LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by snowball, 28 Sep 2018.

1. rich-leeds

rich-leeds Member

The video from the press launch here illustrates the buffet counter well (from around 4:50) - and is quite interesting generally. Includes a cameo from Roger Ford early on administering his fist of quality...

Edit:
    I've just spotted this video was also shared by camflyer at post #1229, but it has a good buffet and indeed separate kitchen sections.

2. rich-leeds

rich-leeds Member

Exactly so.

3. Jay S

Jay S Member

Pics of buffet

Attached Files:

4. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I mean it is day one (well now two) and with only one train in traffic. To be honest I'm surprised that they've bothered with any sort of difference in the menu!

5. kevjs

kevjs Member

Depends on the backbox - USB sockets often fit in a standard faceplate and backbox e.g.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-sp-13a-switched-socket-2-1a-2-outlet-usb-charger-white/8812f

6. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

Currently on 1A33 heading south. Opted to pay to upgrade to first class.
    Initial thoughts so far:
    The seats aren’t as bad I as I feared they may be albeit only been on 25mins.
    Here in coach L the engine whine when setting off is noticeable though still quieter overall than a Mk3 I’d say.
    The WiFi seems more reliable than the old stock, however not many on the service so hard to compare to a packed HST or Mk4.

It seems like there’s three times the normal LNER amount on here! Plus a few guys from hitachi.

7. 43096

43096 Established Member

Engine whine? Wouldn’t expect any of that on 1A33 as it should be in electric mode. Or do you mean traction motor noise?

8. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

Yes that’s what I meant, seems noticeable when setting off but I guess that’s to be expected when you’re above the motors unlike previously. Once it gets going and speeding along like now I’d say it’s no more noisy or vibrating than a MK4.

9. aswilliamsuk

aswilliamsuk Member

Is it 113 again as per yesterday, or a different unit, out of interest?

10. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

It’s 102, so this unit’s first day in service?

11. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

Just pulled into Peterborough where there’s 800106 (I think) just leaving plat 2. Like a vision of the future!

12. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

It's very interesting how on LNER they seem to be being welcomed with open arms, whereas the same trains on GWR were derided as rubbish very quickly, even by those who didn't mind the seats. Despite the fact that both have replaced, er, HSTs.

13. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

They were rushed into service with GWR, with a few issues, the first few months with a load of 5 vice 10 short forms didn't help things.
    They're being introduced on LNER with a lot less issues.

14. Islandexpress

Islandexpress Member

Congratulations to LNERs Marketing and Social Media depts.

15. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

I think though they've had a far less troubled introduction than on GWR.

Lessons learned?

16. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

It was noticeable how comfortable the onboard staff seemed to be considering it’s only the second day and about half a dozen services in. I overheard one lady doing the drinks trolley say they didn’t feel new to her any longer as had been practicing on them for a few months, only thing different now is there’s actual passengers onboard!

17. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Sounds like they've had a thorough training programme on the sets then, which can only be a good thing.

18. Phlip

Phlip Member

The launch has been handled rather better by LNER, although the problems on GWR can probably be blamed on DfT pushing them to get them into service.

There are a few things that are definitely better about LNERs IEPs when compared with GWRs though... The interior is decorated in tasteful shades of red, not drab, depressing grey. The seats are covered in decent moquette, not cheap cloth. There is a buffet bar. They can complete most journeys on electric.

I had a trip from Peterborough to Leeds on one today. It was pretty good - certainly no worse than the Mk 4 I travelled down to Peterborough on. The seats were definitely firm, but after 90 minutes in one I was not uncomfortable and there was plenty of knee room, which is what I normally struggle with.

However, the best travelling environment of the day was the refurbished 185 that took me home from Leeds.

19. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

It was actually pressure from Scotrail, as the first HST sets had started to go off-lease, the IETs were rushed into service when not everyone was as prepared

20. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

A shame that the LNER trains couldn't have entered service first, seeing that the wires already were there, and the IEPs could have replaced their HSTs instead and immediately remove diesel under wire operation.

21. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

Very true. I assume the order was decided a long time ago when it was believed the GWML would be fully electrified by the time the IEPs we’re ready to enter service...

Overall having now done my first Azuma first class journey I’d say they’re better than I was expecting, no major issues to write home about. I’ve got a repeat journey for work on the same Leeds-London service in two weeks so that’ll be my chance to experience the standard class offering.

22. td97

td97 Member

ECML infrastructure wasn't ready either; it needed the whole ECML Power Upgrade programme which is still ongoing (and also supported Thameslink). It is a separate project to the signalling interference (which NR should have seen coming anyway).

Last edited: 16 May 2019
  23. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

801106 left Leeds earlier at 5.45pm from platform 8.

24. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Member

I keep seeing IET; what does this stand for?:)

25. 43096

43096 Established Member

Incredibly Expensive Train. Or Intercity Express Train if you’re a railway PR type. Other names are available.

26. 66Yorks

66Yorks Member

I prefer Class 800/801. Personally not a fan of 'azuma'.

27. achmelvic

achmelvic Member

I’m not a huge fan of the name either albeit I’ve used it quite a bit my posts above today. I guess it makes it easier to differentiate the LNER offering from the GWR.

It is noticeable that one 800102 which was in service today there wasn’t the Azuma branding on the side of every coach, only on the front of the unit.

I wonder if LNER have toned it down compared to have Virgin would’ve done?

28. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

This reduced “Azuma” stuff was noted a good few weeks ago now. Post #609 onwards.
    Looks like it has deffo been cut back.

29. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Member

:lol:

How is it pronounced? I say A-zoom-a but I have heard Az-you-ma. :|;)

30. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

A-zoom-a is the correct pronunciation