• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM Super-OffPeak travelling 10/06/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

Hi today I went to Bedford station to purchase two advanced singles for this Friday. One single Milton Keynes to Nuneaton and second Nuneaton to Milton Keynes.

I was told these tickets totalling £12 where sold out and offered a off peak return to then be told there was a Super Off Peak Return return for £16.00 I asked what restrictions where on it and was told no travel before 0930.

I have later this evening found I have many restrictions which have confused me.

Can someone tell me.

From MILTON KEYNES what is the first service I can get to NUNEATON?

And I need to be back in MILTON KEYNES for 1630 for my bus back to Bedford what is latest train I can get?

Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
The restrictions that should apply are those that you are told at the time of purchase. Some people may argue otherwise, but my view is that the principles in consumer law that the customer should know what they are getting when they purchase something should apply. Was it made very clear to you that the restrictions that apply to the ticket were after 0930 only? If it was, then your ticket should either be honoured at the terms you were told when you bought it or you should receive a full refund.

higthomas

The restrictions that should apply are those that you are told at the time of purchase. Some people may argue otherwise, but my view is that the principles in consumer law that the customer should know what they are getting when they purchase something should apply. Was it made very clear to you that the restrictions that apply to the ticket were after 0930 only? If it was, then your ticket should either be honoured at the terms you were told when you bought it or you should receive a full refund.

Ah, but how does one go about getting a ticket honoured as such? As we have seen before, your word against mine often doesn't work very well.

A refund might be easier, especially if you can find the same person, and they're reasonable.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I agree there is likely to be a problem here. I would probably start by speaking to customer relations of the operators of Bedford ticket office. Presumably Thameslink?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree there is likely to be a problem here. I would probably start by speaking to customer relations of the operators of Bedford ticket office. Presumably Thameslink?

GTR operate Bedford station. Good luck with getting a positive response from them...

Starmill

Veteran Member
If the OP cannot travel in accordance with the restrictions, requesting a refund may be their only option.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Assuming the Advances genuinely were not available, would an excess to an Off Peak not be a suitable solution? This can be done at the ticket office at MKC on the day if desired.

This is £18.20 (so £2.20 extra) and has restrictions as follows:-

OUTWARD TRAVEL

Not valid on trains timed to
arrive at London Euston after
04:29 and before 10:00

Not valid on any other
journeys timed to depart after
04:29 and before 08:45

Break of journey is not
permitted on the outward
portion except to change
trains at an intermediate
station or to access station
facilities.

RETURN TRAVEL

Not valid on trains timed to
depart London Euston before
08:45.

Normal break of journey rules
apply to the return portion

which means the OP's journey would be possible.

For the sake of £2.20 this is what I would do.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think Neil has the best solution.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank you for your responses and I will try the excess when I get to MKC

You can also do this in advance at any other station ticket office if you prefer, though it will not be a problem to do it at MKC other than the risk of a queue. Ensure they do not try to charge you the £10 admin fee, as it is not due in this case.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The excess is the same price if purchased on board.

It's a pity the OP is getting the bus from Bedford to Milton Keynes rather than the train as I'm sure the guard on the Bedford - Bletchley train would be able to do the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.