• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Living outside the 60 Minute required area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
There were other recent threads on this subject. But you would generally be expected to provide proof of address before being offered the job.

If found out it would be likely to result in dismissal. Its not worth it.
Agree - lying in any job application is a very bad idea. Sooner or later you would be found out, and in serious trouble.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AgentGemini

TOCs can be very very strange creatures on this score.

I totally am for the 60min arrangement - it's fatigue management. Some depots have a 3am start. So you'd have to be waking up at 130am to get dressed etc and then do an hour's commute to be booking on. And then prior to that, you'd be finishing a late Saturday night and then driving an hour home...doesn't leave you much time. Especially when some of the more inconsiderate TOCs like to create crash points like a 1am Sunday morning finish, 4am Monday morning start.

However in recruitment it is a strange one. One particular TOC I applied for twice had differing outcomes. Position 1) was two and a half hours away. I wrote I was willing to relocate (and planned to do so. I had little impedement apart from packing my things and hiring a van once a property had been found) and the TOC decided they wanted to take me forward after testing to final manager interview. Position 2)however was only 50mins drive away (again I mentioned willing to relocate and could do so at a button push) and yet I was declined.

Also - do not lie in applications over things such as address. If you're willing to relocate, or are preparing (or are lucky to own!) a room nearer by where you can short stay, mention this. With most TOCs the truth will set you free.

Jz2307

So I was rejected even though I showed routes and screen shots of 43 to 60 minutes. However passed out drivers can live further than the hour?

surely safety and fatigue should be across the board and not just for the new starters.

4F89

As a qualified driver, you know what is involved and have to self manage. As a new starter, you don't know a thing, and will be more likely to overstate your abilities to cope. Just the way it is, has been for years, and will continue to be so for years. Dont like it? Move before application.

vikingdriver

So I was rejected even though I showed routes and screen shots of 43 to 60 minutes. However passed out drivers can live further than the hour?

surely safety and fatigue should be across the board and not just for the new starters.
It is. I had a commute that could be anything from 58 minutes to an hour and a half (usual was about 1hr 5 minutes) over a bank holiday weekend and was subject to additional monitoring (at least according to management) because I was breaking the fatigue index. Whether it happened or not I'm not sure.

The reality on the ground was that I was permanently exhausted. My family life suffered. My health suffered. What little social life you can have as a driver suffered. It wasn't unusual anymore to have a nap in a layby for my own safety.

Now I live 10 minutes from my depot and it's been life changing. Never again will I get in a situation that has such a long commute around such horrific working hours - traincrew rosters aren't shift work, they are a constantly changing assault on your body clock. It may look doable on paper, and that's what sold me the idea in the first place, and I know everyone is different but it near killed me.

DunfordBridge

I was successful at sift for C2C East Ham EMT Nottingham Greater Anglia Cambridge and Thameslink London all while living near Portsmouth
C2C didn't accept my WAF score and EMT was depot driving so in the end I opted to stay in a mainline talent pool with so many options. Ended up waiting in two pools.
Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.