• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM Off-Peak Return to London validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

The restriction code for the £28 London Midland Only Off-peak return from Kings Norton to London Euston is SK, which for the outward journey reads:

“Valid on any service scheduled to arrive at London Euston at or after 10:00.
All other journeys are only valid on services departing on or after 08:45.
Break of journey is not permitted on the outward portion except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities.”

The 10:00 Euston restriction means that the first train from Birmingham New St that can be caught is the 7:54 which arrives at Euston at 10:18. However
doesn’t the second restriction mean that I cannot catch a connecting train from Kings Norton as there is no through London Midland service to Euston from there? And also doesn’t the third restriction mean that I cannot start the journey at New St on the 7:54, even if I pay separately for a single from Kings Norton to New St?

As it happens, the LM website does allow you to use the ticket on trains from Kings Norton before 8:45.

Why is my interpretation of the restriction different to London Midland’s website?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Why is my interpretation of the restriction different to London Midland’s website?
Because you have a different interpretation of the meaning of the phrase break of journey. This is defined in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage as
  • you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than to:
    (i) join a train at another station, or
    (ii) stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or
    (iii) follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s staff.
To break a journey, you must leave a station. A change of train within the same station is not a break of journey. Thus travel on Kings Norton - Birmingham - Euston trains do not involve a break of journey.

In addition, LM appear to define a service as a journey opportunity, not an individual train. Thus, the 0727 Kings Norton - 0742 Birmingham New St 0754 - London Euston 1018 is a service, and is available by £28 Off-Peak Return route London Midland Trains Only from their web site.

crosscity

In addition, LM appear to define a service as a journey opportunity, not an individual train. Thus, the 0727 Kings Norton - 0742 Birmingham New St 0754 - London Euston 1018 is a service, and is available by £28 Off-Peak Return route London Midland Trains Only from their web site.

If this is the case, under what conditions would the 8:45 restriction kick in?

John @ home

Established Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.