• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801) Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Maybe rather ill-advised if so. This journey seems to be one of the poorest for arriving on time at the moment, presumably this is due to particular issues along the route rather than lack of speed on the existing class 91.

Having used it many times including the launch service - the railway is just too busy. It normally catches something up South of Doncaster and has to wait for it to get out the way. As you say the Azuma won't make it any more punctual

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crisps

LNER’s booking engine is showing the following Monday-Friday Anglo-Scottish services as Azuma:

From 16 Sept:
1S05 07.00 Kings Cross-Edinburgh
1E14 12.00 Edinburgh-Kings Cross

From 23 Sept:
1E06 06.48 Glasgow Central-Kings Cross (08.00 from Edinburgh)
1E10 10.00 Edinburgh-Kings Cross
1S23 15.30 Kings Cross-Glasgow Central

LNER have not yet updated the pages on their website showing the Azuma timetable, but they are showing in the booking engine.

LNER’s website is also saying Morpeth will be served from 28 Sept, but as it’s a Saturday you are currently unable to book so you can’t see which service it is.

Crisps

Odd that there isn't anything to balance 1E10
I thought that too. 1E10 works into 1S23 (15.30 Kings Cross-Glasgow) but it’s not showing as Azuma on LNER’s booking engine. However, I’ve just tried to make a dummy booking for 1S23, and neither advance fares nor reserved seats (even with an open return!) are available.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think the 1000 Edinburgh- London uses the stock from the 0615 Doncaster - Edinburgh. I suspect if that is the case the 1200 Edinburgh - London will do a run to Leeds to Balance. Will still be a few missing as the 0650 Glasgow to London will do another return. Maybe the 1330? The database certainly isn’t fully up to date yet.

I noticed most London - Newark (terminating services) are missing as well.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
I think the 1000 Edinburgh- London uses the stock from the 0615 Doncaster - Edinburgh. I suspect if that is the case the 1200 Edinburgh - London will do a run to Leeds to Balance. Will still be a few missing as the 0650 Glasgow to London will do another return. Maybe the 1330? The database certainly isn’t fully up to date yet.

I noticed most London - Newark (terminating services) are missing as well.
Have they been replaced by services to Lincoln?

03_179

Established Member
I'm heading up the ECML to York on Thursday (08/08) returning the next day.

What are the 800/802s running on (looking to avoid them initially) as I'd prefer the 91 haulage

59CosG95

Established Member
I'm heading up the ECML to York on Thursday (08/08) returning the next day.

What are the 800/802s running on (looking to avoid them initially) as I'd prefer the 91 haulage
So far, they're only on the York Stopper diagram (or at least one of them), and the 17:30 London - Edinburgh service. Everything else should be an HST or 91.

spinba11

I’m confused,anyone know why I can’t book advance tickets on the 11:56 departure from Newark to kings Cross on the 28th of August, that’s my go to Azuma. I’ve looked at the 29th and it’s the same so I’m thinking it’s unlikely to be sold out.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I’m confused,anyone know why I can’t book advance tickets on the 11:56 departure from Newark to kings Cross on the 28th of August, that’s my go to Azuma. I’ve looked at the 29th and it’s the same so I’m thinking it’s unlikely to be sold out.

Suspect they are updating the database. I think a call may be worthwhile but not sure if they will just say computer says no and push you towards the 1217

Looking at booking into September and most of the ones starting / terminating at Newark have no quota showing.

The Nomad

Hey all,

I'm a bit lost at the state of play with Azumas doing what. As of this Monday will there be two Azumas on the York fork - the Flying Scotland and the York stopper?

As for Leeds, roughly what % of the daily services are now Azumas? I see pairs of 5 cars - 800/1s?? - doing the training run slot at 17.45. Any idea when these (if not already) will be introduced? I heard these needed to be used to allow the York services.

And currently there are no all electric 801s in service, training or testing?

Thanks!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As of this Monday will there be two Azumas on the York fork - the Flying Scotland and the York stopper?

I believe it's just one. The diagram is Edinburgh - London - York - London - Edinburgh.

And currently there are no all electric 801s in service, training or testing

They're definetly in testing I saw one parked on the mainline at Darlington! I believe they're due for introduction in the nearish future.

Crisps

Hey all,

I'm a bit lost at the state of play with Azumas doing what. As of this Monday will there be two Azumas on the York fork - the Flying Scotland and the York stopper?

As for Leeds, roughly what % of the daily services are now Azumas? I see pairs of 5 cars - 800/1s?? - doing the training run slot at 17.45. Any idea when these (if not already) will be introduced? I heard these needed to be used to allow the York services.

And currently there are no all electric 801s in service, training or testing?

Thanks!
As reported in the main LNER Azuma thread, it’s been reported in RAIL that the next glutch of Azuma conversion starts on September 16, when electric 801s (operating as coupled 2x5 sets) start operating on the Leeds route, allowing 800s currently operating the Leeds route to switch to the Anglo-Scottish route. It’ll be only one or two diagrams per week switching over.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/n...ch-for-class-801-azumas-on-london-leeds-route

The Nomad

As reported in the main LNER Azuma thread, it’s been reported in RAIL that the next glutch of Azuma conversion starts on September 16, when electric 801s (operating as coupled 2x5 sets) start operating on the Leeds route, allowing 800s currently operating the Leeds route to switch to the Anglo-Scottish route. It’ll be only one or two diagrams per week switching over.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/n...ch-for-class-801-azumas-on-london-leeds-route

Thanks. That Rail article is very informative. Looks like mid-September will be a big step-up in Azuma action.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I see on the LNER booking engine it now tells you which are going to be 9 car and 10 car Azuma's including the 1006 London - Newark Northgate (5 would be more than enough for this service)

I wonder on the joined service if they will double up the catering crews or if you are at the wrong end you will be going hungry (as is common with other operators)

The dates I attempted to book in October to Lincoln still has the trains missing (ie the 1006 isn't in the data base at all - not even London - Newark)

FGW_DID

Established Member
I wonder on the joined service if they will double up the catering crews or if you are at the wrong end you will be going hungry (as is common with other operators)

And what other operators would that be? “As is common” - don’t believe everything you read on this forum!

Crisps

LNER's Azuma timetable pages have been updated up to 23rd September. I haven't got time now to detail specific services here, but it confirms the extra Anglo-Scorttish services I found in the booking engine last week, and a couple of weekend Newcastle terminators are switching over. Services completely change over the bank holiday weekend when the line is closed south of Peterborough, on that weekend there is a Peterborough-Harrogate Azuma on 24th August.
I didn't see any Lincoln services.

https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-experience/azuma-trains/azuma-schedule/#Tab_13895

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I take it the fact that some of the Leeds trains are introduced twice is to signify pairs of 5-cars in September rather than 9-cars.

Glenn1969

Established Member
I'm on the Highland Chieftain York- Inverness on 7th Sept and back on 12th Sept and doing Far North, Kyle and Aberdeen lines while in Scotland

When is this service due to go Azuma?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When is this service due to go Azuma?

I don't believe a date has been announced for the service to go over. However from what has been announced it certainly won't have gone over during the period of your journey.

Armchair viewing courtesy of Traksy.
On 9th Aug and showing again for today 14th Aug
1E01 (05:40) EDB - KGX formed 1D11 (11:03) KGX - LDS
1A12 (07:00) HULL - KGX formed 1N83 (11:06) KGX - YRK

Thus the EDB (Craigentinny) Starter does not end up at Craigentinny.

HTH

Crisps

Armchair viewing courtesy of Traksy.
On 9th Aug and showing again for today 14th Aug
1E01 (05:40) EDB - KGX formed 1D11 (11:03) KGX - LDS
1A12 (07:00) HULL - KGX formed 1N83 (11:06) KGX - YRK

Thus the EDB (Craigentinny) Starter does not end up at Craigentinny.

HTH

It does. It forms the 17.30 KGX-Edinburgh to get back north.

It does. It forms the 17.30 KGX-Edinburgh to get back north.
My apologies.
However it seems somewhat strange to have a unit that starts and finishes at EC everyday SX.
So if there are no service interruptions this diagram would have the same unit every day Monday to Friday?
Does anyone have the full current SX diagrams for the LNER 800s please, by my reckoning there should be only seven.

Crisps

Status
Not open for further replies.