• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Aberdeen/Inverness route knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
When LNER have to travel between Aberdeen and Inverness - like today for example - are they route conducted, or do they sign the route? If the latter, how do they stay current?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
As an aside, I presume this move is to release a unit 'trapped' at Aberdeen due to current circumstances?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
When LNER have to travel between Aberdeen and Inverness - like today for example - are they route conducted, or do they sign the route? If the latter, how do they stay current?

As the overnight lodge for the driver at Inverness is insufficient between booking off and on again the driver of the evening Inverness arrival works next days 14.52 Aberdeen to Edinburgh and the driver arriving at Aberdeen off the 07.10 ex Leeds travels across to Inverness to work the following morning Inverness departure.

This applies all days except Saturday nights into a Sundays so LNER drivers to travel between Aberdeen and Inverness but I’m not sure if this opportunity is used to keep up route knowledge or not.

Crossover

Established Member
As the overnight lodge for the driver at Inverness is insufficient between booking off and on again the driver of the evening Inverness arrival works next days 14.52 Aberdeen to Edinburgh and the driver arriving at Aberdeen off the 07.10 ex Leeds travels across to Inverness to work the following morning Inverness departure.

This applies all days except Saturday nights into a Sundays so LNER drivers to travel between Aberdeen and Inverness but I’m not sure if this opportunity is used to keep up route knowledge or not.

Interesting to know. However the OP is asking specifically about workings via Dyce (which aren’t normal territory for LNER)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I believe LNER crew are route conducted - I believe the only passenger crew other than Scotrail Aberdeen and Inverness to sign the route are connected with the sleeper

Crossover

Established Member
Which is what was being referred to in the post you quoted.

It doesn’t read so and doesn’t answer the question - just seems to mention about the crew turns for the scheduled services, unless I need to read into part of the post more deeply

Established Member
It doesn’t read so and doesn’t answer the question - just seems to mention about the crew turns for the scheduled services, unless I need to read into part of the post more deeply
It clearly says that the crew PASS from Inverness to Aberdeen and vice versa via Dyce. So that would allow an opportunity to learn and retain route knowledge. Whether that opportunity is used is another matter.

Crossover

Established Member
It clearly says that the crew PASS from Inverness to Aberdeen and vice versa via Dyce. So that would allow an opportunity to learn and retain route knowledge. Whether that opportunity is used is another matter.

Sorry but having re-read the post again it doesn't mention travelling pass at all, though it may be inferred - for all intents and purposes it could be a taxi journey!

InOban

Established Member
How do you conduct at present since I thought that 2 in the cab was not allowed?

Veteran Member
Sorry but having re-read the post again it doesn't mention travelling pass at all, though it may be inferred - for all intents and purposes it could be a taxi journey!
I know privatisation produces strange results, but a return taxi trip from Inverness to Aberdeen and back, paralleling a reasonably frequent rail service, would be at the extreme end :)

Crossover

Established Member
I know privatisation produces strange results, but a return taxi trip from Inverness to Aberdeen and back, paralleling a reasonably frequent rail service, would be at the extreme end :)
Never say never with this railway :p

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

The driver does indeed travel pass by Scotrail as 221129 has pointed out, I hadn’t expected that needed to be spelt out - why would crew travel by taxi between two locations during the middle of the day when there is a train service, the railway industry does try and avoid long distance taxis where possible and suitable trains are available regardless of operator.

What I’m not sure is whether the driver is booked to route refresh or simply pass.

Crossover

Established Member
I have been advised by a reputable source that these moves are route conducted between Aberdeen and Inverness by ScotRail - the LNER drivers travel pass only for travel purposes

bunnahabhain

Established Member
At our TOC you don't officially maintain competence during a PASS part of a diagram as either Guard or Driver, but you maintain your own competency so its up to you to say whether you need a road refresh or not. But in "the system" you aren't counted as having worked over a route if you are PASS.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
At our TOC you don't officially maintain competence during a PASS part of a diagram as either Guard or Driver, but you maintain your own competency so its up to you to say whether you need a road refresh or not. But in "the system" you aren't counted as having worked over a route if you are PASS.
It could however be shown on the diagram as ‘Route refresh in cab’ as opposed to ‘pass’ but in the case on this particular route it’s just pass

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It could however be shown on the diagram as ‘Route refresh in cab’ as opposed to ‘pass’ but in the case on this particular route it’s just pass
We have separate linked route refresh days for drivers and by application route refresh release for guards. There's only one depot at my TOC I know which has a specific route refresh turn and thats due to the drivers only working over the route once every 12 weeks.

Tom

With the benefit of the doubt, I'm wondering if you are referring to the "Know Your Train" feature of RTT. However, it isn't applicable to empty moves
Not for LNER, no, but for all other supporting TOCs it does show empty stock moves - and this will probably be changed for LNER in the next month or two. Nevertheless, 5Z13 on 20th was operated by 800113. 5Z05 on 17th was operated by 800105 according to the systems.

The headcode does in this instance give a clue to the I.D of the unit - the VSTP used that headcode for that very reason.... same applied to the previous 5Z05 move.

Status
Not open for further replies.