• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Saw one pull in to Leeds this evening, most of the seat covers had been removed! Or not yet installed. I’m sure the ones that have been recently had dark grey seating installed...

They are test trains still. Grey seats are the dft spec and have not yet been changed over to the correct lner spec.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Back on topic, 800107 is out and about on the 5Q30/5Q31/5Q32/5Q33/5Q34 circuit today, with finished branding and passenger info stickers next to the bodyside dot matrix displays. I'm fairly sure the interior's finished too.

Worth also noting that coach 814107 in the set has Azuma branding on it (at least on one side); perhaps LNER are of the school of thought that 2 Azuma logos will be sufficient for a 5-car unit, and 3 for a 9-car unit. Why they picked the 814xxx coach rather than the 815xxx coach (the centre coach) remains a mystery.

_toommm_

Established Member
800107 in full LNER livery in York this afternoon on 5Q32 down to Peterborough - I'll let you guess which is which...Screenshot_20190220-183444_Gallery.jpg

Covshire1

Does anyone know the ID of the IEP which ran from Merchants Park to Eastleigh (via Doncaster & Acton) overnight?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Think this hasn't been posted before - RAIL says the 800/1 and 800/2s have now been granted ORR approval to operate in passenger service.

Passenger service introduction is said to be possible within the next few weeks! Anyone got any possible/likely diagrams?

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
But Hitachi have twelve months to design and implement a solution to vehicle interconnector issue. Otherwise authorisation will be cancelled.

samuelmorris

Established Member
But Hitachi have twelve months to design and implement a solution to vehicle interconnector issue. Otherwise authorisation will be cancelled.
That seems a pretty bold thing to go ahead with. It's one thing to need PRM derogations to run existing stock, but it's quite another to revoke permission to use new stock after the old sets were withdrawn and leave the service inoperable.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Think this hasn't been posted before - RAIL says the 800/1 and 800/2s have now been granted ORR approval to operate in passenger service.

Passenger service introduction is said to be possible within the next few weeks! Anyone got any possible/likely diagrams?

I think it was rumoured that the NL65 (ex EMT HST) diagram was the first to go over.
After that I'm guessing LNER will want to get rid of the 90s and release MK4s for TfW.
Next they'll want to focus on the HSTs as these are the least PRM compliant, from a quick glance at the diagrams, EC009 & EC010 look the most vunerable.
I imagine that LNER will chop and change the HST diagrams around, to give them more focus on the Aberdeen and Inverness services.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That seems a pretty bold thing to go ahead with. It's one thing to need PRM derogations to run existing stock, but it's quite another to revoke permission to use new stock after the old sets were withdrawn and leave the service inoperable.

They best sort it then.... :)

twpsaesneg

If there wasn't a deadline given to fixing the problem, it wouldn't get done. It seems a reasonably pragmatic approach to me.

TBSchenker

Pretty standard with the Aviation industry with FAA/EASA Airworthiness directives . Something that needs attention, but the perceived risk is minimal, airlines have a certain amount of time to rectify it, usually when each aircraft pass through for scheduled maintenance. Else entire fleets would be withdrawn for attention.

Same here, I'm guessing the risk has been assessed because they're identical to the GWR ones, and it seems idiotic to ban one fleet but have another in use. 12 months to fix the issue seems right, but maybe a fix has been designed already.

westv

Established Member
So we will finally get a seat selector map that works on the Hull Executive!

superkev

Established Member
Re the intercoach cables being a potential ladder to the roof it would be a brave person who withdrew authorisation 12 months after the trains entered service. If I were Hitachi id either sit on my hands of stick a warning notice.
K

Master29

Established Member
it's the one on the right, if the image is horiztonally flipped that is :lol:
Oh the pacer. You have to admit it does have a monopoly on jokes and for that it deserves credit....just so long as I don`t have to commute on one.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Re the intercoach cables being a potential ladder to the roof it would be a brave person who withdrew authorisation 12 months after the trains entered service. If I were Hitachi id either sit on my hands of stick a warning notice.
K
ORR would be well within their right to do that if they considered it that much of a safety issue. Curious that they've only seen fit to hit the LNER units with that deadline though. If they get a stay of execution applied retroactively, why not the GWR units too? I can only assume because of the higher risk from how bedded-in the IET fleet is down there now.

Established Member
ORR would be well within their right to do that if they considered it that much of a safety issue. Curious that they've only seen fit to hit the LNER units with that deadline though. If they get a stay of execution applied retroactively, why not the GWR units too? I can only assume because of the higher risk from how bedded-in the IET fleet is down there now.
Eh? The ORR won't withdraw the Azuma fleet.

trebor79

Established Member
K

And severely hamper any future bid for new rolling stock. I don't think that would be good good business sense.

gsnedders

Established Member
And severely hamper any future bid for new rolling stock. I don't think that would be good good business sense.
The ORR aren't concerned with business sense (they have nothing to do with rolling stock procurement).

The ORR aren't concerned with business sense (they have nothing to do with rolling stock procurement).

But Hitachi are, and if they sit on their hands and do nothing, the ORR (or whoever is responsible for approving purchases) might not give their approval to any other TOC wanting to buy Hitachi stock.

inais20

What does a TOC do with seat reservations made on an old layout (eg mk4 coaches) when a new train (eg Azuma) comes into service?

cactustwirly

Established Member
What does a TOC do with seat reservations made on an old layout (eg mk4 coaches) when a new train (eg Azuma) comes into service?

Move the reservations, or remove the reservations completely from that service

Status
Not open for further replies.