• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

capital12

For anyone out and about on the Ecml during the week, 800103 is often out on test trains, this has the full new lner spec seats fitted, ie Red in standard and Ox Blood in 1st class

Not seen any pictures published other than one that the marketing manager tweeted.

I have seen the seats in the factory at Aycliffe, and they feel different to the grey seats. Unable to sit on them, so can't compare the firmness.

If they have more padding then that’ll be a good thing - at the moment the ScotRail 385s seem more comfortable than any of the 800s (where personally I find the first class seats more uncomfortable than standard!).

The ox blood looks revolting though, I thought we were nearly in 2020 but that colour looks straight out of the 1970s!

I never thought I’d say this, but the chavvy boy racer seats in the HST/Mk4 first class look better!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Hello there. I've seen comments about potential 140mph running but does anyone know when the Azumas will be allowed to reach that speed?
I think LNER's official position on this is currently "not planned". Bear in mind 140mph running was intended even when the 91s were first introduced 30 years ago. It never happened for the reasons jimm listed. The only mention that I recall of 140mph running for the Azuma fleet was Branson's PR exercise in 2016. Apart from that nobody seemed to say a word, which should be all you need to know. The only way I see the ECML being upgraded to 140 (I believe the AT300 design is actually 240km/h capable by the way, which is almost 150) is if the upper half or all of HS2 is cancelled.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hello there. I've seen comments about potential 140mph running but does anyone know when the Azumas will be allowed to reach that speed?

I guess the 140mph in the spec will be tested at some point, probably on the ECML under special conditions as was done for IC225.
But there is no prospect of service running over 125mph at the moment.
It needs cab signalling (ETCS) which is not installed on the trains or the track, and the ECML will require OHLE upgrades to allow it.
Once the ECML is ETCS-fitted south of Peterborough, which is being planned now, it might be reconsidered for some of that section.
The wider high speed option is now HS2, where ETCS will be fitted on track and trains from the start.
Whether the 80x or other ETCS-fitted classic trains will ever run on HS2 at 140mph is another question - probably not.

themiller

I believe that there was some talk about the speed on the section north of York as far as Darlington being lifted to 140MPH in connection with Transpennine Express to enable more trains to be fed through the section. It would need ETCS and fencing to allow this though.

tomglazed

You seem to be bit behind when it comes to GWR seat covers. All the Class 802s are being delivered by Hitachi with the moquette seat covers fitted and a start has also been made on providing them in 800s.
Apologies, I didn’t know there was a technical definition of what is classed as moquette. When I was referring to moquette I was referring to a seat covering with some amount of pile as opposed to other material which are pretty much flat. I have tried the GWR 802 seats and they’re bareable for me for an hour or two before substantial shuffling kicks in. It appears at least the LNER ones have some sort of pile no matter how minimal it maybe.

jimm

Established Member
The GWR moquette does have 'some amount of pile', as opposed to the flat cloth of the initial covers fitted to the 800s. I doubt that the LNER moquette will be that different in feel to the GWR type, frankly. There's only so much that can be done.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah I'm expecting the LNER unit seats to feel identical to those on the GWR 802s. I haven't yet tried them so the jury is still out - I don't mind somewhat firm and upright seats but didn't get on with the 800/0 seats, so I'm keen to see whether I can feel much of an improvement.
We're heading in the seat direction again!

I believe that there was some talk about the speed on the section north of York as far as Darlington being lifted to 140MPH in connection with Transpennine Express to enable more trains to be fed through the section. It would need ETCS and fencing to allow this though.
That's a possibility and I do think there is some merit in doing that but there will also be 125mph Grand Central 180s to consider, though admittedly very infrequent. I am assuming the ECT units, when eventually ordered, will just be another subclass of 802s, so could presumably also be uprated to 140mph if required.

On Moderation
The GWR moquette does have 'some amount of pile', as opposed to the flat cloth of the initial covers fitted to the 800s. I doubt that the LNER moquette will be that different in feel to the GWR type, frankly. There's only so much that can be done.
GWR use cut pile moquette which is lower quality than loop pile moquette. The last (Virgin) refresh on the East Coast used loop pile - I would not be surprised if LNER used the higher quality.

Kyle Allsopp

London North Eastern Railway Class 800 on driver training runs
I noticed that 800107 had a full livery and red seats and 800112 was partly done and had black seats is there a reason for this?

Please have a look at the video!

Jonny

Established Member
Yeah I'm expecting the LNER unit seats to feel identical to those on the GWR 802s. I haven't yet tried them so the jury is still out - I don't mind somewhat firm and upright seats but didn't get on with the 800/0 seats, so I'm keen to see whether I can feel much of an improvement.
We're heading in the seat direction again!

That's a possibility and I do think there is some merit in doing that but there will also be 125mph Grand Central 180s to consider, though admittedly very infrequent. I am assuming the ECT units, when eventually ordered, will just be another subclass of 802s, so could presumably also be uprated to 140mph if required.

Also two CroosCountry 22x services per hour...

Established Member
London North Eastern Railway Class 800 on driver training runs
I noticed that 800107 had a full livery and red seats and 800112 was partly done and had black seats is there a reason for this?

Please have a look at the video!

800103 and 800107 have the red seats.

All the 800/1s were built with standard grey spec or no seat back fitted, as at the tine it hadn't been finalised what lner wanted.

train's now being assembled at Aycliffe, starting with 801104 have the red seats fitted.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I noticed its running in reverse formation - something that's increased since the GWR 80x trains entered service.

I'm sure LNER will make sure the Azumas face the right way as I bet they'll be complaints from passengers once / if they notice it often enough. The odd 1 reverse formation is fine (2 you can allow), unless there's an emergency where its a case of either very heavy delays or run it the wrong way round on time / less delayed.

Kyle Allsopp

800103 and 800107 have the red seats.

All the 800/1s were built with standard grey spec or no seat back fitted, as at the tine it hadn't been finalised what lner wanted.

train's now being assembled at Aycliffe, starting with 801104 have the red seats fitted.

Thank You!

FQTV

I noticed its running in reverse formation - something that's increased since the GWR 80x trains entered service.

I'm sure LNER will make sure the Azumas face the right way as I bet they'll be complaints from passengers once / if they notice it often enough. The odd 1 reverse formation is fine (2 you can allow), unless there's an emergency where its a case of either very heavy delays or run it the wrong way round on time / less delayed.

I can't imagine any reason why an IET, any more so than an HST or a 225 should end up the wrong way round. When it does happen now, LNER use Newcastle to switch it back round.

Likewise I can't see any reason why they wouldn't continue to do that in future.

TheBigD

Established Member
I doubt the 9 car sets and 5 car electric sets will be in reverse formation any more than now.

The 5 car bimode sets have the potential to be in reverse formation a fair bit though.

Hypothetical example - a set works Kings Cross to Lincoln, reverses and goes ECS direct to Doncaster instead of via Newark then the following day goes on to the Harrogate* diagram etc etc. Unless routed via Wakefield instead of the planned route via Garforth it would be in reverse formation.

* assuming the planned two hourly Kings Cross - Lincoln and Kings Cross - Harrogate services are introduced.

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
Are LNER still planning to go ahead with the proposed London Kings Cross to Huddersfield service that VTEC promised when the Class 800s were launched? Wouldn't these use the 5 car Class 800's as surely Huddersfield's platform 1 and 4 can't take anything longer than 8 coaches, especially given that the 800/801 coaches are longer than the average 185. TPE did however send two 5 car Class 802's on test recently down past Huddersfield but I don't think they stopped there.

Tim_UK

Are LNER still planning to go ahead with the proposed London Kings Cross to Huddersfield service that VTEC promised when the Class 800s were launched? Wouldn't these use the 5 car Class 800's as surely Huddersfield's platform 1 and 4 can't take anything longer than 8 coaches, especially given that the 800/801 coaches are longer than the average 185.

If the service comes in and leaves to the east (towards wakefield/Leeds) then the only real option is Huddersfield Platform 4. Platform 4 is pretty long.

To use platform 1 and 8 would require empty stock to come/leave via Manchester. Or a reversal at somewhere like Marsden. Or some shunting around Huddesfield.

td97

Established Member
Testing underway last week, this week and for next 2 weeks, involving 4 IEPs running in convoy testing signalling and other systems.
Today's test was 7
David Horne said:
Thank you to the team of people from Hitachi, Network Rail, GBRF, LNER, Volker Rail and others who have been working together overnight, simulating the future by testing seven Azuma trains in the same area at the same time to replicate full service conditions. Great teamwork!
https://twitter.com/DavidHorne/status/1090520336033042434

Class455

Established Member
If the service comes in and leaves to the east (towards wakefield/Leeds) then the only real option is Huddersfield Platform 4. Platform 4 is pretty long.

To use platform 1 and 8 would require empty stock to come/leave via Manchester. Or a reversal at somewhere like Marsden. Or some shunting around Huddesfield.
Platform 4 seems to be the most likely option, it would require services terminating there though to use Platforms 5 & 6 instead. Platforms 1 & 8 have a constant flow of TPE services passing through so there's no way they can use those platforms.

Some interesting pics courtesy of @GarethDennis retweeeted by LNER on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1093188896010186752

DyvJfEmX0AAwMzK.jpg

DyvJfenWkAE43Lw.jpg

DyvJf1tXcAYq5tG.jpg

DyvJgKYW0AM7xGc.jpg

DyvJ6AbWkAAQr9-.jpg

DyvKiDbWkAARYnO.jpg

DyvKidrXcAQcTiu.jpg

DyvKi08WkAAMO1k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.