• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LLandudno - Porthmadog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
Is it possible to book a through single ticket from Llandudno to Porthmadog (or preferably Cricceith as that's were I'm travelling on to) via the Ffestiniog?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I tried to do it the other way, from Fairbourne up to the North Wales Coast via the Ffestiniog, but the guard said they didn't do through tickets.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I believe you could do it on an ALR, but I don't think there is a specific through fare. You may be able to get a 'Ffestiniog Round Robin' ticket from Llandudno Junction, which would apparently allow a single journey on the Ffestiniog railway.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
You could do it last August from Llandudno to Porthmadog (FR) but not sure if you could go any further.

Established Member
I believe you could do it on an ALR, but I don't think there is a specific through fare. You may be able to get a 'Ffestiniog Round Robin' ticket from Llandudno Junction, which would apparently allow a single journey on the Ffestiniog railway.

The Ffestiniog Round Robin is a great ticket if you do the full circle, I did one last week and loved it :)

Smethwickian

You could do it last August from Llandudno to Porthmadog (FR) but not sure if you could go any further.

I tend to agree. As far as I can ascertain, you can book through fares to or from the FR (to Minffordd/Porthmadog FR southbound or Blaenau F FR northbound) but not via the line between National Rail stations.

LLANDUDNO (2484) to MINFF/PTHMDG FR (H074) anytime day single £19.70, anytime day return £24.40.

Porthmadog to Criccieth is £2.40 anytime day single, £2.50 anytime day return.

Day rovers for N Wales do not include free FR travel (only the all-zones £25 giving a 50 per cent discount) and the Round Robin (£29) would be too expensive just for this part of the circuit.

I agree with 317666, though, that for the full circuit the Round Robin is quite good value. One thing that puzzled me whe I travelled on one, though, was that the outward half wasn't collected/clipped/stamped on the FR, as it's only supposed to be for a single journey. Unmarked, there'd be no way of knowing if anyone used it to return, as the way the origin and destination are presented, the person could claim to be doing the circuit the other way round. I must stress that I did not misuse it, and would in no way condone ripping off a heritage line, but the FR ought to consider the possibility.

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
I was able to book from Llandudno to Porthmadog at Llandudno booking offcie (£19.70 as advised above).
The guard on the train was recommending and selling through tickets to passengers travelling on the Ffestiniog.

Status
Not open for further replies.