• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool To Glasgow train type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

Got a trip booked with TPE in March.

1212 on a Tuesday. LIV - GLC.

Are there still any 350s on this route or will it be one of the Nova trains?

Thanks

Saperstein.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RHolmes

Hi,

Thanks

Saperstein.

TPE Class 350’s don’t operate to Liverpool

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Neither, it will be a 185 for the foreseeable future.
The Manchester services will see 397s first.
It's unlikely 350s will operate the route.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi,

Thanks

Saperstein.

350s haven't operated this route and due to delays with the 397s, 185s have been standing in. It's of lower priority than the Manchester Airport services so as LNW alludes to, it's going to be 185s for a while yet.

frodshamfella

Established Member
What are the very sleek looking TPE trains I've seen at Lime Street then ? I fancied going on one, I don't know much about train types !

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What are the very sleek looking TPE trains I've seen at Lime Street then ? I fancied going on one, I don't know much about train types !

Either the Class 68 + Mk5a coaching stock or Class 802 bi-mode multiple units.

See below for sample pictures...

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Class 802:
800px-Nova_1_in_London_Kings_Cross_20.02.19.jpg

Mk5a Driving Trailer:
800px-TP02_at_Lancaster_-_mk5a_set.jpg
Class 68 loco:
800px-28.02.19_York_68022_and_68023_(46646792045).jpg

For comparison this is a Class 397 Electric Multiple Unit, which will eventually operate the Glasgow-Liverpool services:
800px-TPE_397004_Glasgow_Central_June_2019.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Established Member
I haven't seen an Edinburgh cancellation for a week or so now, although I'm only going by what I see when I pass through Waverley, Newcastle or York.

In a couple of weeks I might even risk booking with them between Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I haven't seen an Edinburgh cancellation for a week or so now, although I'm only going by what I see when I pass through Waverley, Newcastle or York.

In a couple of weeks I might even risk booking with them between Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Think one or two were running short today, or are you just talking Monday to Saturday?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes, the biggest risk on TPE at the moment is trains turning short of destination because of delays or other complications on their network.
It particularly effects the ends of each route.

Established Member
Think one or two were running short today, or are you just talking Monday to Saturday?
Just Monday to Friday for me. On the basis of what you've said I'll stick with other providers for the time being.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The full timetable between Liverpool and Edinburgh started a few weeks ago and are 802's.

It’s gradually ramped up since the Dec timetable change. At the end of December there were usually 4 units in the cycle, it’s just short of the expected full 10 by now, as 9 Edinburgh diagrams were reported to be planned on Feb 17th onwards:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...class-802-diagrams.192826/page-9#post-4432419

Cheers guys, I knew they'd postponed the Edinburgh extensions due to the stock issues, so it's good to see that's resolved now

anti-pacer

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks

Saperstein.

Haha. How strange? I was about to post the same question myself.

Bit disappointed it's a 185 though. Wires all the way but yet diesel stock! Ah well!

D9006

Observed the 1412 Dep from Liverpool Lime st to Glasgow today, was a 3 car 185, left Liverpool full and standing, wasn’t expecting uptake on new service to be this popular

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Observed the 1412 Dep from Liverpool Lime st to Glasgow today, was a 3 car 185, left Liverpool full and standing, wasn’t expecting uptake on new service to be this popular

The services are normally quite quiet. I think it might've been an onflux of people travelling from Liverpool to Wigan/Preston as it is a faster train for them.

Established Member
Same old same old for any Scottish TPE south of Preston, whether it's a Liverpool or not.

Maybe the new stock will solve it, or maybe it won't.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Same old same old for any Scottish TPE south of Preston, whether it's a Liverpool or not.

Maybe the new stock will solve it, or maybe it won't.

Lancaster and Preston tend to be where TPE fill. Normally because it is a faster train to Manchester for them. The Barrow services also suffer the same

Vinnym

Probably busy because Northern only run one train per hour on a Sunday (Blackpool North) and sometimes that can be cancelled. The TPE stops at St Helens Central, Wigan and Preston so probably picking up some of the Northern passengers.

Vinnym

The services are normally quite quiet. I think it might've been an onflux of people travelling from Liverpool to Wigan/Preston as it is a faster train for them.
I have used the 12.12 service twice recently midweek ex Liverpool Lime Street. It has been quite busy, but not full. Handy if like me you are going to St Helens Central as it goes non stop. On both occasions quite a few getting off at St Helens.

Status
Not open for further replies.