• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Took an inaugural Azuma ride yesterday on 1718 KGX-HUL. First impressions generally very positive: carriages bright and airy; lots of legroom in the airline seats; good provision of toilets throughout; and very quiet in both electric and diesel modes (the switch to diesel between Donny and Selby was barely noticeable). One thing I really noticed was that the dwell times at station were impressively short, particularly at places like Selby and Brough where previously you would be standing for 3-4 mins while the guard walked the full length of the platform checking the doors. It definitely helped us to recover a few minutes after a slightly late departure from the Cross and an additional call at Retford.

However, I'm afraid I do have to agree with the negative reviews of the seats. I don't find the angle/pitch too bad at all, but they really are very hard and the material is scratchy on your legs. I'm really not convinced that they couldn't have improved the quantity of padding in the seats, which clearly have been spec'd based on cost above comfort. Also not overly impressed with the PIS; we called additionally at Retford and the guard said he was unable to change the calling pattern on the PIS announcements, causing some confusion for passengers. Is it the case that only predefined calling patterns based on services can be selected?

Meerkat

Established Member
The orange line around the roof.....it’s an electrification warning right?
Why does it go over the headlight rather than under it, are there any rules on its height?

Sirgerbil

Why does it go over the headlight rather than under it, are there any rules on its height?

It's called a "cant" line, it designates the safe working area when the OHE is live. Anything above the cant line is considered dangerous.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One small thing I noticed in coach K of 800102 is on the doors separating first from standard it has "Standard" facing standard. Wouldn't it be better to have "First" pointing towards standard to stop people thinking more standard class seats are available?

IMG_20190526_182029149_HDR.jpg

(Not sure if you can see it)

(Avoid K67 & K72 as those seats are against a pillar)

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
One small thing I noticed in coach K of 800102 is on the doors separating first from standard it has "Standard" facing standard. Wouldn't it be better to have "First" pointing towards standard to stop people thinking more standard class seats are available?

It would. Surely having "First Class" on the Standard Class side and perhaps "Standard Class" on the First Class side would be logical?

Established Member
The line is yellow around the headlight rather than orange. Looking at other images the line is not present on the standard class end so I would assume the yellow line is it show that it is the first class end of the train.

Sprinter153

Also not overly impressed with the PIS; we called additionally at Retford and the guard said he was unable to change the calling pattern on the PIS announcements, causing some confusion for passengers. Is it the case that only predefined calling patterns based on services can be selected?

No, in fact it’s very easy to modify the calling pattern if needed with just a few taps, but I’ve found on GWR that a lot of the guards either can’t or won’t use the TMS correctly which is quite frustrating as it has quite a lot of useful functionality.

This is despite it being included on the Guards course and Hitachi also provide a TMS Simulator Android app for training.

westv

Established Member
I did mention the hard seats in a tweet to LNER on Friday. Unsurprisingly it was never replied to

Kite159

Veteran Member
It would. Surely having "First Class" on the Standard Class side and perhaps "Standard Class" on the First Class side would be logical?

It would be, certainly would reduce the number of standard class passengers walking into first class by mistake. I can't recall if the doors on the GWR 5 coach versions are similar.

----

Caught the 16:16 service this afternoon from Leeds, other than it being red inside it felt the same as a GWR unit. Good acceleration (I wonder if Leeds - London in 2 hours will be possible), although it did crash a bit over pointwork but a much better ride than a MK4 coach

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It would be, certainly would reduce the number of standard class passengers walking into first class by mistake. I can't recall if the doors on the GWR 5 coach versions are similar.

Most companies have signs stating "First Class" on the Standard Class side.

Caught the 16:16 service this afternoon from Leeds, other than it being red inside it felt the same as a GWR unit. Good acceleration (I wonder if Leeds - London in 2 hours will be possible), although it did crash a bit over pointwork but a much better ride than a MK4 coach

I've read very mixed reports on GWR IET ride-quality, interesting to see if they will be better than a Mk4.

TheBigD

Established Member

Leeds-London journey time is planned to be reduced to just 2hours once all the timetable/infrastructure improvents happen in the coming years. Number of stops will be removed as well.

Unless its changed the service will be half hourly, 1 per hour calling at Wakefield and Peterborough, and 1per hour calling at Wakefield and Doncaster, both taking just 2 hours. An extra service every 2 hours (from Harrogate) will call at Doncaster, Retford, Newark, Grantham and Stevenage.

Last edited:

Shepley

The 07.00 from Leeds Monday - Friday arrives KX at 08.59 so the gain with the new rolling stock is the time of an extra stop (including braking / acceleration).

WYSH

Leeds-London journey time is planned to be reduced to just 2hours once all the timetable/infrastructure improvents happen in the coming years. Number of stops will be removed as well.

Unless its changed the service will be half hourly, 1 per hour calling at Wakefield and Peterborough, and 1per hour calling at Wakefield and Doncaster, both taking just 2 hours. An extra service every 2 hours (from Harrogate) will call at Doncaster, Retford, Newark, Grantham and Stevenage.
I thought the Harrogate service was to also stop at Wakefield has this changed

TheBigD

Established Member
I thought the Harrogate service was to also stop at Wakefield has this changed

December sees 6 of the current London-Leeds services extended to/from Harrogate. This is a temporary plan until all the timetable/infrastructure improvements take place, probably 2021 or later.

57Tonic

This may have been done before but looking at the Rosyth picture above,
I thought how much nicer this livery would look on the GWR with green replacing the red instead of the rather bland all over green. Photoshopers its over to you,

Last edited:

modernrail

It seems a bit stupid to add stops to the longer route. Surely you want less not more stops on the Harrogate route. I would have thought something like Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, Peterbrough would be the ideal pattern for those services.

VT 390

Established Member

What will replace Grantham and Stevenage services in the alternate hour to when the Harrogate service operates?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

What about those of us travelling from Doncaster to Peterborough?

westv

Established Member
A two hour journey is a pipe dream for us in Hull. Once everything is sorted the direct LNER journey will still be 40 minutes longer than that.

Meerkat

Established Member
The line is yellow around the headlight rather than orange. Looking at other images the line is not present on the standard class end so I would assume the yellow line is it show that it is the first class end of the train.

Good spot!! To be pedantic shouldn’t the orange line still continue below the headlight though?

waytogo

No, in fact it’s very easy to modify the calling pattern if needed with just a few taps, but I’ve found on GWR that a lot of the guards either can’t or won’t use the TMS correctly which is quite frustrating as it has quite a lot of useful functionality.

This is despite it being included on the Guards course and Hitachi also provide a TMS Simulator Android app for training.

No the guard was correct, it isn’t possible to add stops in, only take out. The stops are predefined based on the head code of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.