• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Lewes route advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Can anyone help me find a cheaper way to get from Liverpool Central to Lewes on Sunday 28 October, 2 adults & 2 children with a Family & Friends railcard. If I use the National Rail planner it's GBP182 which is outrageous. Is there a smarter route we can take to get the ticket price down? or should we get a coach part of the way? We are from Australia and not familiar with the options and routes so would love some advice from you knowledgeable folk. thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
One way or return?

Off the top of my head, you could reduce that cost to approx £108:

You could buy a London Northwestern Railway Only fare (not valid on the faster Virgin trains) as far as London, costing £58 for all.

Then a London to Lewes fare at £50 for all passengers.

Advances may be available at a cheaper price, too. Trainsplit may be your best shot.

Jeannine

That's one way. Thanks Merseysider! I can see a GBP60 fare Liverpool to London. Brilliant.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
That's one way. Thanks Merseysider! I can see a GBP60 fare Liverpool to London. Brilliant.
In case you've not already bought your tickets, there are further options that are cheaper still - if you are prepared to accept a longer journey time with additional changes.

www.trainsplit.com will sell you a through itinerary for just £92.80, including their fee. You'll need to set the departure to 11:00, change the advanced options, to reduce the maximum number of changes to 4, enable "find more routes", and select "call at" for the station of "Atherstone (Warks)". That should then come up with an itinerary like this for £92.80.

It's possible to save even more - around £15 - if you are willing to walk from London Euston to London St Pancras (depending on your walking speed, it might take just as long as taking the Underground for the short distance). You would then want to book the tickets separately: from Liverpool to London Euston (selecting "change at" for "Crewe" in order to force it to select the cheaper Virgin West Coast only fare from Liverpool to Crewe), and from London St Pancras to Lewes.

Jeannine

Wow. Thanks so much for that suggestion. Train travel in Oz is so uncomplicated compared to here...

James Wake

There will be rail replacement buses from Three Bridges to Lewes on the day you are travelling, but they are well signposted in the main car park, and the buses run direct to Lewes, taking about an hour. As its my local station (Three Bridges) and being a bus enthusiast as well as train, I'm often down there watching the buses on the weekends.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
www.trainsplit.com will sell you a through itinerary for just £92.80, including their fee
Through tickets from Liverpool Lime Street (just around the corner from Liverpool Central) to Lewes are available at a reasonable price.

2 adults with Family Railcard (@£34.45) £68.90
2 children with Family Railcard (@£9.90) £29.80

To find these, go to tickets.tpexpress.co.uk

enter your search details as shown here:
1.PNG

Then select show me > show slower routes and check this box ('valid only on Southern and West Midlands Trains services'):
2.PNG

The total is £88.60 (ignore the £256 shown above, that's for a different search)

3.PNG

Worth noting that these tickets at this price are available from the ticket office or ticket machines immediately before departure too. Seat reservations are not possible, so there is only a convenience benefit in making the booking in advance.

It is worth noting that the travel time is about 7 hours on these tickets.​

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Through tickets from Liverpool Lime Street (just around the corner from Liverpool Central) to Lewes are available at a reasonable price.

View attachment 53995

Then select show me > show slower routes and check this box ('valid only on Southern and West Midlands Trains services):
View attachment 53996

The total is £88.60 (ignore the £256 shown above, that's for a different search)

View attachment 53997

Worth noting that these tickets at this price are available from the ticket office or ticket machines immediately before departure too. Seat reservations are not possible, so there is only a convenience benefit in making the booking in advance.

I'm not sure how I didn't think of that; the "Southern & WMT" routed tickets are excellent value for a number of such journeys! Of course, that is infinitely more simple than having a complicated combination of tickets, each with their own booked services and train company restrictions - especially for someone with limited experience of the rail network.

Jeannine

View attachment 53995

Then select show me > show slower routes and check this box ('valid only on Southern and West Midlands Trains services):
View attachment 53996

View attachment 53997

You win! This is fantastic advice. I would never have worked this out on my own. I did already buy some tickets but now I'm considering getting a refund and going with this option. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.