• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uxm

Any ideas as to when they will enter service? I'm aware of the current issues.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

From what I've heard no date has been made available to LNER staff. Presumably Hitachi know and senior management within LNER but otherwise they're playing their cards close to their chest by all accounts.

jimm

Established Member
They're not what's been fitted in the end - LNER have got the same seats as GWR on their 800s instead...

The seats in the East Coast fleet were always going to be exactly the same type as the GW trains also ordered by the DfT through the IEP programme, just with red covers, courtesy of Virgin's love affair with all things red...

Sirgerbil

They are not going to be part of the December timetable, Its unlikely they will change the timetable mid run. So at a good guess would be May for passenger service.

uxm

Here is the first class interior mock up.
Artistic-Impress-Interior-First-Class-02.png

Clansman

Established Member
That render has been doing rounds for years, IIRC there's a more recent version knocking about - albeit Virgin branded.

14xxDave

The Chronicle ran an article on this today saying that it was major problems with the signalling that was delaying things until early next year. I would add a link but the Chronicle website is so stuffed with advertising crap that it would be like negotiating a minefield.

Department for Transport doesn't know when new 'Azuma' trains will start running on East Coast Main Line
Department for Transport doesn't know when new 'Azuma' trains will start running on East Coast Main Line

The trains are meant to be a massive improvement for passengers and were due to start in December - but they've been delayed

The Department for Transport has admitted it does not know when long-awaited new trains will be running on the East Coast Main Line.

Transport Minister Liz Sugg said: “I am afraid that I am not able to give a definite date.”

She said rail operator London North Eastern Railway (LNER), which runs long-distance services on the East Coast line, “hopes to start introducing the trains early next year”.

But the trains had originally been due to enter service in December this year - and that deadline would be missed, she said.

Passengers have been promised more seats, increased legroom, additional luggage space and faster Wi-Fi once Azuma trains, built by Hitachi, are introduced.

But it’s emerged that the vehicles are incompatible with outdated equipment besides the track. They cause interference to older signals and points which are in use north of York.

And Baroness Sugg admitted that there was no set date for their introduction, when she was questioned in the House of Lords.

Asked to “put a date on when the trains will actually run the full route to London”, she replied: “I am afraid that I am not able to give a definite date. We are trying to introduce the trains as soon as possible, but there remain issues that we need to work through.
(this may have worked)

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
The seats in the East Coast fleet were always going to be exactly the same type as the GW trains also ordered by the DfT through the IEP programme, just with red covers, courtesy of Virgin's love affair with all things red...
Red is not a restful colour and shows up as such on brainwave patterns. Greys and greens are the most restful.

nicolaboo

This is what it looked like today at Leeds, having run the empty slot vacated when a diagram was pulled a while ago. Roughly on the 15:03 KX to Leeds, and subsequent 17:15 (left 2 early) south again.
801 101 on 5Q33 mostly early until Wakefield and 8 late at Leeds. Went on to Donny as 5Q34.
801 interior.jpg
It had these signs in each carriage, amended for each.
801 sign.JPG

uxm

This is what it looked like today at Leeds, having run the empty slot vacated when a diagram was pulled a while ago. Roughly on the 15:03 KX to Leeds, and subsequent 17:15 (left 2 early) south again.
801 101 on 5Q33 mostly early until Wakefield and 8 late at Leeds. Went on to Donny as 5Q34.
View attachment 54771
View attachment 54772
All IETs will arrive with stock Hitachi seats. The plans are to rip them off and replace them with the seats which were already ordered by virgin. GWR did the same.

14xxDave

View attachment 54771
View attachment 54772
I love the 3th shipment. Makes you wonder what the cab computer will default to when it has a melt down!

Euan

DrAqINOXQAE4-3R.jpg

Credit to @JedKendray on Twitter

Seems like this one doesn't have AZUMA plastered everywhere?

cactustwirly

Established Member
All IETs will arrive with stock Hitachi seats. The plans are to rip them off and replace them with the seats which were already ordered by virgin. GWR did the same.

GWR didn't do anything to the seats, they still use the same seats complete with original fabric.

On Moderation
Same rubbish, different TOC.
The (lowest) common denominator being DfT, of course.

It will be very interesting to see what seats are fitted in the Hull Trains 802s - WorstGroup can't bleat about DfT interference on those.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The (lowest) common denominator being DfT, of course.

It will be very interesting to see what seats are fitted in the Hull Trains 802s - WorstGroup can't bleat about DfT interference on those.

I'm expecting the same, just as the same awful seats are being fitted in all the new TPE stock, which is similarly not specified by the DfT.

FWIW, I used a GWR unit for a couple of hours each way this weekend. On both occasions I could feel the metal cross-support through the seat base. This is not fit for purpose, and has nothing to do with fire regulations because the presence of a metal base across the seat would prevent this, and last time I checked metal does not burn.

Bayum

Established Member
Looking less likely as each day goes on that I’ll be able to travel to London in December on an 800 from Leeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.