• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Living 'underneath the arches'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member

TheNewNo2

It's not residential, but there's a threatre in London which is in the arches under the Blackfriars to Elephant & Castle route near Palestra. It's quite a fun place - approximately 50 seats.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There are a few people living under the arches on the approaches to salford central, and castlefield viaduct (metrolink) tho It isnt a *ahem* residential conversion!

dave12435

It would appear the Kent House example is a former station masters house or signallers house or similar

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
R71EaKOl.jpg

Subway City was beneath the platforms at Snow Hill for years. It's under new management now. (gallery)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
lots of people seem to live under railway bridges in central London. Not sure they are in a position to pay much rent mind.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
When the London to Greenwich line was first built, it was hoped that the arches of the long viaduct would be used for residential purposes. That was 180 years or so back, and the idea has never caught on, even with the constant need in London for more housing.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The Labour Club in Whitstable used to be under a railway arch. The telly would go fuzzy every time a train went over and also your game of pool could drastically alter after the table got a shaking from passing trains. Some people may have stopped there overnight but after an evening there you could understand why arches with trains running overhead would not be suitable for residential purposes. I think it's a restaurant these days.

Springs Branch

Established Member
On a slight tangent to the OP, more a question about living over the railway .....

Passing through Wembley Central on the WCML, there is a 1960s-era block of flats which looks like it is built directly above the station.
Is this residential, or some kind of office block?
And is it built directly above the railway lines or am I mistaken?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Is 'My Little Tea Shop' still open in its little arch on Tooley St under London Bridge? Or have the works finished it off?

RJ

Established Member
It's not residential, but there's a threatre in London which is in the arches under the Blackfriars to Elephant & Castle route near Palestra. It's quite a fun place - approximately 50 seats.

There's also the Southwark Arches Nandos nestled between Palestra and the railway viaduct, with much of the seating within the arch. I was a regular when I worked there, can't say I ever heard or felt the trains passing above!

Emblematic

Is 'My Little Tea Shop' still open in its little arch on Tooley St under London Bridge? Or have the works finished it off?

It was there recently, it's further up Duke St Hill (past Tooley St) than the main building works so should escape. I'll be going past today so will check.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep, still there, well away from the action under the station itself.

LWB

Of course Time Team went looking for (and found) this one at Blaenavon but as the top of it is now 15m underground the houses will probably be a tad damp and dark,

untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.