• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Lincoln - The Long Way 'Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
This Sunday (12th) I'm going from Liverpool to Lincoln and back in a day.

I always travel via Manchester, Sheffield and Doncaster.

Looking at NRE, I'm on the 0922 to York, changing onto a train to Newark North Gate, then a 59 minute wait for a train to Lincoln.
It's shown as valid.

Don't suppose anyone can clarify if it IS valid? And why the routing is so odd?

The return leg is just Lincoln > Sheffield > Manchester > Liverpool.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mathmo

Liverpool - Lincoln has a ridiculous number of allowed routes in the Routeing Guide. The first of these (maps CP+TP+ER) allows the route via York and Newark. (Possibly some others do too, but I don't want to look at them all!)

First class

Established Member
I suspect you may encounter problems with your intended journey, however, the route is valid, as described above, maps CP+TP+ER allow you to travel that way.

As with all round the houses routes, print the maps and take them with you! If you get excessed, you will get it back.

http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide/maps.pdf

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Maybe just because it's a Sunday?

The trains from NNG to Lincoln are roughly every 2 hours and 15 minutes, which seems odd

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
There really isn't much through Lincoln on a Sunday!

I've found a train to Sheffield, Cleethorpes and Newark N Gate. All 3 run roughly twice in 4 hours 30 mins.

Surely a station served by trains to London SP on weekdays should have a better Sunday service?

Failed Unit

Established Member
There really isn't much through Lincoln on a Sunday!

I've found a train to Sheffield, Cleethorpes and Newark N Gate. All 3 run roughly twice in 4 hours 30 mins.

Surely a station served by trains to London SP on weekdays should have a better Sunday service?

We have been saying that since 1992 when the savage cutbacks took to weekend and evening service took places. If you think that it is bad in the summer look at the Winter Sunday service - nothing from Nottingham before 17:00!

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
En route at the moment.

Just passed through Doncaster on the NXEC. No problems thus far, I have the routing diagrams just in case!

Status
Not open for further replies.