• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to London WMT/LNW fastest journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Outward journey Liverpool to London changing at Crewe seems consistent. Trying to find faster journey.

Returning London to Liverpool just misses connection at Stafford so adds 30 mins. Though there is one departure daily that doesn't so that is fastest.

Both journeys weekday. Anyone find anything quicker?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You could get an invalid travel itinerary at www.fastjp.com by specifying changing at: Stafford and entering a negative additional interchange value; this will be taken off the minimum interchange time. Also ensure you select West Midlands Trains only.

e.g: http://www.fastjp.com/#journeys?ori...M&odate=20200121&otime=1100&maxres=20&maxch=4

I do this sometimes at Leeds, when I know I need to change there, and - if my train is on time - I can beat the minimum interchange time requirement by some margin (especially as TPE are usually late anyway).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I'm booked to travel from London to Liverpool South Parkway on the 18:46 from Euston changing to the 21:30 at Crewe this Saturday on a LNW Advance Single.

Do I make my ticket invalid if I change at Stafford and get the Liverpool train 30 minutes earlier, (I caught this train on the same journey last month, but only because it was delayed arriving at Crewe, but I didn't get my ticket checked)?

Sorry I meant the LM 18:46 from Euston (now edited)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm booked to travel from London to Liverpool South Parkway on the 18:36 from Euston changing to the 21:30 at Crewe this Saturday on a LNW Advance Single.

Do I make my ticket invalid if I change at Stafford and get the Liverpool train 30 minutes earlier, (I caught this train on the same journey last month, but only because it was delayed arriving at Crewe, but I didn't get my ticket checked)?
If you have a mandatory reservation for the WMT train, I'd ask the Guard if they are happy for you to do this before boarding. In practice, I doubt they'd mind.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
If you take the xx:46 from Euston and get off at Stafford at xx:35, it is usually possible to dash across the footbridge to make the xx:38 to Liverpool which is usually late anyway. A scouse friend of mine does this regularly. This allows for a London - Liverpool South Parkway journey time of only 2 hours 45 minutes. As you have found, the 11:46 gets to Stafford quicker than any other service allowing you a much more generous 8 minutes to change rather than 3 minutes.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If you take the xx:46 from Euston and get off at Stafford at xx:35, it is usually possible to dash across the footbridge to make the xx:38 to Liverpool which is usually late anyway. A scouse friend of mine does this regularly. This allows for a London - Liverpool South Parkway journey time of only 2 hours 45 minutes. As you have found, the 11:46 gets to Stafford quicker than any other service allowing you a much more generous 8 minutes to change rather than 3 minutes.

Does he do this when booked on a 'mandatory reservation' though, (that books you on the xx:30 from Crewe)? I know I can't have it all my own way with a £25.50 return fare to Euston, but it does seem silly if they won't allow it?

gray1404

Established Member
The connection at Stafford is dreadful and it is something I wish London Midland had fixed and the now West Midland Trains has failed to address it either. Until the recent timetable change the service from Euston arrived at xx:35 and the Liverpool bound service also departed at xx:35 too which was annoying. Under the new timetable this is xx:35 and xx:38 which is still annoying. Although on both occasions I've traveled since this change I have been able to make the tight service in theory.

But in reality I've not been able to travel on it as I've been tied to a booked train on an Advance ticket. I really wish this issue would be fixed so a 5 minute connection could be possible at Stafford between these trains. Nothing more frustrating then watching that Liverpool train depart and having to wait for the next one.

My experience with asking the guard if I can get on the earlier train at Stafford has been mixed. I've had outright "yes" to "no sorry, as you're on an Advance ticket." If I am getting off at Stafford from Euston at xx:35 with an Advance ticket and I notice the xx:10 has been cancelled though, I have boarded the now xx:38 without asking on the basis my journey has already started (just got off train), my next booked train has been cancelled and I'm merely boarding the next available train with the same TOC.

In short, this problem needs sorting out and not before time! The connections on the Southbound leg are good, so why can't they be with the Northbound. Surely it's in WMT to do this too as they'd get more people attracted with a shorter journey time (30 minutes less) and onto their trains with their Advances or WMT Only walk ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.