• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
How about getting a calculator out before posting incorrect statements?

There are 35 nine-car GWR 800s and 802s.

There are 58 five-car GWR 800s and 802s. Coupled together that would give you 29 2x5 formations, which isn't a majority to begin with, never mind that a proportion of the five-car seats operate Oxford/Cotswold and Bedwyn services as single units.
I interpreted the statement as saying that the five-car units spent the majority of their time coupled up, rather than as single units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
I interpreted the statement as saying that the five-car units spent the majority of their time coupled up, rather than as single units.
Yes that was the idea, and it's on me for not wording the post adequately. I didn't bother to continue the conversation and clarify that though because, much though I dislike singling out individual members as it's never the right thing to do, responding to posts with that sort of insulting tone never lead anywhere productive. They're best left as they are.

thejuggler

My wife has just had her first Azuma trip. First class both ways Leeds to London. The on board service was excellent, the lunchtime meal on Friday really good.

She went with a friend she doesn't see often and the big disappointment was the loss of most of the two seats facing each other, being replaced by single seats in airline style. Otherwise its a table for four.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
She went with a friend she doesn't see often and the big disappointment was the loss of most of the two seats facing each other, being replaced by single seats in airline style. Otherwise its a table for four.

Yes that's an issue in my view. I think that the current balance in Mk4s and Mk3s on LNER is just about right. There is perhaps an argument for a slight reduction in bays of two (maybe one or two per carriage) as obviously individual seats are popular with solo travellers but there are only I think two (maybe three) facing tables for two and two more side by side tables for two on a 9-car Azuma which is not enough really in my view.

Thank's DfT! :rolleyes:

modernrail

How big a job is it to turn a few round to create more 2 + table I wonder? Perhaps not the biggest or most costly job? If so might be worth doing.

Rob F

Yes that was the idea, and it's on me for not wording the post adequately. I didn't bother to continue the conversation and clarify that though because, much though I dislike singling out individual members as it's never the right thing to do, responding to posts with that sort of insulting tone never lead anywhere productive. They're best left as they are.
Yet he receives protection it seems. I had a post deleted for being 'rude' that merely asked after jimm's whereabouts on the thread discussing class 800 reliability.

FQTV

My wife has just had her first Azuma trip. First class both ways Leeds to London. The on board service was excellent, the lunchtime meal on Friday really good.

Yes that's an issue in my view. I think that the current balance in Mk4s and Mk3s on LNER is just about right. There is perhaps an argument for a slight reduction in bays of two (maybe one or two per carriage) as obviously individual seats are popular with solo travellers but there are only I think two (maybe three) facing tables for two and two more side by side tables for two on a 9-car Azuma which is not enough really in my view.

Thank's DfT! :rolleyes:

I think that this will be a common theme to feedback from leisure passengers as the rollout continues.

For high-yield business passengers, solo seats are the most demanded type in First Class, so you can see how market research would lead to there being so many of them.

Speculatively, I can see how pairs side-by-side could be seen, in theory, as preferable to business passengers travelling in pairs, as they’re somewhat less exposed than facing pairs. In practice, I suspect that they’ll be be less popular as it forces both passengers to be in the same direction of travel.

West Coast passengers, of course, are used to having almost no solo seats, and side by side pairs. On the East, we’re used to plenty of facing pairs and associate side by side pairs with CrossCountry only, which is never going to be a positive connection!

Personally, I didn’t like the side by side pair that I tried on an Azuma; I found it quite claustrophobic with the high seat backs and dark colour of them blocking my forward vision.

Brian Bennett

Merchants park.
Recent visit.
801201. Plain white livery.
801203. Azuma livery.
5 car Azuma livery. T89 in cab window.
800207?
3 off. 9 car Azuma livery units.
T99, T101, T103 in cab window.
Could anyone please help with corresponding unit numbers.

Established Member
Merchants park.
Recent visit.
801201. Plain white livery.
801203. Azuma livery.
5 car Azuma livery. T89 in cab window.
800207?
3 off. 9 car Azuma livery units.
T99, T101, T103 in cab window.
Could anyone please help with corresponding unit numbers.

T89 is indeed 800207
T99 is 801207, T101 is 801209 and T103 is 801211.

59CosG95

Established Member
Is that a possible sign of route restrictions ending, noting that your previous gen usually had separate train IDs either side of Acton?
Not necessarily - as this is a full length 801 travelling, it's impossible to have an 800 haul it over the unelectrified sections (read: sections without OLE) of the route. 5-car 800s would be hampered by the dead weight of the 9-car, and a full 18-car rake of an 800/1 and an 801/2 would cause signalling havoc.

3973EXL

Established Member
Is that a possible sign of route restrictions ending, noting that your previous gen usually had separate train IDs either side of Acton?
That would be one possibility!
I've no inside knowledge these days, even when I did, I found inconsistency and puzzling application of the exceptional load procedure.

This week so far, all IET;
Mon - Eastleigh to Doncaster EXLO to Acton then Q headcode.
Tue - Doncaster to Eastleigh Q throughout.
Wed - didn't run but, Dollands Moor to Eastleigh EXLO throughout.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00511/2019/08/07/advanced

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not necessarily - as this is a full length 801 travelling, it's impossible to have an 800 haul it over the unelectrified sections (read: sections without OLE) of the route. 5-car 800s would be hampered by the dead weight of the 9-car, and a full 18-car rake of an 800/1 and an 801/2 would cause signalling havoc.
The reason for the “X headcodes” in the Wessex area was proposed a few weeks back as being for gauging issues, so that shouldn’t really be dependent on the length or exact type of 80x in the consist, or if it is loco hauled.

Entertexthere

18 × 26 = 468 metres. While that is indeed rather long, surely there are freight trains which are longer?
In the Networkrail 2008 Network Statement it says:

''... As a general guide the following are train lengths that may be
accepted without the need for any restriction ... For freight trains -
up to 448 metres in length ...''

Kieran1990

Had my second Azuma experience today 13:45 LDS-KGX. Ride quality was hit and miss in all honesty and yeah the seat wasn’t as comfortable as MK4/ MK3 but overall I was satisfied.
Stand out had to be the acceleration of the 800’s- we left Peterbourlgh at almighty take off.

On Moderation
Had my second Azuma experience today 13:45 LDS-KGX. Ride quality was hit and miss in all honesty and yeah the seat wasn’t as comfortable as MK4/ MK3 but overall I was satisfied.
Stand out had to be the acceleration of the 800’s- we left Peterbourlgh at almighty take off.
So the seats are worse than what we have now and the ride quality wasn’t great, but you’re happy?

Bizarre. Just utterly bizarre.

samuelmorris

Established Member
So the seats are worse than what we have now and the ride quality wasn’t great, but you’re happy?

Bizarre. Just utterly bizarre.
'Satisfactory' doesn't necessarily mean great. It just means that despite the shortcomings, it was not a terrible experience that would put them off using the trains in future.

On Moderation
'Satisfactory' doesn't necessarily mean great. It just means that despite the shortcomings, it was not a terrible experience that would put them off using the trains in future.
'Satisfied' was the word used, which the dictionary defines as contented or pleased. That is somewhat different from satisfactory.

Thunderer

'Satisfied' was the word used, which the dictionary defines as contented or pleased. That is somewhat different from satisfactory.
A lot of ECML passengers are now experiencing the bland experience of the IEP first hand, satisfactory will be the high water mark when more and more people's opinions come rolling in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.