• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
A post on Twitter from LNER earlier mentioning that the air con on one of their Azuma services was automatically deactivated after someone smoked on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimShady

Established Member
A post on Twitter from LNER earlier mentioning that the air con on one of their Azuma services was automatically deactivated after someone smoked on the train.

Why would the a/c turn off? On Merchant Vessel's this used to be the case untill the incident in MV Scandinavian Star. It was discovered that the positive pressure environment in the cabins was keeping the smoke at bay. When the ventilation was shut down the thick smoke entered the cabins, many deaths occurred as a result. It seems to me that it would be desirable to keep it running on a sealed train from the same reasons.

TH172341

Part of the fire safety protection system onboard all 80X units; if any of the detectors are activated the air con automatically shuts off.

D6700

Part of the fire safety protection system onboard all 80X units; if any of the detectors are activated the air con automatically shuts off.
I suspected it would be something like that - to prevent the onward distribution of smoke from a fire, although GrimShady's post suggests this action may not have the effects that are hoped for.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It would help if people didn’t take so much luggage with them without thinking that their nice four-wheeled case does actually have to be moved and lifted sometimes. Simple rule: don’t take more than you can carry.

There is a difference between carrying a 20kg suitcase- which is by no means excessive for a leisure traveller going on holiday- and having to lift it into an overhead locker 7' above the ground. I'm 6' and pretty strong, I could do it. Just.

Take the eight pointless seats at the carriage ends- the ones with no window and no armrests due to the door recess- and stick a luggage rack in. It's so obvious I don't understand why they weren't specified that way. Problem now is that, if my experience of outsourcing is to go by, is that Hitachi will charge top dollar to do the work.

InOban

Established Member
Several pages ago I seem to recall a post saying that these end seats are actually quite popular with people who simply want to sit and work. Not everyone wants to gaze out of the window.

TH172341

I suspected it would be something like that - to prevent the onward distribution of smoke from a fire, although GrimShady's post suggests this action may not have the effects that are hoped for.

Yes all to do with slowing down circulation of smoke in the carriage. With air con blowing it will speed up this movement of smoke, pushing it around all corners of the carriage and importantantly downwards towards the floor which will significantly reduce the available window at the floor level to crawl along to get to a coach end. Having done artificial smoke training there is a small "window" at the floor level for a short period of time to use to crawl to a coach end, but air con if on (particularly if on high power) will reduce available time and effectiveness to do that and evacuate to another coach or exit. If the fire is only at one end of a carriage then minimal air circulation will be important to keep the other end safe for as long as possible; the fire retardant materials fitted these days will reduce the spread of flames, so it is minimising the spread of smoke that is key.

Certainly with the Hitachis the end gangway doors are fire doors and designed to contain a fire for a period of time. Last thing wanted is for passengers to evacuate to another coach that is not on fire for the fresh air intake of the air con on the next carriage to then begin sucking in contaminated air from the burning carriage next to it. This is very important if in the unfortunate situation of being in a tunnel.

Not familiar with the ship fire referred to so will have to have a read of that out of interest.

Established Member
My first trip today. Leeds London.

First issue. Unit swap so 2 x 5 rather than a 9 coach.

People in our reserved seats, but no reservation lights. All reservations had been abandoned. They however were happy to move. At Wakefield extreme abuse given to train manager from someone who couldn't get in their booked seat. Car B was half empty, but he wasn't for moving carriage. Threats to eject at Doncaster appeared to work.

Arrived on time, coach nice and quiet, seats not too bad. Toilet was blocked by Stevenage.

Return journey arrived half an hour late due to earlier problems at Leeds. Train however turned round in 15 minutes. Coach B for the return and we were over the traction motor. Daughter described the constant motor noise perfectly, like sat next to a washing machine going into spin cycle! Lights in carriage are far too bright.

Delay at Peterborough due to software issue. Reset didn't work and we were told train was restricted to 60mph and all would be off at Doncaster. Ten minutes later we were told another driver was on board and we could now go 125mph, can anyone explain that? I really don't like the prison cell issue metal toilets and no hand towels, just a poor hand dryer.

At Retford told we would run through to Leeds. Arrived about 45 late. On board manager was excellent in providing onward service info. We had some passengers who had been caught up in the Euston problems and were going to Manchester and further in the north west.

If restricted to 60mph, sounds like an issue with the drivers safety device, if another suitable competent person is in cab, it is olm to procede at Linespeed.

Established Member
Several pages ago I seem to recall a post saying that these end seats are actually quite popular with people who simply want to sit and work. Not everyone wants to gaze out of the window.

Very popular seats which fill up quickly even if carriages are near empty and loads of unreserved seats available

To note these maybe getting removed on some carriage to install more luggage racks.
Conversations are currently going on between DFT/Hitachi/Lner.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very popular seats which fill up quickly even if carriages are near empty and loads of unreserved seats available

Interesting - because they're near the door maybe, or because you're unlikely to get someone sitting next to you? (If someone does sit next to you they're as bad as the 2 side of 3+2 seating as there is no centre armrest - that's arguably worse than the lack of window if you're not going to want to look out).

FWIW the windowless seats on Pendolinos are near-always the last to go.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Interesting - because they're near the door maybe, or because you're unlikely to get someone sitting next to you? (If someone does sit next to you they're as bad as the 2 side of 3+2 seating as there is no centre armrest - that's arguably worse than the lack of window if you're not going to want to look out).

I have noticed on the seat selector that, sensibly and unlike GWR, these seats are unreservable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have noticed on the seat selector that, sensibly and unlike GWR, these seats are unreservable.

The windowless seats (at least some of them) on Pendolinos are reservable. I've been allocated one before, and declined to take it up and instead used a different train. There's a thread about it somewhere. Or do you mean on LNER (this would make more sense as it is the subject of the thread!)

VTWC at least show on the seat selector and public seat maps seats with "limited view" - though I do wish they and all other TOCs would just show the window positions!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Similar seats on 156s and 390s are always the very last to be taken, so I am very surprised that the LNER Azumas would somehow be different.

And if you want a bulkhead seat, there are plenty to choose from on an Azuma!

It’s an honest question - what’s sensible about them being unreservable?

If they are unreservable, they will only be occupied by someone who actively wants no window, a narrower seat, no armrest to lean on whilst working, and draughts from the vestibule.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Unless it's the windowless seats on a table, they don't hang round for long

rdlover777

Saw this headline appear on my feed this morning while on HS1, im honestly shocked about this

Mods are free to merge this with an existing thread or delete it, i couldn't find any other threads here about this so i thought i post it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leaks-new-hitachi-east-coast-20731266

Safety fears have been raised after leaks on brand new trains on the East Coast mainline which Labour say could cost the government £8billion.

Shadow Transport Secretary Andy McDonald slammed the Government's Department for Transport after unions claimed they were unsafe in the lead-up to Christmas.

Workers say leaking ovens, taps flooding carriages and insufficient storage space on the Hitachi Azuna LNER trains are a recipe for disaster as busy periods approach.

Union members say rubbish can not be stored on the new trains, and faulty toilets mean passengers are being let down.

Mr McDonald said the £8billion contract for the 122 new Hitachi trains across the East Cost Mainline and other networks made them “the most expensive trains in the world.”

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Emergency services and staff have been advised not to go underneath the train (for example to rescue a person that has been hit or to recover lost property) until it has been confirmed by Hitachi that it has been "electrically isolated." Not sure if this just requires the pantographs to be dropped or traincrew have to undertake additional actions to what they would ordinary do, or whether a fitter needs to physically attend the train.

Last edited:

rdlover777

Emergency services and staff have been advised not to go underneath the train (for example to rescue a person that has been hit or to recover lost property) until it has been confirmed by Hitachi that it has been "electrically isolated." Not sure if this just requires the pantographs to be dropped or traincrew have to undertake additional actions to what they would ordinary do.

But what if the train was under diesel power at the time if it was a 800 that hit someone?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But what if the train was under diesel power at the time if it was a 800 that hit someone?
No idea, it isn't clear whether the risk is of traction current causing issues for someone, or whether it is the train's internal "hotel" power.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Mr McDonald said the £8billion contract for the 122 new Hitachi trains across the East Cost Mainline and other networks made them “the most expensive trains in the world.”

Wasn't the contract drawn up & signed back when Mr Brown was PM?

Sleeperwaking

Emergency services and staff have been advised not to go underneath the train (for example to rescue a person that has been hit or to recover lost property) until it has been confirmed by Hitachi that it has been "electrically isolated." Not sure if this just requires the pantographs to be dropped or traincrew have to undertake additional actions to what they would ordinary do, or whether a fitter needs to physically attend the train.
This article seems to be unrelated to that though. More about the risks to on-board staff from cluttered staff areas / wet floors?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I could be wrong but hasn't this article been widely panned for being riddled with factual inaccuracies? The RMT reported their concerns (which seem justified) but the Mirror have cribbed off that and then turned it into a "SHOCK HORROR" expose? For instance the £8bn is the cost of the IEP programme not how much it will cost to fix any issues?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Emergency services and staff have been advised not to go underneath the train (for example to rescue a person that has been hit or to recover lost property) until it has been confirmed by Hitachi that it has been "electrically isolated."

Same with a 700. Assuming they have the same piece of equipment underneath, its a sensible safety precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.