• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Hi after the lockdown is fully lifted, I'm planning to visit Newcastle maybe a side trip to Edinburgh, I expect to travel first class.

Which train company and route is the best for this ?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mills444

Hi after the lockdown is fully lifted, I'm planning to visit Newcastle maybe a side trip to Edinburgh, I expect to travel first class.

Thanks.

I imagin your only real option is TPE from Liverpool to Newcastle however I am unsure what their FC provision is like so it may be better going a different route.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Direct service via Manchester, Leeds and York. Isn't this service now operated by the Nova 1 bi-modes? If so, I imagine first class would a very pleasurable experience. First class in the 185s is OK as well from the couple of times I've done it. Probably just because I had a seat!

Last edited:

Mills444

Class 802s now that I have looked at it so I imagine the FC will be similar to GWR just without complementary refreshments.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Direct service via Manchester, Leeds and York. Isn't this service now operated by the Nova 1 bi-modes? If so, I imagine first class would a very pleasurable experience. First class in the 185s is OK as well from the couple of times I've done it. Probably just because I had a seat!

It's not bad, but it's not as special as the Mk5 First Class which is up there with the best in Europe in my view.

I'd actually take a Mk5 set to York (you'll find them on the Scarborough service) and change to be able to enjoy it again.

I wouldn't do this in Standard as it's basically the same between the two (though more tables in the Mk5).

xotGD

Established Member
If you are paying full whack, take a 68 to York and change there for a LNER service forward to enjoy some free food and drink.

ScotTrains

A different option could be to use an Avanti plus connections ticket to allow access into the lounge at Liverpool then travel via Carlisle. This would involve changing at Preston, Wigan or possibly Warrington. The Tyne valley route is quite scenic but unfortunately doesn't have 1st class.

Depending on time of travel you may even get breakfast or hot dinner (with free alcohol) on the Avanti service.
TPEx may have some nice trains but their catering is awful. Before lockdown I travelled from Glasgow to Manchester at dinner time and all I got was a small muffin and two cups of coffee, and no lounge access.

If traveling with LNER via York later in the year the new LNER lounge in York may be open. You could also use the Newcastle one too on your arrival.

route101

Established Member
I thought TPE had plans to improve catering. Was that to imclude hot food?

route101

Established Member
A different option could be to use an Avanti plus connections ticket to allow access into the lounge at Liverpool then travel via Carlisle. This would involve changing at Preston, Wigan or possibly Warrington. The Tyne valley route is quite scenic but unfortunately doesn't have 1st class.

Depending on time of travel you may even get breakfast or hot dinner (with free alcohol) on the Avanti service.
TPEx may have some nice trains but their catering is awful. Before lockdown I travelled from Glasgow to Manchester at dinner time and all I got was a small muffin and two cups of coffee, and no lounge access.

If traveling with LNER via York later in the year the new LNER lounge in York may be open. You could also use the Newcastle one too on your arrival.

Not even crisps on TPE?

I thought you used to get sandwiches on Scottish TPE services !

ScotTrains

Not even crisps on TPE?

I thought you used to get sandwiches on Scottish TPE services !
A few years ago doing the same route but in reverse we asked if they had any crisps. We were then charged for them!! Apparently they are not part of the 1st class offering.
We've been avoiding TPEx for long journeys ever since, until early March when we decided to give them another go now that they have new Nova trains on the route. For a Friday evening service to only get one piece of cake was not what we were expecting. We were also the only ones in 1st.

If anything the catering has got worse. I remember a few years ago on a weekend we used to get a snack box filled with various nice items.
TPEx were also meant to be offering Carluccios pastries and pies on weekdays but I have never ever seen these onboard. Not sure if I've just been unlucky or if others have had the same experience.
If you do go with TPEx, I would take food with you.

XC have improved their catering and now offer crisps, cake, sandwiches, hot bacon rolls etc even on weekends. Travelling between York, Newcastle and Edinburgh my preference would be LNER, XC then TPEx.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
A few years ago doing the same route but in reverse we asked if they had any crisps. We were then charged for them!! Apparently they are not part of the 1st class offering.
We've been avoiding TPEx for long journeys ever since, until early March when we decided to give them another go now that they have new Nova trains on the route. For a Friday evening service to only get one piece of cake was not what we were expecting. We were also the only ones in 1st.

If anything the catering has got worse. I remember a few years ago on a weekend we used to get a snack box filled with various nice items.
TPEx were also meant to be offering Carluccios pastries and pies on weekdays but I have never ever seen these onboard. Not sure if I've just been unlucky or if others have had the same experience.
If you do go with TPEx, I would take food with you.

XC have improved their catering and now offer crisps, cake, sandwiches, hot bacon rolls etc even on weekends. Travelling between York, Newcastle and Edinburgh my preference would be LNER, XC then TPEx.

Having travelled weekday first a couple of years back on a Newcastle-Liverpool, I can confirm that I was served Carluccios pastries, as well as crisps!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

It depends what you're after. Speed-wise, then a direct TPE service. The first class seating on the TPEx IEPs is the same as on LNER's.

But the TPEx first class isn't anything to write home about: snacks and tea/coffee. That said, if your journey on LNER is under 70 minutes (and York-Newcastle is 60 minutes) then you only get snacks too*, though you might get a beer/wine as well as a tea/coffee depending on time of day.

If you want to mix it up a bit, then perhaps get the Scarborough train then change at York. Other option would be up the WCML, but 1st class on a 156 on the Tyne Valley is definitely non-existent.

I've not looked from Liverpool, but from Manchester Airport (MIA) it is sometimes possible to force journey planners to book MIA-Newcastle via the Hope Valley and Doncaster, even on advance tickets. I've gone that way before on Airport Advances from MIA to Newcastle. I'm not sure if it would work from Liverpool though.

(* Those are the rules. My experience is that northbound from York the catering crews stick to the rules, as the crews normally change at Newcastle they start to pack up after Doncaster. But southbound from Newcastle they generally just serve everyone the full menu, or at least the sandwiches, unless you get a particularly pedantic first class host).

TPEx were also meant to be offering Carluccios pastries and pies on weekdays but I have never ever seen these onboard.

Carluccio pastries, yes, and very nice they are too (though unsure if they still do them after Carluccio went into administration). Never seen a pie though.

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks for all your tips, the subsequent discussion is also interesting.

I hope to explore the Tyne and Wear metro system particularly the underground stations as there is only 4 cities in the UK with underground stations, London, Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow.

I also intend to ride on the Edinburgh trams.

bearhugger

Thanks for all your tips, the subsequent discussion is also interesting.

I hope to explore the Tyne and Wear metro system particularly the underground stations as there is only 4 cities in the UK with underground stations, London, Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow.

I also intend to ride on the Edinburgh trams.
Tynemouth station on the Tyne & Wear Metro is particularly worth a visit to have a wander round. I'm fairly sure there's a day ranger that allows you to travel on the Shields ferry between North & South Shields. You can can also use the bus on the North Shields side (number 303 I think) between the ferry landing and get dropped off near a couple of metro stations (I got dropped off near Tynemouth & the driver was really helpful at pointing me in the right direction and when to get off).

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Tynemouth station on the Tyne & Wear Metro is particularly worth a visit to have a wander round. I'm fairly sure there's a day ranger that allows you to travel on the Shields ferry between North & South Shields. You can can also use the bus on the North Shields side (number 303 I think) between the ferry landing and get dropped off near a couple of metro stations (I got dropped off near Tynemouth & the driver was really helpful at pointing me in the right direction and when to get off).

A Metro all-zones ticket is valid on the Ferry along with a Tyne & Wear Day Rover.

The bus that takes you from the terminal into Tynemouth and North Shields is the 333 during Mon-Sat daytimes. It's the 19 (towards North Shields and Cobalt) at other times.

bearhugger

A Metro all-zones ticket is valid on the Ferry along with a Tyne & Wear Day Rover.

The bus that takes you from the terminal into Tynemouth and North Shields is the 333 during Mon-Sat daytimes. It's the 19 (towards North Shields and Cobalt) at other times.
Thanks @rg177 for the clarification :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm a bit late to the party with this, but a couple of years ago this was the morning offer on TPE (South) 1st Class from Stockport to Doncaster, two rounds of tea/coffee also offered for a journey of a little over an hour.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    664.7 KB · Views: 26

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm a bit late to the party with this, but a couple of years ago this was the morning offer on TPE (South) 1st Class from Stockport to Doncaster, two rounds of tea/coffee also offered for a journey of a little over an hour.

Thanks for the memories of the old 185 interior! I have to say the new First looks pretty nice especially on the 802s which the OP will likely travel on.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

The ferry is brilliant and that's from somebody who doesn't particularly like boats. You will have a great view of the Rotterdam ferry if it's in dock (very likely during the day as it's an overnight crossing) and there is a free bus (included on the A-C ticket) which takes you up the tiring hill into North Shields.

Vespa

Established Member
Good tips, the first class meal is better than nothing I guess, if and when it gets reinstated.
A first class lounge would be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.