• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Heathrow 8th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I need the best option to get to and from Heathrow please.

Need to get to LHR for a 13:30 departure on 8th July with an open return (on 10th).

Any advice appreciated especially WRT the Standard Premium set-up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
If you don't mind an early start a cheaper option would be LNR to Euston then London Underground to Heathrow.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you want a fully flexible ticket both ways, and don't want to use WMT, you're going to be paying an arm and a leg for an Anytime ticket.

If you're happy to commit to an Advance ticket, at least on the outward leg, it's currently £38 in standard from Lime Street to Euston on the 07:47. That's probably the latest train you want to take if you want to be there in time.

It then depends on how you want to get to Heathrow - if you take the Tube all the way, it's just £3.30 on Oyster/contactless. If you take the Tube to Paddington and then TfL Rail, it's £10.40.

If you want to take the Heathrow Express, you're best off booking in advance - if you buy "Fixed Day" tickets now, it costs £18 for the outward journey and £16.50 for the return. That would be on top of the £2.40 for the Tube to get to Paddington.

On your way back to Liverpool you are probably best off waiting until the day to buy your ticket, as obviously your flight may be delayed or in fact you may face a lengthy queue at passport control (unless it's an intra-CTA flight).

There's no advantage to buying an Off-Peak Single now, as the old "Saver Half" has been scrapped. A Single is now 70% of the Off-Peak Return regardless of how or when you buy it. And of course there may be an Advance ticket on the day that's cheaper.

As for Standard Premium, that would cost you £25 each way and is simply payable to the guard on the day, like Weekend First used to be.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Is first offering a full breakfast now or is it a reduced offering. The 07.47 is showing a first advance it at £69.80, which is not much more than the advance standard + upgrade at £63.00.

Also what is the likely "worst case" cost for a walk-up single EUS-LIV on the Saturday afternoon? Having experienced Heathrow arrivals hall earlier this year, there is no way I'd risk an advance, even on the last train of the day!

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is first offering a full breakfast now or is it a reduced offering. The 07.47 is showing a first advance it at £69.80, which is not much more than the advance standard + upgrade at £63.00.

Also what is the likely "worst case" cost for a walk-up single EUS-LIV on the Saturday afternoon? Having experienced Heathrow arrivals hall earlier this year, there is no way I'd risk an advance, even on the last train of the day!
I think it's still a reduced offering - perhaps porridge and a snack or something. Obviously the usual (soft) drinks.

An Off-Peak Single from Euston to Liverpool is £66.10. Really I was referring more to the possibility of looking to see if there are any Advances cheaper than that once you've got through arrivals.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I think it's still a reduced offering - perhaps porridge and a snack or something. Obviously the usual (soft) drinks.

An Off-Peak Single from Euston to Liverpool is £66.10. Really I was referring more to the possibility of looking to see if there are any Advances cheaper than that once you've got through arrivals.
Thanks, might change my flight to Sunday 4th /Tuesday 6th so I can use an early morning off peak out leg too with an open off peak return?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks, might change my flight to Sunday 4th /Tuesday 6th so I can use an early morning off peak out leg too.
Just in case it helps, that Off-Peak ticket (whether Single or Return) is valid all day on Fridays.

sonic2009

Established Member
Have you considered using BA between Manchester Airport and Heathrow?

Haywain

Veteran Member
If OP has luggage, then OP may also need to add £15-£25 for the baggage.
Though, taking the plane is actually more hassle free.
The OP would still have to get to Manchester Airport, allow appropriate check-in time and potentially transfer between terminals at Heathrow. Strikes me as plenty of hassle, just in different places.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The OP would still have to get to Manchester Airport, allow appropriate check-in time and potentially transfer between terminals at Heathrow. Strikes me as plenty of hassle, just in different places.
I agree, particularly as there is the possibility for my checked luggage [tools] to disappear into the LHR black-hole! Thanks to others for the suggestion though.

Metal_gee_man

I agree, particularly as there is the possibility for my checked luggage [tools] to disappear into the LHR black-hole! Thanks to others for the suggestion though.
No worries, I was thinking checking your luggage through to the final destination anyway, but I fully understand you being on a rail forum and hopefully have an enjoyment of a rail journey over a flying fart can anyway, but some would find the London Tube/TFL Rail/HEX shuffle a ball ache and definitely hassle with any form of luggage

Haywain

Veteran Member
I was thinking checking your luggage through to the final destination anyway,
Is that possible if you’ve booked a domestic flight separately from an international flight, perhaps travelling with separate airlines?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Are both Sunday morning Avanti departures 4th July 2021 LIV-EUS at 08:18 and 08:38 currently running? I'm getting conflicting information and I'm not sure if both are direct?

I've changed my flight to Sunday 4th / Tuesday 6th, so an off-peak open return at £94.50 gives me the best flexibility v price.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
No worries, I was thinking checking your luggage through to the final destination anyway, but I fully understand you being on a rail forum and hopefully have an enjoyment of a rail journey over a flying fart can anyway, but some would find the London Tube/TFL Rail/HEX shuffle a ball ache and definitely hassle with any form of luggage

Is that possible if you’ve booked a domestic flight separately from an international flight, perhaps travelling with separate airlines?
BA will not through-check baggage on separate itineraries.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
As stated upthread, I'm planning to take the 08:18 Sunday Liverpool Lime St. to Euston Avanti service this coming weekend on an off-peak open return.

The return price is the same from my local Merseyrail station, but I can't book this via the Avanti website as the outward journey is too early for the local connection to Lime St. on the outward leg.

Any ideas of how to get around this (apart from buying from my local station then calling Avanti via telephone for the seat reservation)?

sonic2009

Established Member
You can tweet Avanti for a seat reservation once you have purchased the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.