• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkLong

Assuming they've sorted out the signalling interference issues.

I think that's what was delaying things if I remember right.

Then why the Guardian claim that they have to run for years in diesel mode for Edinburgh service? Another case of the unprefessional report?

Then why the Guardian claim that they have to run for years in diesel mode for Edinburgh service? Another case of the unprefessional report?

The Guardian article stated that “continuing difficulties in upgrading the electrified East Coast line mean that the bi-mode trains will largely be using diesel for years to come.”

I asked a question based on this as an earlier post confirmed Colton to Darlington has been cleared. Subsequent answers on this thread have advised good progress is being made. Thanks to those with the info.

To be fair to The Guardian, there was no claim that Edinburgh services will run on diesel. Sounds to me that the journalist has got confused.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Do not believe any nonsense publised by Guardian when it comes to railway.

I've had a read of the article online, and there's nothing for anyone to object to.
It's a routine piece closely linked to the LNER PR, with a backwards look at the GWR launch.
Gwyn Topham might not be at the same level of knowledge as some of his predecessors, but he doesn't deserve the pasting of the last few posts.
The Guardian has a good track record of investigative journalism, notably about the 2012 West Coast franchise fiasco.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Was anyone on today's service?

Yes, I was (just from Wakefield to Leeds). My impression from my short trip was that they aren't a bad train and the public will like them. A few comments:

- More legroom on the airline style seats than Mk.3/Mk.4 stock. I didn't sample the table seats.
- Seat reservation indicators are much clearer than that recently introduced on other LNER stock with red/green 'traffic lights' to show if a seat is reserved or not.
- I would prefer the seats to be a bit softer, but the shape seemed right to me.
- The ride seemed quieter than that of a Mk.4. General ambience of the coach seemed good.
- Each seat now has a charging point rather than just the one by the window. I was surprised they didn't also feature USB charging and mentioned this to David Horne (who, commendably, came round chatting to passengers) and he explained this hadn't really been a common thing when the trains were ordered, but it had been added to FC.
- Unlike the GWR versions, the trains feature a small buffet counter.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ve noticed that from pictures there are two variants of First class. Can someone explain to me please?
3F663845-276A-4E23-AEA9-492F192D8D63.jpeg BE94B931-647D-424E-9F86-AC52E3EE3BD3.jpeg

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yes, I was (just from Wakefield to Leeds). My impression from my short trip was that they aren't a bad train and the public will like them. A few comments:

- More legroom on the airline style seats than Mk.3/Mk.4 stock. I didn't sample the table seats.
- Seat reservation indicators are much clearer than that recently introduced on other LNER stock with red/green 'traffic lights' to show if a seat is reserved or not.
- I would prefer the seats to be a bit softer, but the shape seemed right to me.
- The ride seemed quieter than that of a Mk.4. General ambience of the coach seemed good.
- Each seat now has a charging point rather than just the one by the window. I was surprised they didn't also feature USB charging and mentioned this to David Horne (who, commendably, came round chatting to passengers) and he explained this hadn't really been a common thing when the trains were ordered, but it had been added to FC.

That's what I think, having ridden the GWR sets.
I do like the light airy ambience.

The GWR sets also only have USB charging in first class

MarkLong

I've had a read of the article online, and there's nothing for anyone to object to.
It's a routine piece closely linked to the LNER PR, with a backwards look at the GWR launch.
Gwyn Topham might not be at the same level of knowledge as some of his predecessors, but he doesn't deserve the pasting of the last few posts.
The Guardian has a good track record of investigative journalism, notably about the 2012 West Coast franchise fiasco.
I did not beliveve the bellowing sentence:

However, continuing difficulties in upgrading the electrified East Coast line mean that the bi-mode trains will largely be using diesel for years to come.

This is not true, as Newcastle section will be availble to use electic in June and Scottish section already run 385s, there are no such "for years to come", of course in will be true if the Guardian think Aberdeen-Edinburgh and Inverness-Edinburgh section are part of east coast main line.

Lewis lamb62)

Has anyone got any comments on the seat comfort since LNER said they’ve modified the seats compared to the GWR ones?

I’m travelling on one in a few days Don-Hull

Will I be in for a pleasant suprise?

NoOnesFool

Does anyone have any piccies of the Let's Eat Buffet Bar yet? The menu seems quite extensive for a modern buffet bar. I'd expected a Hull Trains style offering.

MarkLong

Has the vibration better than Class 91+MK4 set? The Class 91 set actually vibrate a lot when accelerating.

superalbs

Established Member
I’ve noticed that from pictures there are two variants of First class. Can someone explain to me please?
View attachment 63052 View attachment 63051
I guess they realised the original head cushion looked pathetic and cheap, so they changed it for a design that appears to be similar to the one on EMT HST. If it is the same as that, then it's sadly very unpractical and not comfy at all. Lol!

On Moderation

David Horne was also on the last HST “Hull Executive” this evening. I’m not surprised he was talking to the passengers: he is very good at communicating with passengers and staff both in person and by the likes of Twitter. An example that many other TOC MDs would do well to follow.

Mikey C

Established Member

The lack of USB ports in standard betrays just how long this programme has taken to get trains into service, when many buses now have USB ports as standard!

The interior colour scheme certainly is an improvement over the GWR ones which look desperately dull and uninviting inside

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has anyone got any comments on the seat comfort since LNER said they’ve modified the seats compared to the GWR ones?

GWR have two different types of base cushion (which, as someone who likes hard seats, is the main issue with them). The newer ones covered with moquette are not entirely dissimilar to a more contoured ironing board seat, the older ones are flimsy and you can feel the supporting bar through them. I believe the LNER seats are the same as the newer GWR type.

Fortunately I understand GWR are replacing the originals with the new type, which will remove most of my objection.

MarkLong

GWR have two different types of base cushion (which, as someone who likes hard seats, is the main issue with them). The newer ones covered with moquette are not entirely dissimilar to a more contoured ironing board seat, the older ones are flimsy and you can feel the supporting bar through them. I believe the LNER seats are the same as the newer GWR type.

Fortunately I understand GWR are replacing the originals with the new type, which will remove most of my objection.

Isn't the seating for Class 91+MK4 and HST has been improved for many times after they were comissioned? And each refurbishment has little improved comfortable level but the Azuma is brand new. We might anticipate many future improvements to the seat.

Established Member
View attachment 63052 View attachment 63051

So, the 1st picture is the headrests that were going to be used, and are the type that came with the train, the 2nd picture is the type that LNER have chosen to use, and actually only arrived in the country on Monday night, and were fitted at Bounds Green.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
So, the 1st picture is the headrests that were going to be used, and are the type that came with the train, the 2nd picture is the type that LNER have chosen to use, and actually only arrived in the country on Monday night, and were fitted at Bounds Green.
Thank you for that clarification. I wonder what made them change their mind?

johntea

Established Member
Couldn't they retrofit USB charging? (Like you can do with electrical sockets at home)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'd imagine so, it'd just require swapping the socket faceplate.

However you will get into arguments of which is better, standard USB or a 3-pin socket. Some folk will prefer 3-pin sockets so they can use laptops (which don't charge by USB), and I would imagine having USB sockets that low down might be hard for some users to use.

Probably not enough space underneath to have both USB & 3-pin sockets

Pseudonym

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I had a ride today from Doncaster to Leeds. I thought the seating was even more uncomfortable than on the GWR class 800s. On GWR they're painfully hard but the flat cloth, while reeking of cheap, is fairly smooth. The rough scratchy moquette poked through the material of my shirt in the LNER set. It itched my back. The foams are so hard, too hard to sit on even for a short journey. I'd begun to get pains in my legs and back after 35 minutes, alliviated by leaving the train but still uniquely uncomfortable seats. Unlike the GWR sets, the low winged headrest creates a bar that my shoulders hit while seated in the mandatory bolt-upright position. Nearly everything else about the trains, the colours, the legroom, the efficiency and speed etc is well done and a big improvement.

Unfortunately the seats are by definition the most important thing in any long-distance train, and you don't get much more long-distance than the work these trains will be doing. They are a severe impediment to using these trains. No other trains are comparable in terms of discomfort while seated. It's worthy of note that

Other gripes are more minor, for example very, very narrow corridors that impinge seriously on standing, or the seats by the doors that have no window view whatsoever.

rich-leeds

I did not beliveve the bellowing sentence:

However, continuing difficulties in upgrading the electrified East Coast line mean that the bi-mode trains will largely be using diesel for years to come.

This is not true, as Newcastle section will be availble to use electic in June and Scottish section already run 385s, there are no such "for years to come", of course in will be true if the Guardian think Aberdeen-Edinburgh and Inverness-Edinburgh section are part of east coast main line.

Guardian is correct (sort of) -- it refers to the fact the power supply upgrades will not be completed until later in 2021. The top end of the ECML will not be capable of running all the trains in electric mode. Therefore some will have to in diesel mode until the upgrade is compete.

Chris125

Established Member
The Guardian article stated that “continuing difficulties in upgrading the electrified East Coast line mean that the bi-mode trains will largely be using diesel for years to come.”

I asked a question based on this as an earlier post confirmed Colton to Darlington has been cleared. Subsequent answers on this thread have advised good progress is being made. Thanks to those with the info.

To be fair to The Guardian, there was no claim that Edinburgh services will run on diesel. Sounds to me that the journalist has got confused.

Could the Guardian be referring to the power supply upgrade that IIRC is needed to cope with all the extra electric services between Newcastle and Edinburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.