• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
The law in this country dosent accept that everyone can read. Nanny state.
K
I would argue that the “nanny state” does indeed accept that not everyone can read, because it’s a truth - not everyone can read English.
Also, it has apparently actually been demonstrated the the azumas do interfere with signalling systems whereas the existing trains don't - whatever the actual reason, the azumas are not compatible with the infrastructure, but older train are.
A point worth mentioning that. It’s also worth noting that the majority of electrification on the GWML is new, with newer signalling systems using axle counters (which are less prone to interference, on the whole - the faulty one at Moreton this time last year is an exception!), while the ECML is still mainly using track circuits tuned to an AC frequency out of the range of the 90s, 91s etc. using the route daily. Said circuits may not be tuned out of the range of the Azumas and their ilk.

spinba11

I was a Newark Northgate on Friday and saw a 800 with no cables attached on the upper rows, they were still there on the bottom row. It was the same all along the train.

Established Member
I was a Newark Northgate on Friday and saw a 800 with no cables attached on the upper rows, they were still there on the bottom row. It was the same all along the train.
Some carriages have 2, some 3 and some 4.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I would argue that the “nanny state” does indeed accept that not everyone can read, because it’s a truth - not everyone can read English.
You left out the blind, partially or impaired sighted, they outnumber non-English speakers 20/1.

What seems to have happened is that the DfT has turned round to Hitachi and said 'we are not paying Network Rail to make the rail network compatible with your trains given that your competitors products don't cause these issues'.

Obviously this is at odds with what Network Rail are doing on the northern ECML, but I get the impression that the EMC problems aren't limited to the the northern ECML. It's just that the northern ECML EMC issues are much greater than anywhere else. That's my take on it anyway.
Another test run in the system for Wednesday, reputedly running on electric. From Doncaster to Inverness. If it takes in the New electrified area could run on old ECML, newish lines to Newbridge on the Bathgate line, then the new lines to Dunblane recently switched on..
So guess we shall see and hear of results at some point.

On Moderation
Another test run in the system for Wednesday, reputedly running on electric. From Doncaster to Inverness. If it takes in the New electrified area could run on old ECML, newish lines to Newbridge on the Bathgate line, then the new lines to Dunblane recently switched on..
So guess we shall see and hear of results at some point.
I’ll be impressed if it gets to Inverness on electric...

td97

Established Member
Another test run in the system for Wednesday, reputedly running on electric.
When was the last time they utilised OLE north of Doncaster (or is it York?)? I personally have never seen one running on the north ECML on electric.

This is the path for anyone interested: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97545/2018/12/05/advanced

An eventual 433:146 miles (basically 3:1) of electric:diesel running for London-Inverness is a remarkable improvement on the current 0:545 ratio.

Last edited:

Roger100

When was the last time they utilised OLE north of Doncaster (or is it York?)? I personally have never seen one running on the north ECML on electric.

The last one I photographed running up here on electric was 801101 on 19th March 2018. Mind you I haven't really taken much notice since then, although all the 800 and 802 units I've photographed locally were running on diesel. This unit was running north near Bradbury, about half way between Darlington and Durham.

801101.jpg

On Moderation

This is the path for anyone interested: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97545/2018/12/05/advanced

An eventual 433:146 miles (basically 3:1) of electric:diesel running for London-Inverness is a remarkable improvement on the current 0:545 ratio.
Left Doncaster with pans down and diesel engines running (let’s call them what they are - not this “GU” nonsense).

Left Doncaster with pans down and diesel engines running (let’s call them what they are - not this “GU” nonsense).

Arrived Edinburgh 5E at 1335, with both pantographs raised. Departed 2E after changing to diesel. 801202 leading 801201.

On Moderation
Arrived Edinburgh 5E at 1335, with both pantographs raised. Departed 2E after changing to diesel. 801202 leading 801201.
Must have been Berwick or somewhere they put the pans up - passed Newcastle on diesel. Units are 800202/201 I suspect...

FQTV

Pans were down and running on diesel through Durham at 10:45.

Status
Not open for further replies.