• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3973EXL

Established Member
800106 9 car has hauled 2 5 car 801 units from Eastleigh to Doncaster this week.
Tues 800106 ran Bounds Green to Eastleigh.
Wed hauled 801111 to Doncaster.
Thurs ran Doncaster to Eastleigh.
Fri hauled 801110 to Doncaster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Back to topic, I've now been on one (Kings X to Donny this morning) and the verdict is that the seats (and everything else) are the same as the GWR newer moquette-covered type - OK, but not great - but what I would say is that the colour scheme makes it a much more pleasant environment - warm and welcoming rather than stark and like a 1990s bus. The GWR ones really would benefit from a good splash of British Racing Green inside.

I'd say overall it had the feel of a Class 444, which is overall a pretty good unit, though the seats were as you'd expect not as good as Grammer's offering. Ride slightly rough but nowhere near as bad as the awful Mk4 - does the ECML have particularly bad track, as it was rather better on the GW?

Used the buffet (due to a very tight connection thanks to LNR being unable to ensure traincrew for the 0715 off Bletchley - thanks guys, I could have had half an hour extra in bed), the coffee machine was broken but tea was Yorkshire so did the job. The range seemed VERY limited, though. It only seemed to take up about 2 bays, so GWR could easily retrofit without much seating lost.

FWIW I was surprised at how busy it was - is everyone off to Skeggy for the week or something? I had expected northbound at 0903 on a Sunday to be near empty.

route:oxford

Established Member
FWIW I was surprised at how busy it was - is everyone off to Skeggy for the week or something? I had expected northbound at 0903 on a Sunday to be near empty.

If you're coming off an early morning arrival at Heathrow or Gatwick (Saturday evening departure), and taking the train back home, the 09:00 ish services are first options really.

westv

Established Member
One thing I have noticed is that a weather website I sometimes look at always used to just show a blank page on NL65 now shows up correctly on the Azuma.

theblackwatch

Established Member
LNER gained more publicity this morning - my local radio station mentioned the introduction of the 'Azuma bullet trains' on the evening King's Cross-Skipton service from today.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
LNER gained more publicity this morning - my local radio station mentioned the introduction of the 'Azuma bullet trains' on the evening King's Cross-Skipton service from today.

Well I suppose their top speed is comparable to that of the original "bullet trains"! :rolleyes::lol:

Japan0913

Definition of Shinkansen(bullet train) in Japan
"a high-speed railway system that runs on a dedicated subbase without crossing other tracks or roads".
We will construct one system consisting of vehicles, roadbeds and traffic signals.
So, Japanese Shinkansen is expensive and other countries don't take it seriously.
When you take a local line, you follow the rules of the local line.
Currently, the maximum speed allowed on conventional lines is 100 mph.
Currently, the maximum speed of Shinkansen(bullet train) trains in Japan is 200 mph for the JREast Series E5.

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like "Plastic-Free Bingley" have failed in their mission then! :)

superkev

Established Member
I read this somewhere. I cant verify but if true what a mess this country is in with all the various safety nannys trying to out safe each other. Unbelievable. Text follows.
K
"Azuma external cable steps...
Seccurity guards to attend to wherever it stops in a station to check nobody’s climbing it.
A security guard turned up at Skipton last night for its arrival. Said he’d driven from Blackburn, stood on the platform for 10 minutes until it went, then drove back to Blackburn.
Amazing"

Crisps

800108 has just “called” at Darlington platform 1 on 5Q20. Was attracting a bit of interest from waiting passengers. The crew tested the doors then off it went again.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I read this somewhere. I cant verify but if true what a mess this country is in with all the various safety nannys trying to out safe each other. Unbelievable. Text follows.
K
Seccurity guards to attend to wherever it stops in a station to check nobody’s climbing it.
A security guard turned up at Skipton last night for its arrival. Said he’d driven from Blackburn, stood on the platform for 10 minutes until it went, then drove back to Blackburn.
Amazing"
The cable climbing “safety issue” is definitely there according to ORR; it’s mentioned on the first page of this thread.

Whether or not a mobile security guard is the right answer is another matter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The cable climbing “safety issue” is definitely there according to ORR; it’s mentioned on the first page of this thread.

Whether or not a mobile security guard is the right answer is another matter.

So said security guard is standing at one end of a 9-car set. Someone climbs it. Can he get to them to tell them to pack it in before they are fried? I doubt it. Even if he was there he'd be ill advised to attempt physical restraint in case he ended up fried himself - I'd treat someone "too near" to the juice as actually being live, myself.

I do understand the risk and the need to mitigate it, but this is ridiculous and doesn't mitigate anything.

GreatAuk

That is ridiculous if true... I'd wager it probably increases risk overall due to the potential for the security guard to be involved in a car crash on his way to/from the station!

samuelmorris

Established Member
That is ridiculous if true... I'd wager it probably increases risk overall due to the potential for the security guard to be involved in a car crash on his way to/from the station!
That's probably true. The likelihood of death by Darwin award near overhead lines has got to be lower than that of being fatally wounded in a car accident, that risk analysis doesn't really add up!

superkev

Established Member
K
Amazing"
I find this fiasco difficult to believe. The pursuit of infinite safety at infinite cost. Can anyone confirm or is it fake news?
Also what other stations if any are affected.
K

thejuggler

A colleague had his first trip on one last week.

Chatting today one of his comments was 'I can't believe that ladder of cables between carriages. How long before someone tries to climb them?'.

RichSwitch

If the issue with the cable ladder is really that bad perhaps they should have a private ambulance on standby at each station instead. Although, granted, prevention is better than cure.

quantinghome

Established Member
The pursuit of infinite safety at infinite cost.

It's not. The law mandates that safety risks are kept 'as low as reasonably practicable'. A cost-benefit balance is implied within this. However, the law does not specify how this is to be achieved - it is up to the organisation involved how they choose to comply, although clearly it makes sense to speak to the body enforcing the law. Given people generally want to avoid going to prison, they often come up with solutions that are over the top, or can demonstrate on paper at least that they have taken reasonable steps.

Ultimately it's a daft design. I don't see why the cables couldn't have been located elsewhere to eliminate the risk entirely.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Ultimately it's a daft design. I don't see why the cables couldn't have been located elsewhere to eliminate the risk entirely.

Makes you wonder why the design ever got off the drawing board as is. But now it has some sort of fairing as mentioned by someone earlier in thread surely would do the job to close the gap. Other electric units have the cabling in the same place, Class 390s, but half the gap. Fault down to the Government Dft department.

Status
Not open for further replies.