• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Manchester Cheapest Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am going to be going from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester (any of the city centre stations is fine) next week. Most likely on Tuesday with a friend returning same day. We want to go about 10am and come back in the evening. We would really like to have some flexibility on which return train we can get home.

At the same time we don't want an excessive journey time.

I hold a Merseytravel issued Disabled Concession Pass and a Disabled Person's Railcard. My friend holds a Young Person's Railcard

The cheapest option I can find is using my PTE travel pass to Newton le Willows then I get a Off Peak Day Return Newton le Willows to Manchester.

My friend would need to get an Off Peak Day Return Liverpool to Manchester but he is saying this is still quite expensive.

He has noticed the Northern Only Off Peak Day Return but if I was to go via Newton le Willows using this, would it mean we'd have to get the all stations stopper?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I am going to be going from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester (any of the city centre stations is fine) next week. Most likely on Tuesday with a friend returning same day. We want to go about 10am and come back in the evening. We would really like to have some flexibility on which return train we can get home.

At the same time we don't want an excessive journey time.

I hold a Merseytravel issued Disabled Concession Pass and a Disabled Person's Railcard. My friend holds a Young Person's Railcard

The cheapest option I can find is using my PTE travel pass to Newton le Willows then I get a Off Peak Day Return Newton le Willows to Manchester.

My friend would need to get an Off Peak Day Return Liverpool to Manchester but he is saying this is still quite expensive.

He has noticed the Northern Only Off Peak Day Return but if I was to go via Newton le Willows using this, would it mean we'd have to get the all stations stopper?

If value is what you are after more than flexibility then there are plenty of advances available for £2.80 each way.

gray1404

Established Member
I am afraid Advances are not an option as we have no idea what time we want to come back, and don't want to be tied to a specific train.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I am afraid Advances are not an option as we have no idea what time we want to come back, and don't want to be tied to a specific train.
For what it's worth, looking at the Northern website right now (1730) I can see a £5 advance available tonight on the 1809 from Piccadilly to Lime Street. So if price is most important, you might be able to travel out to Manchester, and then pick up an advance to come back with once you're there.

But it's something of a gamble...

M28361M

For what it's worth, looking at the Northern website right now (1730) I can see a £5 advance available tonight on the 1809 from Piccadilly to Lime Street. So if price is most important, you might be able to travel out to Manchester, and then pick up an advance to come back with once you're there.

But it's something of a gamble...

Yes, Northern, TPE and EMR all offer "on the day" Advances between Manchester and Liverpool. I think the cut-off point is 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time, so you wouldn't have to commit to a specific train until then. But of course, the Advance quota may sell out.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

Then pay the off peak fare. You mentioned price was an issue. You didn't specify time was.

This is why advances where invented for those who are flexible. If you or your friend aren't take the hit on the off peak.

sonic2009

Established Member
I understand you don't wish to be tied to a time, but currently National Express have a return for Liverpool - Manchester, going on the 10am coach, and choose any coach from 1730 - 2035, for a total of £8.20 for 2 people including booking fee. Coach time is 1hr 5 minutes, and 1hr 10-1hr30 on the way back depending on what you choose.

Now if that isn't value for money i don't know what else is.

M28361M

I understand you don't wish to be tied to a time, but currently National Express have a return for Liverpool - Manchester, going on the 10am coach, and choose any coach from 1730 - 2035, for a total of £8.20 for 2 people including booking fee. Coach time is 1hr 5 minutes, and 1hr 10-1hr30 on the way back depending on what you choose.

Megabus have tickets for as little as £2 per person for Tuesday evening (plus booking fee).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Am I missing something? Does Gray have train travel in Merseyside included already? A TPE Only Newton-le-Willows to Manchester return with a railcard is £4.70. This permits the use of an express train and is cheaper than 2 advance tickets or Megabus?

The friend who does not have train travel in Merseyside included can add a £3.30 TPE Only return from Liverpool to Newton-le-Willows.

M28361M

Am I missing something? Does Gray have train travel in Merseyside included already? A TPE Only Newton-le-Willows to Manchester return with a railcard is £4.70. This permits the use of an express train and is cheaper than 2 advance tickets or Megabus?

The friend who does not have train travel in Merseyside included can add a £3.30 TPE Only return from Liverpool to Newton-le-Willows.

Ah, didn't spot those fares. That would be much cheaper, although the friend would be restricted to the one TPE train an hour that calls at Newton-le-Willows.

gray1404

Established Member
That's annoying that it will have to be the one TPE an hour that stops at Newton le Willows.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice in the end guys. Much appreciated. I opted for the £4.70 TPE Only ticket from NNW. Friend had a £5 off £10 spend voucher for a third party retailer so he got a ticket from Liverpool but it came out at £5.70

That was perfect because it gave us a choice of 2 trains per hour using the fast TPE service and the flexibility not to be tied to a specific train. Had a 30 minute delay on the return leg due to a cancelled service (happened to be in a coffee shop at station already so in that environment with a drink wasn't too bad) so the delay repay will reduce over all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.