• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Taking a different tack does anyone have any idea what will be done about those cables? To me they look pretty much fixed without a lot of alterations. People who say it will be quietly forgotten seem to have the most practical solution but H&S and practical are strange bedfellows.

broadgage

Taking a different tack does anyone have any idea what will be done about those cables? To me they look pretty much fixed without a lot of alterations. People who say it will be quietly forgotten seem to have the most practical solution but H&S and practical are strange bedfellows.

Moving the cables would be a significant alteration.
It should however be reasonable to fit some means to deter climbing up the cables.
Other stock with somewhat similar cables was retrofitted with semi-circular protrusions on the coach ends, that were shaped to deter climbing, and prevented ready access to the cables.
Other possibilities could include a tough but flexible rubber screen between vehicles hat conceals the cables, or a fixed fairing on each vehicle that reduces the climbing space.

deltic08

On Moderation
As they are 801s they will have to operate in electric mode. The single engine would make them as rapid as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping if they were on diesel.
I saw 800111 in York on a Peterborough training run in January. It accelerated away from York well if it was on diesel. I assume it was on diesel as electric was not being used north of Doncaster. Faster than 20mph.
The article in modern railways suggests LNER are reluctant to join and split services. Does this mean the 5 car sets are going to operate permanent joined or permanently separate?

Either way, what services will they be used on?
I thought they were being split at Leeds to go on to Harrogate/Bradford FS/Skipton.

deltic08

On Moderation
Moving the cables would be a significant alteration.
It should however be reasonable to fit some means to deter climbing up the cables.
Other stock with somewhat similar cables was retrofitted with semi-circular protrusions on the coach ends, that were shaped to deter climbing, and prevented ready access to the cables.
Other possibilities could include a tough but flexible rubber screen between vehicles hat conceals the cables, or a fixed fairing on each vehicle that reduces the climbing space.
Why not just lengthen the cables which lowers the loop so the high voltage is not accessible.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I saw 800111 in York on a Peterborough training run in January. It accelerated away from York well if it was on diesel. I assume it was on diesel as electric was not being used north of Doncaster. Faster than 20mph.

That's an 800 though - a full bi-mode.

It's the 801s which are straight electric but have one engine for shunting, hotel power, emergencies.

Antman

Established Member
5X82 is 800202 & 801104 in LNER
you're almost certainly right. Trying to conduct meetings and stare out of the window at the same time! (I also just missed identifying which 37 was hauling the Anglia DVT towards Canton....)

59CosG95

Established Member
800112 is being warm-stored in Tyne Yard ahead of entry into service, as there simply isn't the space to store both the new & legacy fleets on the ECML.
Let's hope Tyne Yard is a bit more secure after that DB Cargo trespass 'mishap' a couple of years ago...and to stop trespassers getting in with their paint cans.

anamyd

On Moderation
the AT300 bi-modes do accelerate really well on diesel - the 21 litre V12 engines probably help :D

broadgage

Why not just lengthen the cables which lowers the loop so the high voltage is not accessible.

If the loop was too long, it would sway about and might become foul of the loading gauge, at the least the cables might be damaged, and exceptionally a loop of cable could become caught on a lineside structure with most unfortunate results.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I also thought that but David Horne in modern railways suggests not to avoid compromising timetable reliability.

Does that mean no 5-car workings or simply 5-car sets staying as 5-car sets? (No joining-up other than forming 10-car sets at depots.)

baz962

Established Member
One of these drove past me through Gospel Oak at around 2.20- 2.30 pm.

deltic08

On Moderation
I also thought that but David Horne in modern railways suggests not to avoid compromising timetable reliability.
There is hardly room at Harrogate to stand a 5-car set and definitely not a 9 or 10-car during turnround unless they return to Leeds literally within minutes. Platforms are used every 30 minutes at present and will be every 15 minutes shortly. with trains turning back every 30 minutes and needing space to stand away from a platform.

Reinstating a short length of the Ripon line would provide ample space and off the "main line" stabling and turnround.

Bantamzen

Established Member
800109 departed Leeds at 1245 yesterday from Platform 8? Was this in service?

Well there doesn't seem to be any other movements in RTT (although as we know this isn't always correct) & 1A30 12:45 Leeds-Kings Cross did run off P8 so I don't know?

Interestingly I also noticed this unusual path a little earlier, albeit not activated yesterday:

0D06 0953 Doncaster to Doncaster

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y70002/2019/03/26/advanced

This is timed to sit in Leeds on P7 on arrival from Doncaster via Hambleton, then return the same way at 12:15. Possibly for testing 5 car 800s over the non-wired section?

Status
Not open for further replies.