampton only" - turned out to be a Pendolino running down to Wolves to work a football special back to Manchester after an early kick off. I think I was the only passenger on the trip south!

notlob.divad

Established Member
Everton played at Chelsea as well the same day. Did the return workings double up as 'specials' for Everton fans to travel too?

SoccerHQ

it isnt worth the hassle nor the money as it wont get used often enough. Better to just hire one in. The risk is all on the TOC then. The train is mainly used for clubs in London going north or Northern clubs coming to London but it isnt just Premier league clubs who use the train. It is happening more and more as I suspect it saves both time and cost for the club. No overnight if you get the train.

Man. United usually head down on a Friday afternoon if they're playing in London.

Can you imagine a team risking it on a Saturday morning (for a 3pm) and let's say it's Villa or Wolves and there's wire problems just past Rugby so they all have to cram into a London Midland!

Overnight stay is sensible even with the train.

Overnight stay is mandatory in the premier league no matter who you are playing. Even if man united are playing Man City they have to stay in a hotel overnight.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Man. United usually head down on a Friday afternoon if they're playing in London.

Can you imagine a team risking it on a Saturday morning (for a 3pm) and let's say it's Villa or Wolves and there's wire problems just past Rugby so they all have to cram into a London Midland!

Overnight stay is sensible even with the train.

Overnight stay is mandatory in the premier league no matter who you are playing. Even if man united are playing Man City they have to stay in a hotel overnight.

No idea about that - i don't support a premier league team.

Status
Not open for further replies.