• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
I don't think they're allowed North of Leeds

Does this mean that the first service to switch to 800/801 operation will be the Newark stoppers and Leeds services?
Have they been tested north of Edinburgh to Inverness and Aberdeen yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does this mean that the first service to switch to 800/801 operation will be the Newark stoppers and Leeds services?

Plan has been, for quite a while now, that they'll first replace NL65 (the set with the original style seating) which usually does the LNER Hull services with a hop to Leeds and back in between. It is then expected that they'll start to replace a few 225 electric sets (due to them being needed on other operators) before later replacing the HSTs wholesale. But pretty much the only firm thing is the replacement of NL65 what happens after that is still pretty open to debate.

westv

Established Member
Will LNER return the "train that we have borrowed from East Midlands Trains" with the EMT branding or keep it for the time being?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Will LNER return the "train that we have borrowed from East Midlands Trains" with the EMT branding or keep it for the time being?

Depends on what the lease agreement with Porterbrook is, it will be returned and probably be put into storage when the agreed lease expires.

westv

Established Member
Which set in EMT livery? LNER do not lease any sets in EMT livery.
Yes they do:-
"For your upcoming trip on 08/03/2019, unfortunately an LNER train isn’t available, so we will be using a train that we have borrowed from East Midlands Trains. This train will look slightly different from our normal services, with blue, red and yellow 'East Midlands Trains' branding, instead of our usual red and white. Unfortunately, this train does not have all the onboard facilities that LNER usually offer, with no WiFi."

This is not the same set as NL65 as the seat numbering is not the same. NL65 also has LNER branding.

DanNCL

Established Member
But the set in EMT livery might?
Which set in EMT livery? LNER do not lease any sets in EMT livery.
It can be a bit confusing so hopefully this'll clarify things: LNER have a set leased directly to them that was formerly used by EMT, and the powercars on that set are still in EMT livery (but the coaches are in LNER livery), that set is NL65 and it's not known what'll happen to that once LNER have finished with it - it may go back to EMT, or it may be stored. In addition, LNER hire in another EMT set to operate one return Leeds to London service on Sunday evenings, that set changes on a weekly basis and as such LNER will simply stop hiring an additional HST from EMT when they no longer need it. The 11:03 from Kings Cross to Leeds and 13:45 return on a weekday is sometimes also a hired in set from EMT, that's hired in on the same basis as the one hired in each Sunday evening and will simply not be hired in when LNER no longer need it.

Yes they do:-
"For your upcoming trip on 08/03/2019, unfortunately an LNER train isn’t available, so we will be using a train that we have borrowed from East Midlands Trains. This train will look slightly different from our normal services, with blue, red and yellow 'East Midlands Trains' branding, instead of our usual red and white. Unfortunately, this train does not have all the onboard facilities that LNER usually offer, with no WiFi."

This is not the same set as NL65 as the seat numbering is not the same. NL65 also has LNER branding.
No they don't - they hire one in from time to time on an as and when required basis, but they don't lease any sets in EMT livery, only the two powercars on NL65 are in EMT livery but leased to LNER, everything else that LNER leases (with the exception of 43238, 91110, 91111 and 91111 which have special liveries) is in the standard LNER livery.

Class455

Established Member
NL65 won’t be going into store...
Speaking of NL65 I saw that set split up at Neville Hill today with the buffet car 41088 with an EMT liveried coach in a siding and coaches 41068 and 41112 being shunted out of Neville Hill on my way back

DanNCL

Established Member

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello. I know similar has been said but I'm confused as to which date the first LNER Azuma train will be in passenger service. I'm booked onto NL65 from Leeds (13:45) to Kings Cross on the 04/04/19 and just wondered if an Azuma takes over. I'd rather get use to the idea than find out a few days before if that makes sense.

It's different if another HST / even a 225 substitutes for NL65 on the day. I've never actually travelled in NL65 - NL101 last year from Kings Cross to Peterborough (11:05) on an NL65 working.

westv

Established Member
Speaking of NL65 I saw that set split up at Neville Hill today with the buffet car 41088 with an EMT liveried coach in a siding and coaches 41068 and 41112 being shunted out of Neville Hill on my way back
NL65 buffet is the one with "It's never dull in Hull" on it.

DanNCL

Established Member
I definitely saw its buffet car in the sidings at Neville Hill and the other two coaches mentioned being shunted around. Another HST may have worked this diagram?
At the very least the power cars from NL65 are on the service I quoted though I only know this as a friend was on it earlier, I guess it is possible that either the power cars are on a different set, or the buffet has been swapped for a different one?

FQTV

At the very least the power cars from NL65 are on the service I quoted though I only know this as a friend was on it earlier, I guess it is possible that either the power cars are on a different set, or the buffet has been swapped for a different one?

43308 Highland Chieftain has been on the North end of NL65 this week.

Less OT, the more that I see the LNER liveried 800s, the more I like the carriage side treatment. I think that it looks particularly good when you can get to see a full set from end to end.

I’m still not sold on the cab/nose treatment, though, and the ‘AZUMA’ decals add nothing to the party.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Nope that's an EMT buffet, that was initially lent to VTEC before they decided to refurbish an off lease buffet car instead.

Edit ignore that! Got confused!

Last edited:

SC43090

Let me clear up some of the posts above about NL65...

In the last week LNER as hired NL03 set as NL65 as been on maintance every so often under the contract LNER as with porterbrook NL65 goes for maintance when that happens EMT provide LNER with there spare set thats how you get a full livered EMT HST set.....

Also for the record 40805 is the buffet car in NL65 but some times is replaced by spare buffet car 40751 which also can be hired to EMT as they don't have any spare buffet cars....

On a Sunday LNER hire an Full EMT HST set in EMT livery which does a Leeds KX Leeds on Sunday evenings

Apologises to moderators all iv'e done is reply to all the discussions about NL65 in the hope its cleared up some of the confusion in the above posts

SC 43090

Last edited:

Established Member
Yes unfortunately. They lost 20 minutes on HST times to Aberdeen and even longer to Inverness but I don't know how much longer.

It has only been to Aberdeen on platform validation tastings which was not a "true' performance test, unless I've missed other moves up there

Sirgerbil

4 have been officially accepted, 5th to be accepted next week.

Won't take long for them to end up in passenger service as there's no storage space in reality. Two roads for them at Bounds green and the odd space at Ferme park, Rest will need to be up and down the road.

Established Member
4 have been officially accepted, 5th to be accepted next week.

Won't take long for them to end up in passenger service as there's no storage space in reality. Two roads for them at Bounds green and the odd space at Ferme park, Rest will need to be up and down the road.

They have the storage space at Tyne Yard.......I believe that is been set to for the base for the units needing testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.