• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimbar

Oh indeed, and with the retention of the onboard shop / buffet area, the East Coast sets where already a step ahead. But they were delivered with the (compared to what was there before in the MkIII and MkIV stock) poor luggage racks that blight the GW ones. It's good to see LNER listening to the feedback and managing to have these luggage racks changed in what seems to be such a stringently controlled contract with Agility Trains.

I think further changes will be made. Hitachi/DfT/Agility Trains v David Horne there is only ever going to be one winner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
LNER making something of a mockery of the GWR protestations.
Is it? I still can't help but wonder if there isn't an element of LNER's contractual position vis-à-vis the DfT giving them something of an advantage over a TOC in the midst of a Direct Award. I'm quite open to being told that that's got nothing to do with it as it's just an idle thought I've had!

northernbelle

Is it? I still can't help but wonder if there isn't an element of LNER's contractual position vis-à-vis the DfT giving them something of an advantage over a TOC in the midst of a Direct Award. I'm quite open to being told that that's got nothing to do with it as it's just an idle thought I've had!
No, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Crisps

Just did a short hop Darlington-Newcastle on 1E05 (0700 Kings X - Edinburgh) which this morning is being worked by 801205. I’m in coach K, which looks like the unreservable Standard coach as none of the Standard seats are reserved. My initial thoughts:

Good points:
- The seats! (yes I know!) Yes they’re firmer, but they’re still perfectly serviceable. I would actually place them as more comfortable than a Voyager but a little less than a Mk3/4. The extra leg room helps. I don’t find them uncomfortable at all.
- The reservation system is working and is very noticeable when entering a carriage.
- Air conditioning better than on the older trains, much cooler. I find the older trains far too warm.
- I don’t find the lighting too bright.
- Impressive acceleration

Bad points:
- Ride quality is noticeably worse.
- I can see why LNER are putting more luggage racks in, they’re definitely needed!
- First class is not immediately obvious from the outside. There’s just a small sign near the door.
- The traction motors whir a lot when speeding up and slowing down.
I perhaps need to wait to do a longer journey for a better review, but on the whole, they’re not bad trains at all.

I’ll be expecting a visit from the men in white coats momentarily! :lol:

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I’m in coach K, which looks like the unreservable Standard coach as none of the Standard seats are reserved.

Agree - K was unreserved on the 14.45 Leeds - King's Cross as well today, 800 102. As was A if the display at Peterborough, where I boarded it, was accurate.

FQTV

Agree - K was unreserved on the 14.45 Leeds - King's Cross as well today, 800 102. As was A if the display at Peterborough, where I boarded it, was accurate.

Coach K on a 9 car is reservable, but the current algorithm for auto-allocation seems to avoid it. If you use the LNER seat selector, it’s available.

The unreserved carriage is currently Coach G on a 9 car set, which is the carriage that includes the buffet.

jymiee

Coach K on a 9 car is reservable, but the current algorithm for auto-allocation seems to avoid it. If you use the LNER seat selector, it’s available.

The unreserved carriage is currently Coach G on a 9 car set, which is the carriage that includes the buffet.

Coach G is also reservable. Take today's 1E14 for example which has 58/72 seats in G reserved. There are no fully unreserved coaches on board however staff have suggested it. Wouldn't cause too much harm to use the standard portion of coach K (half a carriage) which for the most part remains unreserved anyways.

jymiee

I'm led to believe it actually involved LNER asking the DFT to join them for a day at KGX to witness firsthand the struggles experienced with the available luggage space before they seriously entertained the idea... I don't think it's too surprising however given the DFTs wish to cram as many seats in as possible.

Marton

I'm led to believe it actually involved LNER asking the DFT to join them for a day at KGX to witness firsthand the struggles experienced with the available luggage space before they seriously entertained the idea... I don't think it's too surprising however given the DFTs wish to cram as many seats in as possible.

perhaps the DfT should relocate to the provinces.

Somewhere with high unemployment like Hartlepool maybe.

Having just been on a MkIV from Edinburgh to Darlington with virtually no empty seats in First how is an Azuma supposed to cope?

I suspect the losers will be those of us who can’t predict travel times and use flexible tickets as we will find no where to sit for our £350+.

td97

Established Member
Apparently one of the Azumas (on 1E06) had a scrape with P4 at Newcastle today.

jymiee

Apparently one of the Azumas (on 1E06) had a scrape with P4 at Newcastle today.

Just had a check and it looks like you’re correct 800108 was the booked unit. I know there are certain restrictions surrounding 80X trains and NCL P4 but I won’t go into detail for the sake of the crew involved as this may become an investigated incident.

jymiee

Having just been on a MkIV from Edinburgh to Darlington with virtually no empty seats in First how is an Azuma supposed to cope?

I suspect the losers will be those of us who can’t predict travel times and use flexible tickets as we will find no where to sit for our £350+.

Yep, despite being promised that the % reservation/advance ticket sales level has been adjusted accordingly (which I guess is as much as LNER can realistically do) to keep it the same as the heritage fleet I’ve noticed a few occasions now where first has been full with passengers standing. Worth noting however that a 9 car Azuma has only 11 less first seats* than an HST and there are plenty HSTs that run around with empty seats in 1st. Having said that it probably wouldn’t have done too much harm to have made the composite coach (K) a full length first class coach.

*this might change during the upcoming increase in luggage space

Marton

All very well, but I may not want to travel on the particular train I booked if I don’t have a seat. So what happens then?
Exactly. I may have a seat on the 1500 but be free to go at 1330 or need to stay to 1730 or even the day before or after. When I used the 1002 from York earlier in the week the number of green lights in the Azuma was tiny.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If one were being cynical one might suggest that perhaps one of the reasons why the weekend first upgrade, for example, increased to £35 to/from London and £25 on other routes was because of reduced supply so a need to maximise revenue from those remaining seats...

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Don't think I'd appreciated the changed ratio- assuming the figures on wikipedia are right they've lost 12(hst)/33(mark IV) 1st class seats but gained 81(hst)/120(mark IV) standard class seats

(call it what you want but it will always be hard to find people with sympathy for anyone who can afford flexible 1st class tickets)

FQTV

Don't think I'd appreciated the changed ratio- assuming the figures on wikipedia are right they've lost 12(hst)/33(mark IV) 1st class seats but gained 81(hst)/120(mark IV) standard class seats

(call it what you want but it will always be hard to find people with sympathy for anyone who can afford flexible 1st class tickets)

By the same token, LNER does seem to be throttling the supply of First Advances on Azuma services, perhaps to mitigate the reduction in the number of seats and/or to favour Anytime ticket holders.

Anecdotally, and despite what might be reported here and elsewhere regarding comparisons with HSTs and MkIVs, I’m hearing a lot of very favourable feedback on Azuma services between London and York ..... Newcastle.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anecdotally, and despite what might be reported here and elsewhere regarding comparisons with HSTs and MkIVs, I’m hearing a lot of very favourable feedback on Azuma services between London and York ..... Newcastle.

Fear not the re-education teams will soon catch up with them to ensure they are once again appreciative of the correct orthodoxy. :lol:

Marton

Very different to those I meet who are regular travellers to/from London/Peterborough and York/Darlington who find them a rough ride, too bright (maybe now solved) and above all uncomfortable.

A comment from the crew on a couple of occasions in first is that they don’t have enough storage for drinks etc.

Roger100

Luggage on the GC 180 services to London is not usually a problem at Hartlepool, not many get on at the start point, Sunderland. The only issues are the Saturday morning Hen Party Specials, much merriment, private cash 'bars' in operation, and wet seats when they get off at York. But it can be pretty packed on Northern's 2-car Pacer/156/158 local trains. We have yet to see an 800/802 there, be interesting to hear how they squeal on the tight bends either side of the station should one venture our way on diversion.

Mordac

Established Member
Luggage on the GC 180 services to London is not usually a problem at Hartlepool, not many get on at the start point, Sunderland. The only issues are the Saturday morning Hen Party Specials, much merriment, private cash 'bars' in operation, and wet seats when they get off at York. But it can be pretty packed on Northern's 2-car Pacer/156/158 local trains. We have yet to see an 800/802 there, be interesting to hear how they squeal on the tight bends either side of the station should one venture our way on diversion.
o_Oo_O
I'm never sitting down on a train again.

Bayum

Established Member
Not gonna lie, little bit disappointed that my train to Kings X is not an Azuma. Even more disappointed that it was 40 down when it finally arrived in York!

Anyone know what’s happened to either of the above issues?

Bayum

Established Member
Now been diverted via Lincoln due to overrunning engineering works...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Guard said they were overrunning. LNER website said it was trains post 1300 that would be affected.
Just that NRES says the diversions start after 1300. Surely that’ll be the time they get into in the relevant area, not necessarily the start of their journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.