• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
As such, I feel that the case of the "death ladder" is more pressing on the ECML than the GWML, although I think that the GWR 800s/802s should receive similar modifications for the sakes of safety and uniformity when a permanent solution is found.
Which modifications are you referring to?
Until then, the LNER staff are being told to be extra vigilant.

I have an inkling that the reason this might not apply as much to GWR is that all the Series 1 OLE is newer, and follows the standard European clearances between platform & OLE of 3.5m (alongside reduced live envelopes with the Single Insulator "gooseneck" Cantilevers), while the ECML Mk3a/Mk3b OLEMI-vintage equipment is nominally follows the British Standard clearance of 2.75m, alongside more live OLE components.

As such, I feel that the case of the "death ladder" is more pressing on the ECML than the GWML, although I think that the GWR 800s/802s should receive similar modifications for the sakes of safety and uniformity when a permanent solution is found.
I don't think anything will be done about it. It will be forgotten about and swept under the carpet.

Established Member
800109 has been to Edinburgh tonight. Possibly the first 800 to arrive into platform 5 on Electric power.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Which modifications are you referring to?
Surely in the context of the earlier posts, 59CosG95 was referring to the yet to be determined solution originally foreseen by the Rail article, in the post I mentioned earlier? Whatever detail they decide, it will be some sort of modification, yes?

jymiee

Maybe they are aiming for an "Official" launch on May 15th - but will do a soft intro before then to avoid any bad publicity from any issues that might arise - such as botched aircon leaking onto the heads of vip dignitaries? Not that anything like that would ever happen on a government procured fleet like these!

They are doing rehearsal runs that involve off duty staff and their/friends families in the coming weeks to simulate services running to timetable.

greyman42

Established Member
Surely in the context of the earlier posts, 59CosG95 was referring to the yet to be determined solution originally foreseen by the Rail article, in the post I mentioned earlier? Whatever detail they decide, it will be some sort of modification, yes?
I'm with you now, thanks.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is there much chance of Azumas on Anglo-Scottish services in mid-June at all? Or is that likely to be months away?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Limited to Leeds and Hull until they get the issues sorted out with the signalling north of Leeds.

Thanks, wasn't sure how quickly they were going to have that sorted, I'd read that they'd already modded the signalling up to Edinburgh but I think still had to test the trains with it to ensure everything was fine.

Established Member
Thanks, wasn't sure how quickly they were going to have that sorted, I'd read that they'd already modded the signalling up to Edinburgh but I think still had to test the trains with it to ensure everything was fine.

Well one has been into Edinburgh from Newcastle under the wires this week.

TheAlbanach_

Don't know if already been said, but the seat selector for the Azuma is up. Just tried to book the 1345 from Leeds and it came up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190320_152237_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190320_152237_com.android.chrome.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 176

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Don't know if already been said, but the seat selector for the Azuma is up. Just tried to book the 1345 from Leeds and it came up.

I do like a good seat selector, but why don't they show the window positions on them? That's the main reason I want to select on a unit like the 800 where all seats have adequate legroom.

Scotrail88

Not exactly correct thread so apologies in advance

I presume the staff at Leeds and Kings Cross will be happy as turnarounds should be easier with no seat reservations required to be applied.
I do hope they don’t get rid of staff though!
Is this usually done by station or on train staff?

Sirgerbil

Not exactly correct thread so apologies in advance

I presume the staff at Leeds and Kings Cross will be happy as turnarounds should be easier with no seat reservations required to be applied.
I do hope they don’t get rid of staff though!
Is this usually done by station or on train staff?

It's done by station staff at KGX.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So on the 9 car Azumas there is definitely no Coach D, E or F? Why's that?

To help avoid confusion. D and E on a five car are first class or composite so having all standard class D and E on a nine car would be confusing. Particularly in the event of a set swap from nine car to ten car. A nine car you'll have:

A B C G H J K L M (with KLM being 1st class/composite)

On a ten car you'll have:

A B C D E F G H K M (with D E K M being 1st class composite)

So ABCH overlap, F on the ten car covers for J on the nine and then first class has K and M along with part of D and E.

At least that's my guess. Have a look at the attached seat maps and see for yourself but it makes some sense to me!

Attachments

• Azuma 800 and 801 seat map.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

jymiee

The training run train that operated Monday and Tuesday was on diesel mode when it called at BWK. Not sure what power it was using for the rest of it's journey. Also NWR have completed the relevant signalling/infrastructure mods to resolve the interference issues and they are being tested at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.